3D isotropic harmonic oscillator vs. diatomic molecule

In summary, the conversation discusses the Hamiltonian of a diatomic molecule and a potential error in calculating its heat capacity due to the potential energy term. The correct Hamiltonian is given as R = |r1 - r2| - r0, where r1 and r2 are vector positions of both particles. The conversation also explores the relationship between rotational and vibrational degrees of freedom and the possible solutions for the rotating oscillator.
Heirot
The Hamiltonian of the diatomic molecule is given by H = p1^2 / 2m + p2^2 / 2m + 1/2 k R^2, where R equals the distance between atoms. Using this result, given in standard texbooks, I keep geting C = 9/2 kT instead of 7/2 kT for heat capacity. I've traced down my problem to the potential energy term. I seem to be calculating as if I have a 3D isotropic oscillator instead of two point particles connected by a spring. It appears as these two systems have the same Hamiltonian, but that surely can't be so. My question is, what's the right Hamiltonian for a given system and how to see that these two systems have different degrees of freedom?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Basically, your error consists in writing R instead of R-R_0 with R_0 being the equilibrium distance of the molecule. Hence there is no longer a single minimum at R=0 but a sphere of degenerate minima.

Thanks for the link! So, you're saying that the textbooks give the wrong Hamiltonian? It should be R = |r1 - r2| - r0, where r1 and r2 are vector positions of both particles? I don't see how this reduces the number od quadratic contributions to the Hamiltonian from 3 to 1 as is necessary for the correct heat capacity.

"The textbooks"? How many did you check?

You get 3/2kT for the translational degrees of freedom of the center of mass, kT for the approximately harmonic motion around r_0 in the radial co-ordinate (distance) and kT for the rotation trough the degenerate minima giving 7/2 kT in total.

This is a problem from e.g. Huang. Doesn't the r0 term couple rotational and vibrational degrees of freedom? I.e. r0 is R dependent because of the centrifugal effect?

Indeed it is, but you can usually treat this dependence as a small perturbation. Obviously, the dependence on R-R_0 is not exactly quadratic, etc. However, that Hamiltonian and wavefunction can be justified for a diatomic molecule as the zeroth order term in a development in the quotient of electron to nuclear mass. That was the content of the original paper by Born M, Oppenheimer R. 1927. Ann. Physik 84:457–84

Thank you very much for the clarification! Is there, perhaps, an exact solution for the rotating oscillator?

You are wellcome. I fear there is no exact solution for the rotator oscillator.

Related to 3D isotropic harmonic oscillator vs. diatomic molecule

1. What is the difference between a 3D isotropic harmonic oscillator and a diatomic molecule?

A 3D isotropic harmonic oscillator is a theoretical model used to describe the motion of a particle bound to a central point by a force that varies linearly with the particle's displacement from that point. On the other hand, a diatomic molecule is a real-world system consisting of two atoms bonded together and exhibiting vibrational motion along the bond. In short, the main difference is that one is a theoretical model while the other is a physical system.

2. How do the energy levels of a 3D isotropic harmonic oscillator compare to those of a diatomic molecule?

The energy levels of a 3D isotropic harmonic oscillator are evenly spaced and increase in a linear fashion as the energy level number increases. In contrast, the energy levels of a diatomic molecule are not evenly spaced and can follow different patterns depending on the specific molecule. Additionally, the energy levels of a diatomic molecule can be affected by external factors such as temperature and pressure.

3. Can the 3D isotropic harmonic oscillator model be applied to a diatomic molecule?

While the 3D isotropic harmonic oscillator model is often used to describe diatomic molecules, it is not a perfect representation. This is because diatomic molecules have more complex energy levels due to the motion of two atoms instead of one in the oscillator model. However, the model can still provide valuable insights and approximations for diatomic molecules.

4. How does the motion of a particle in a 3D isotropic harmonic oscillator differ from the motion of atoms in a diatomic molecule?

In a 3D isotropic harmonic oscillator, the particle's motion is limited to oscillating back and forth in a symmetrical manner around the central point. In a diatomic molecule, the atoms are also oscillating back and forth along the bond, but their motion is not necessarily symmetrical. Additionally, the atoms can also rotate and vibrate in different directions, leading to more complex motion.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying the 3D isotropic harmonic oscillator and diatomic molecules?

Understanding the behavior of particles in a 3D isotropic harmonic oscillator can provide insight into the properties of materials with similar energy levels, such as crystals. Studying diatomic molecules can help scientists understand chemical bonding, molecular motion, and the behavior of gases. This knowledge can be applied in fields such as materials science, chemistry, and engineering.