3D closed-form triangulation solution

In summary, the speaker is trying to find the position of a target point in 3D space using the distances between the target point and three known points. They are looking for a simple, closed-form solution for the coordinate variables, but are having trouble finding information on it. They clarify that this problem is not triangulation, but rather trilateration.
Lagomorph
Hi,
I have 3 points in 3D space whose positions are known to me and a third target point, whose position I am trying to find. I can obtain the distance between each of the 3 points and the target point. I can easily get 3 equations to obtain the 3 coordinate variables, but these equations are nonlinear.

Do you guys know how I could get a simple, closed-form solution for each of the coordinate variables defining the target point? I figured that this would be a fairly standard problem, but I'm having finding anything written about it.

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
This isn't triangulation. Triangulation involves angles. You want something involving distance ... trilateration. See this wiki article on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trilateration" .

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi there,

It sounds like you are trying to solve the problem of 3D triangulation, which is a common problem in geometry and computer graphics. In order to find a closed-form solution, you will need to use a mathematical method known as the "law of cosines." This law allows you to calculate the angles of a triangle using the lengths of its sides.

To apply this to your problem, you will need to set up a system of equations using the known distances between the three points and the target point. From there, you can use the law of cosines to solve for the angles of the triangle formed by these points. Once you have the angles, you can use basic trigonometry to find the coordinates of the target point.

There are also various software and online tools available to help with 3D triangulation, so you may want to consider using one of those as well. I hope this helps and good luck with your problem!

Related to 3D closed-form triangulation solution

What is a 3D closed-form triangulation solution?

A 3D closed-form triangulation solution is a mathematical method for determining the position of a point in 3D space using the known coordinates of three other points and their distances from the point of interest.

How is the 3D closed-form triangulation solution different from other methods?

The 3D closed-form triangulation solution is different from other methods because it uses a closed-form solution, which means it can be solved algebraically rather than iteratively. This allows for faster and more accurate calculations.

What are the applications of the 3D closed-form triangulation solution?

The 3D closed-form triangulation solution is commonly used in navigation, surveying, and geodesy to determine the position of objects or points on a map or in physical space.

What are the limitations of the 3D closed-form triangulation solution?

The 3D closed-form triangulation solution assumes that the distances between the points are known with high accuracy and that the points lie on a flat plane. It also does not account for any potential errors or noise in the measurements.

Are there any variations of the 3D closed-form triangulation solution?

Yes, there are several variations of the 3D closed-form triangulation solution, such as the weighted least squares solution, which takes into account uncertainties in the measurements, and the iterative Gauss-Newton solution, which can handle non-linear relationships between the points.