4 True/False questions about synapses

• Thread starter The thinker
  • Start date
In summary: The time course of EPSP is also influenced by the membrane time constant, the synaptic conductance change, and the speed of neurotransmitter evacuation from the cleft. In summary, the duration and time course of postsynaptic conductance change and EPSP are determined by a combination of the concentration of neurotransmitter, affinity of receptors, membrane time constant, and speed of neurotransmitter evacuation from the cleft.
The thinker
I am revising for my Biophysics module exam (I am actually a physicist), I've been going over old past papers but am having trouble with these questions.

Homework Statement

a) The duration of postsynaptic conductance change is influenced by the concentration of neurotransmitter and affinity of receptors.

b) The time course of postsynaptic potential is different to that of the underlying conductance change.

c) The duration of the EPSP is determined by the time course of transmitter release.

d) The time course of EPSP is determined by diffusion of the neurotransmitter from the cleft

The Attempt at a Solution

a) True, the higher the affinity and the greater the concentration of neurotransmitter the longer the ion channels will be open and hence the longer the postsynaptic conductance change will last.

b) False

c) False, the duration of the EPSP is also influenced by the membrane time constant, the synaptic conductance change and the speed of neurotransmitter evacuation from the cleft.

d) False, the time course of the EPSP is also influenced by the membrane time constant, the synaptic conductance change and the speed of neurotransmitter evacuation from the cleft.

Basically I am confused about how all these factors exactly influence each other but the online lecture notes are terrible and I can't afford a book! Could anyone help clarify?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The duration of the postsynaptic conductance change is determined by how long the ion channels remain open. The concentration of neurotransmitter and the affinity of the receptors influence how long the channels remain open. The time course of the postsynaptic potential is different to that of the underlying conductance change because the potential is a combination of the conductance change, the membrane time constant, the synaptic conductance change, and the speed of neurotransmitter evacuation from the cleft. The duration of the EPSP is determined by these factors as well.

Related to 4 True/False questions about synapses

1. What is a synapse?

A synapse is a junction between two nerve cells, where information is transmitted from one cell to another through the release of chemicals called neurotransmitters.

2. How does a synapse transmit information?

A synapse transmits information through the release of neurotransmitters from the presynaptic neuron, which then bind to receptors on the postsynaptic neuron, causing a change in its electrical or chemical activity.

3. Can a synapse be strengthened or weakened?

Yes, synapses can undergo a process called synaptic plasticity, which involves changes in the strength of the connection between neurons. This can be influenced by factors such as repeated stimulation, learning, and aging.

4. What is the role of synapses in memory and learning?

Synapses play a crucial role in memory and learning by allowing for the formation of new connections between neurons. This allows for the encoding, storage, and retrieval of information in the brain.

5. Can synapses malfunction or be damaged?

Yes, synapses can malfunction or be damaged due to various factors such as aging, disease, or injury. This can lead to disruptions in communication between neurons and can contribute to neurological disorders.