5v to ≈70v dc-dc converter in the 1w range?

In summary, UL544 is a withdrawn standard that is important for safety reasons when designing medical devices. It is important to be aware of the safety concerns before trying to do something like this on your own.
OtherRealm
I am looking to find a 5v to ≈70v dc-dc converter in the 1w range or the equivalent transformer + diodes. This is for a bio stimulation device and I need a high voltage and low amperage. However, not having spent years researching and buying electrical components, I'm a little uncertain where to look and for what exactly to look for. The requirements are fairly straight forward but turning theory into something that is actually on the market is difficult without having been in the industry for a while. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
OtherRealm said:
I am looking to find a 5v to ≈70v dc-dc converter in the 1w range or the equivalent transformer + diodes. This is for a bio stimulation device and I need a high voltage and low amperage. However, not having spent years researching and buying electrical components, I'm a little uncertain where to look and for what exactly to look for. The requirements are fairly straight forward but turning theory into something that is actually on the market is difficult without having been in the industry for a while. Thanks.

Talk to me about UL544. What is it? Why is it important?

This is a biostimulation device to be used how? And for what purpose? on people? Horses? frog legs?

Where is the 5V coming from? You have 5V AC? (you need AC for a transformer)

I have a 5v, .2a (1w) pulse system with a 24 Hz/.7 duty cycle that originates from a dc inverter I found that meets those specifications. I know very little about transformers, I mainly know DC. Can you have an AC system that alternates between 0 and 5v instead of -5 and 5v (or whatever)? I would ideally like to just use a DC to DC voltage converter IC that has all the circuity worked out and my guess is that jury rigging something to get the voltage high and the amperage low would mess up the waveform. However, my guess is such a thing does not exist or is really expensive because it is so niche. This is just a proof of principle prototype of an electrical muscle stimulator for use on the human leg; I have a long way to go to be able to have something that will pass any kind of UL/FDA approval but I am aware if the safety concerns.

Please study up on Biomedical Engineering (preferably take a few local classes) before trying to do something like this. We won't be able to help you here.

EDIT -- you could also consider hiring a licensed professional EE with Biomedical experience.

Related to 5v to ≈70v dc-dc converter in the 1w range?

1. How does a 5v to ≈70v dc-dc converter work?

A 5v to ≈70v dc-dc converter works by taking in a low voltage input, in this case 5v, and using a series of electronic components to boost the voltage to a higher level, in this case ≈70v. This is achieved through the use of a switching regulator, which rapidly turns the input voltage on and off to create a higher output voltage.

2. What is the purpose of using a dc-dc converter?

The purpose of using a dc-dc converter is to efficiently convert one direct current (DC) voltage level to another. This is useful in situations where the input voltage is not suitable for the desired application, such as in the case of a 5v to ≈70v dc-dc converter where the low 5v input is not enough to power a device that requires a higher voltage.

3. How much power can a 5v to ≈70v dc-dc converter handle?

The maximum power that a 5v to ≈70v dc-dc converter can handle is 1 watt (1W). This means that it is capable of converting up to 1 watt of power from the input voltage to the output voltage. It is important to note that the converter may not be able to continuously handle 1 watt and may have a lower maximum power rating.

4. Are there any risks associated with using a 5v to ≈70v dc-dc converter?

There are risks associated with using any electronic component, including a 5v to ≈70v dc-dc converter. These risks can include electrical shocks, short circuits, and overheating. It is important to follow proper safety precautions and use the converter according to the manufacturer's instructions to minimize these risks.

5. Can a 5v to ≈70v dc-dc converter be used for different power ranges?

The 5v to ≈70v dc-dc converter is designed specifically for the 1 watt range. However, there are other dc-dc converters available that can handle different power ranges, such as 10 watts or 100 watts. It is important to select the appropriate converter for the desired power range to ensure efficient and safe operation.

Back