3DAnisotropic oscillator in Spherical Harmonic basis-States with L_z=0

In summary, the code calculates states of a three dimensional anisotropic oscillator with spherical coordinates, but only states with Lz=0 can be calculated because the potential has a spherical harmonic.
srihari83
I've been trying to prove a rather simple looking concept. I have a code that calculates states of a 3D anisotropic oscillator in spherical coordinates. The spherical harmonics basis used to expand it's solutions in radial coordinate constraint the spectrum such that when the Hamiltonian is diagonalized it calculates only states with Lz=0, because the potential has a spherical harmonic (Y10)2. i.e.

VHO=1/2[itex]\hbar[/itex]m [[itex]\omega[/itex]xy2(x2+y2) + [itex]\omega[/itex]z2z2]
VHO=1/2[itex]\hbar[/itex]m [[itex]\omega[/itex]xy2(x2+y2+z2) + ([itex]\omega[/itex]z2-[itex]\omega[/itex]xy2)z2]
Since z=rCos(θ)
VHO=1/2[itex]\hbar[/itex]m [r2([itex]\omega[/itex]xy2 + ([itex]\omega[/itex]z2-[itex]\omega[/itex]xy2)2[itex]\pi[/itex]/3(Y10)2]

Now, we know the system spectrum in Cartesian ENx,Ny,Nz = 1/2[itex]\hbar[/itex][[itex]\omega[/itex]xy(Nx+Ny+1) + [itex]\omega[/itex]z(Nz+1/2)]. So to calculate this spectrum on paper for verification one can either
(a) calculate spectrum for 3D anisotropic oscillator in spherical coordinates directly OR
(b) look for states with Lz=0 in terms of Nx, Ny, Nz by introducing constraints on Nx, Ny & Nz -> like Nx=Ny, Nz=0 OR Nx=2Ny, Nz always even or some such rules..
Does anyone have advice on how to derive the anisotropic oscillator spectrum in spherical coordinates (using regular spherical harmonics Ymlas basis for solutions).. if not any advice on how to derive constraints on Nx, Ny, Nz to give Lz=0 states only?? Any help will be greatly appreciated.. thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is it isotropic in the x-y plane? I can't tell from what you wrote ...

Yes, it is isotropic in x-y plane.. But sorry for the confusion, I had written the wrong Hamiltonian.. I've corrected the main question now..

You can find combinations of Nx and Ny that give Lz=0 by writing Lz = x py - y px and expressing x, px, y, py in terms of ax and ax+; you should find something like ##L_z \sim a_x^\dagger a_y-a_y^\dagger a_x##. From this you can see that when Lz acts on |Nx,Ny>, Nx+Ny is unchanged. So fix Nx+Ny to some particular value, and find the linear combinations of |Nx,Ny> that are annihilated by Lz. This is an eigenvalue problem for a finite-dimensional matrix.

I suspect a spherical harmonic expansion of an exact eigenstate |Nx,Ny,Nz> requires an infinite number of terms, except at special values of the ratios of the frequencies.

Addendum: you always need an infinite number of spherical harmonics whenever ##\omega_{xy}\ne\omega_z##. This is because the gaussian factor of the wave function will have some ##\cos\theta## dependence in the exponent, and this can't be expressed as a finite linear combination of ##Y_{\ell m}##'s.

Avodyne said:
Addendum: you always need an infinite number of spherical harmonics whenever ##\omega_{xy}\ne\omega_z##. This is because the gaussian factor of the wave function will have some ##\cos\theta## dependence in the exponent, and this can't be expressed as a finite linear combination of ##Y_{\ell m}##'s.
@Avodyne: That is correct. The basis is a "spherical" harmonic basis.. so any anisotropy will have to be an infinite series expansion, though the degree of anisotropy i.e ##|\omega_{xy}/\omega_z-1|## will decide the numerical convergence.. your earlier suggestion was helpful, thanks!

Related to 3DAnisotropic oscillator in Spherical Harmonic basis-States with L_z=0

1. What is a 3D Anisotropic Oscillator in Spherical Harmonic basis?

A 3D Anisotropic Oscillator in Spherical Harmonic basis is a physical system that can be described by a Hamiltonian in the form of a sum of harmonic oscillators. It includes three different frequencies in each direction, making it an anisotropic oscillator. The basis functions used to describe the system are spherical harmonics, which take into account the angular dependence of the system.

2. What does the parameter L_z=0 represent in this system?

The parameter L_z=0 represents the total angular momentum in the z-direction of the system. In this case, it means that the system has no angular momentum in the z-direction, making it a spherically symmetric system.

3. How are the energy levels of this system determined?

The energy levels of the 3D Anisotropic Oscillator in Spherical Harmonic basis are determined by solving the Schrödinger equation for the Hamiltonian of the system. The solutions to this equation result in quantized energy levels, with each level corresponding to a different combination of quantum numbers.

4. What is the significance of the spherical harmonics in this system?

Spherical harmonics play a crucial role in describing the angular dependence of the system. They are used as basis functions to describe the wave function of the system and can be used to determine the probability of finding the particle at different angles.

5. How is the 3D Anisotropic Oscillator in Spherical Harmonic basis related to real-world systems?

This system can be used to model various physical systems, such as atoms, molecules, and nuclei. It provides a more accurate description of these systems compared to simpler models, as it takes into account the anisotropy and angular dependence of the system. It is also used in various fields of physics, such as quantum mechanics, solid-state physics, and chemical physics.