555 Voltage Controlled Oscillator 1v/octave

In summary: So if you want 1v/octave, you need your voltage at pin 5 to be an exponential curve (or a stepwise approximation of one) that's 1/12th of a volt per step.The easiest way to do that is to make a resistor divider network. But the resistance of the resistors you choose will need to be very carefully chosen to achieve the proper curve.If you want to use a keyboard with a different voltage step size, you'll need to recalculate your resistor values for that size. (And of course, you can't have different 1v/oct curves for different oscillators and have them track together.)The circuit
Siike92
Hey guys, I'm working on a voltage controlled oscillator to use in a modular synth system and here's the schematic. http://ecelab.com/circuit-vco-555.jpg I also have a one octave keyboard that I made and each key is 1/12 of a volt. My question is to what frequency I should tune the oscillator to get 1 volt per octave?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Good luck with that...

I couldn't find any spec for the 555's voltage control but I believe it has a narrow range and is probably not very linear in it's response. The further complication is that you want exponential, not linear, control anyway. And you will want it to be temperature compensated so your tuning doesn't drift all over your key signature.

I googled "1 volt per octave voltage control oscillator" and came up with some very nostalgic pages about Serge and EMU synths (I also noted a price list for the Serge modules, the VCO setting is at $1600US...oy...I remember buying mine from the factory for about $150 and thinking it was expensive). But this page has a schematic and description that looks pretty good: http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs48_vco.html

schip666! said:
Good luck with that...

I couldn't find any spec for the 555's voltage control but I believe it has a narrow range and is probably not very linear in it's response. The further complication is that you want exponential, not linear, control anyway. And you will want it to be temperature compensated so your tuning doesn't drift all over your key signature.

I googled "1 volt per octave voltage control oscillator" and came up with some very nostalgic pages about Serge and EMU synths (I also noted a price list for the Serge modules, the VCO setting is at $1600US...oy...I remember buying mine from the factory for about $150 and thinking it was expensive). But this page has a schematic and description that looks pretty good: http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs48_vco.html

What if I used a LM13700? Here's the datasheet if you need it http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/87555.pdf. Do you think I'd be able to get 1v/octave out of it without too much hassle? Ultimately, I'd like to use an IC to keep the footprint small. I'm making a mini modular.

schip666! said:
Good luck with that...

Siike92 said:
What if I used a LM13700? Here's the datasheet if you need it http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/87555.pdf. Do you think I'd be able to get 1v/octave out of it without too much hassle? Ultimately, I'd like to use an IC to keep the footprint small. I'm making a mini modular.

the 1 volt per octave VCO dates back to the original Moogs. i had never thought of the 555 being a very good linear VCO. perhaps you might get away with it. if you refer to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/555_timer_IC

and use the "astable" circuit, and set R2 to zero and connect R1 to your linear control voltage, maybe you'll be able to make a linear VCO outa this. then to get to an exponential VCO, you might use your LM137000 as a "Logarithmic Current Source", you might get this to sort of work. it might not tune (be true to a perfect some volts per octave curve) well enough.

for log amps, i had always considered building one out of Analog Devices parts and for a VCO, you should look up circuits for that. i know in the olden days, a company called PAiA made kits with some pretty good and cheap linear VCOs.

so you need to figure out what makes a good linear VCO and what makes a good exponential converter, and then to figure out how to scale and connect the two.

Siike92 said:
Hey guys, I'm working on a voltage controlled oscillator to use in a modular synth system... I also have a one octave keyboard that I made and each key is 1/12 of a volt. My question is to what frequency I should tune the oscillator to get 1 volt per octave?
Way back when, I used Nationals LM324 Low Power Quad Op-amps for the VCOs (and bandpass filters) of a synthesizer. I made the VCOs using a single supply as in their datasheet.

attachment.php?attachmentid=48654&stc=1&d=1340777408.jpg

Instead of trying to manipulate your VCOs output to do the scaling, have you considered altering your keyboard to give the "scaled voltages"? In my opinion this would much simpler and your VCOs good linearity can be realized.

Attachments

• VCO.jpg
    VCO.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 11,671
Found another example schematic. It looks pretty much the same as my previous post but uses what appear to be more modern chips: http://www.birthofasynth.com/Thomas_Henry/Pages/XR-VCO.html with an XR-2206 function generator and an exponential control converter.

The trick, as others have mentioned, is to get a good linear frequency response from the oscillator and drive it with a good temperature compensated exponential converter on the control voltage.

Way back in the day, I think it was Dave Rossum at Emu, developed a set of VCx chips for their synths. But I can't find any mention of them online now.

The trick, as others have mentioned, is to get a good linear frequency response from the oscillator
to that end you'd probably want a current source to establish the charge rate of your capacitor.

Have you an understanding of how the 555 operates?
There's plenty of tutorials around. here's one.
http://www.williamson-labs.com/555-tutorial.htm
Changing pin 5 shifts your operating point along the charge curve which is nonlinear.
But basically, halving voltage at pin 5 will double the rate.
Pin 5 starts out at 2/3 supply voltage.

Thanks a lot guys! I'm starting to understand this better. I didn't know about expo converters previously and I couldn't fathom how a 1 volt change would ever equal an octave. That said though, I think I'm ditching the 555 for the LM13700. It will be a lot smaller with more waveforms options.

And Dlgoff, yeah, I have considered it. I'm extremely OCD though and the thought of not using the standard makes my stomach upset haha.

As far as the expo converter, thanks for the link Schipp! I also found this one http://home.comcast.net/~ijfritz/sy_cir9.htm . They both seem to have temp compensation, which is nice, but which one do you think would have a smaller footprint? Also, are these expo converters interchangeable with other vcos? In other words, would they work with my 555 vco and my LM13700? I know I'd probably have to turn some pots, but I'm guessing they would work with both right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Siike92 said:
And Dlgoff, yeah, I have considered it. I'm extremely OCD though and the thought of not using the standard makes my stomach upset haha.

I think a lot of us are like you in this regard. :wink:

Related to 555 Voltage Controlled Oscillator 1v/octave

1. What is a 555 Voltage Controlled Oscillator 1v/octave?

A 555 Voltage Controlled Oscillator 1v/octave is an electronic circuit that generates a periodic signal with a frequency that can be controlled by an external voltage input. It is commonly used in electronic music synthesizers to produce a variety of sound effects.

2. How does a 555 Voltage Controlled Oscillator 1v/octave work?

The 555 Voltage Controlled Oscillator 1v/octave is built around a 555 timer IC (Integrated Circuit) which acts as a flip-flop, switching between two states at a set frequency. The external voltage input is used to control the frequency of the output signal by changing the charging and discharging rates of the timing capacitor.

3. What is the significance of 1v/octave in a 555 Voltage Controlled Oscillator?

The term 1v/octave refers to the relationship between the voltage input and the resulting frequency output of the oscillator. This means that for every 1 volt increase in the input voltage, the frequency of the output signal will increase by one octave.

4. Can the frequency range of a 555 Voltage Controlled Oscillator 1v/octave be adjusted?

Yes, the frequency range of a 555 Voltage Controlled Oscillator 1v/octave can be adjusted by changing the values of the timing resistor and capacitor. This can be done by using potentiometers or variable resistors in the circuit to fine-tune the frequency output.

5. What are the applications of a 555 Voltage Controlled Oscillator 1v/octave?

A 555 Voltage Controlled Oscillator 1v/octave has a wide range of applications, including electronic music synthesizers, frequency modulation (FM) synthesis, and generating clock signals for digital circuits. It can also be used in scientific and engineering experiments that require a variable frequency signal.