3 wheel Bicycle design: Front Axle

In summary, this designer is trying to develop a front loading cargo bicycle that uses a rod to link the front and rear wheels. The problem is that the rod is unable to move freely, and the design relies on the turning radius of the handlebars to ensure the cargo remains in line.
Senoraraton
I'm trying to understand the angles and force involved with my current project of building a 3 wheel front loading cargo bicycle. The current design stipulations maintain that the rear wheel always remain inline with the cargo(There are a vast majority of designs that do not adhere to this). I'm trying to develop the front axle system and have seen one design that links the headset to the left wheel and then runs a straight rod to the right wheel. I would like to split the axle underneath of the cargo box, in the shape of a T.

If I have a rod to the center of the cargo box directly between the two wheels, when the headset turns it will move the rod towards one wheel, and away from the other. This creates an arc that I can adjust based upon the turning radius of the handlebars. My thoughts on this though are that if the side axles to the wheels are mounted directly centrally in the hubs, then this force of pushing/pulling is going to achieve nothing because the force is directly perpendicular to wheels? How do I translate this arc into a pushing of one wheel, and an equal force of pulling on the other wheel to ensure they remain in unison, and turn in the proper direction?

Engineering news on Phys.org
So after some thought, I am considered not making a T design, but using a Y design with with either a central pivot point creating equal distance arms from the headset and wheels to a central focal point, or possibly just using two equal distance arms from the headset to the wheels without a central connection point. The underlying problem that I can't quite understand is that the points are all fixed, and the rod lengths are fixed as well, which means everything is bound up and can't articulate.

I'm having a hard time visualizing your design. Can you post a drawing? Even a rough sketch would be helpful.

This might be useful for me. I'm working on my 2 wheeled Unicycle.

Related to 3 wheel Bicycle design: Front Axle

What is the purpose of the front axle in a 3 wheel bicycle design?

The front axle in a 3 wheel bicycle design serves as the pivot point for the front wheel. It allows the rider to steer the bicycle and provides stability while riding.

What are the different types of front axles used in 3 wheel bicycle designs?

The two most common types of front axles used in 3 wheel bicycle designs are solid axles and quick release axles. Solid axles are a single piece of metal that attaches the front wheel to the frame, while quick release axles allow for easy removal and installation of the front wheel.

How does the design of the front axle affect the handling of the bicycle?

The design of the front axle can greatly impact the handling of the bicycle. A wider front axle can provide more stability, while a narrower axle allows for tighter turns. Additionally, the material and weight of the front axle can also affect the overall handling of the bicycle.

What are some common issues that can arise with the front axle in a 3 wheel bicycle design?

One common issue with front axles is looseness, which can cause the front wheel to wobble or make steering difficult. Another issue is corrosion or rust, especially in areas with high levels of moisture. It is important to regularly inspect and maintain the front axle to prevent these issues.

What should I consider when choosing a front axle for my 3 wheel bicycle design?

When choosing a front axle, consider factors such as the intended use of the bicycle, the weight of the rider, and the terrain it will be ridden on. It is also important to choose a high-quality, durable axle to ensure safe and smooth riding.