4th Order Variation of Parameters

I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for, but I hope this helps. In summary, the complementary solution for the given differential equation is y_c(t) = C_1 cost + C_2 sint + C_3 tcost + C_4 tsint. To find the particular solution, you can use the method of variation of parameters or solve the equation (D2+1)y=f and then (D2+1)2y=f.
VitaX
Find the complementary solution of [itex]y^\left(4\right) + 2y'' + y = sint[/itex]

Homogeneous Form would be [itex]y^\left(4\right) + 2y'' + y = 0[/itex]

[itex]r^4 + 2r^2 + r = 0 \rightarrow r(r^3 + 2r + 1) = 0[/itex]

This is where I'm stuck. Once I find [itex]y_c(t)[/itex] I should be able to finish the problem, but I'm having trouble at this step. What would be the next step here?

The book's solution is [itex]y_c(t) = C_1 cost + C_2 sint + C_3 tcost + C_4 tsint[/itex] which would suggest complex numbers involved here.

Edit: Found my error, it was in the r equation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
(D4+2D2+1)=(D2+1)2
since sine is already a solution consider a particular solution of the form
At^2 sin t+Bt^2 cos t

edit:I forgot you wanted variation of parameters
just take
[itex]y(t) = C_1(t) cost + C_2(t) sint + C_3(t) tcost + C_4(t) tsint[/itex]
complex numbers are optional, you just need to be able to solve
(D2+1)y=0
to deal with quadratic terms that are irreducible over reals

Last edited:
After taking the particular solution to be:

[itex]y_p(t) = U_1 (t)cost + U_2 (t)sint + U_3 (t)tcost + U_4 (t)tsint[/itex]

I then take the 4 derivatives and I ended up with the following 4 Equations (1st 3 are from the conditions that the U(t) derivatives add up to 0 while the last equation is derived from inputting the the derivatives into the original DE and cancelling out like terms):

[itex]U'_1 (t)cost + U'_2 (t)sint + U'_3 (t)tcost + U'_4 (t)tsint = 0[/itex]

[itex]-U'_1 (t)sint + U'_2 (t)cost + U'_3 (t)cost - U'_3 (t)tsint + U'_4 (t)sint + U'_4 (t)tcost = 0[/itex]

[itex]-U'_1 (t)cost - U'_2 (t)sint - 2U'_3 (t)sint - U'_3 (t)tscost + 2U'_4 (t)cost - U'_4 (t)tsint = 0[/itex]

[itex]U'_1 (t)sint - U'_2 (t)cost - 3U'_3 (t)cost + U'_3 (t)tsint - 3U'_4 (t)sint - U'_4 (t)tcost = sint[/itex]

But at this point, it is a complete monster. Can anyone possibly solve this mess?

It is a bit messy, but the differential equations part it settled and only algebra remains. It also helps that only one right hand side is nonzero. It is also possible to solve
(D2+1)y=f and then solve it again hence solving
(D2+1)2y=f

lurflurf said:
It is a bit messy, but the differential equations part it settled and only algebra remains. It also helps that only one right hand side is nonzero. It is also possible to solve
(D2+1)y=f and then solve it again hence solving
(D2+1)2y=f

Hmm, what exactly do you mean by those 2 equations?

(D2+1)y=f
y''+y=f
(D2+1)2y=f
y''''+2y''+y=f
the second can be reduced to the first
if
u''+u=f
and
y''+y=u
then
y''''+2y''+y=f

or just do all that algebra

Related to 4th Order Variation of Parameters

1. What is the 4th order variation of parameters method?

The 4th order variation of parameters method is a mathematical technique used to solve higher-order differential equations with non-constant coefficients. It involves finding a particular solution by varying the parameters of a general solution to the associated homogeneous equation.

2. When is the 4th order variation of parameters method used?

This method is primarily used when solving higher-order linear differential equations with non-constant coefficients, where the coefficients are not easily factorable. It is also used when the initial conditions are non-zero, making it difficult to use the method of undetermined coefficients.

3. What is the process for using the 4th order variation of parameters method?

The first step is to find the general solution to the associated homogeneous equation. Then, we assume a particular solution in the form of the general solution with undetermined coefficients. These coefficients are then substituted into the original differential equation, and the resulting system of equations is solved to find the values of the coefficients. Finally, the general solution and particular solution are combined to obtain the final solution to the differential equation.

4. What are the advantages of using the 4th order variation of parameters method?

This method allows for the solution of higher-order differential equations with non-constant coefficients, which cannot be solved by other methods such as the method of undetermined coefficients or the method of annihilators. It also allows for non-homogeneous initial conditions to be taken into account.

5. Are there any limitations to the 4th order variation of parameters method?

One limitation is that it can only be used for linear differential equations with non-constant coefficients. It also requires a lot of algebraic manipulation and can become quite complex for higher-order equations. Additionally, it may not always produce a closed-form solution, and numerical methods may need to be used to obtain an approximate solution.