555 timer circuit; frequency variation

In summary, the experiment found that the frequency of the LED connected to a 555 timer circuit varied depending on the values of the resistors and capacitor. However, when the power supply voltage and regulation were taken into account, the frequency remained within the expected range.
zahly
I conducted an experiment involving a 555IC timer circuit and the hypothesis investigated the frequency and period of the LED connected.

Using the formula for frequency; 1.44/(Ra + 2Rb)C
where R1= 1000R
R2= 10000R
C = 10uF

the frequency equals 6.857 (rounded value)

now using data studio (a reliable computer program which can graph the frequency) the frequency equals 1.429 (rounded value)

Now, I've taken into consideration the 5% tolerance of the resistors used, and the variation on the capacitor as these may account for the changed frequency but this still doesn't explain this rather large difference in expected frequency and observed frequency...

Any explanations for this large difference?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've never trusted that new-fangled math stuff, but the 555 is so old school that that formula should get you into the right ballpark. Have you tried a couple more chips to see if they are all the same? What is your power-supply voltage and regulation? I could see a low power voltage or a lot of ripple fooling the chip's comparators, as they fire at 1/3 and 2/3 of the supply.

If the supply voltage is not figured into the formula, which I don't believe it is, then it should make no difference as long as it is within the specs on the data sheet. I would suspect capacitor tolerance.

schip666! said:
I've never trusted that new-fangled math stuff, but the 555 is so old school that that formula should get you into the right ballpark. Have you tried a couple more chips to see if they are all the same? What is your power-supply voltage and regulation? I could see a low power voltage or a lot of ripple fooling the chip's comparators, as they fire at 1/3 and 2/3 of the supply.

I checked the power supply voltage and regulation and it is 6V and the regulation is very high. So the ripple is minimal.

Also i have tried a few chips all returning the same results.

Thanks for the other advice about the capacitor tolerance. I measured it with the capacitance meter and it seemed fine, but I'll try a few more capacitors.

Averagesupernova said:
If the supply voltage is not figured into the formula, which I don't believe it is, then it should make no difference as long as it is within the specs on the data sheet. I would suspect capacitor tolerance.

I was thinking if the supply voltage was quite low, the tolerance between the switching voltages on the capacitor (dis)charging circuit might swamp the calculation. But the OP seems to have good power so that's not an issue.

It's been a while since I used a 555 and I think I just poked capacitors into the circuit until I got the time I wanted, so I don't remember how accurate the calculation is...

FAQ: 555 timer circuit; frequency variation

1. What is a 555 timer circuit and how does it work?

A 555 timer circuit is an integrated circuit (IC) that is commonly used in electronic circuits to generate precise timing pulses. It consists of an array of resistors, capacitors, and transistors that work together to create a stable oscillating signal. The output frequency of the circuit can be varied by adjusting the values of the resistors and capacitors.

2. How can I vary the frequency of a 555 timer circuit?

The frequency of a 555 timer circuit can be varied by changing the values of the resistors and capacitors in the circuit. The frequency is directly proportional to the values of these components, so increasing the values will result in a lower frequency and decreasing the values will result in a higher frequency.

3. What is the maximum frequency that can be achieved with a 555 timer circuit?

The maximum frequency that can be achieved with a 555 timer circuit is typically around 500 kHz. However, this can vary depending on the specific IC and circuit design. It is important to note that the accuracy and stability of the frequency may also be affected by external factors such as temperature and supply voltage.

4. Can I use a 555 timer circuit for applications requiring precise timing?

While a 555 timer circuit can provide relatively accurate timing, it may not be suitable for applications that require extremely precise timing. This is because the frequency can be affected by external factors and the internal components may have slight variations in their values. For more accurate timing, specialized ICs or external components may be needed.

5. Are there any limitations to the frequency range of a 555 timer circuit?

There are some limitations to the frequency range of a 555 timer circuit. It may not be able to generate very low frequencies (below 1 Hz) or very high frequencies (above 500 kHz). Additionally, the frequency range may also be limited by the specific components used in the circuit and the desired accuracy of the output signal.

Back