7-seg display never works for me

• Thread starter ProPatto16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Works
In summary, the speaker is having trouble getting a 7-segment display to work despite attaching the correct probes and trying different combinations with the 7447N conversion. They are also unsure about how to apply current limiting resistors and the theory behind it. They have attached a Multisim 11 file for reference and would appreciate any help. It is mentioned that the speaker is using a 4511 and that EL should be high but since it is inverted it should be low. They also mention using gates to convert binary inputs into BCD for the display.
ProPatto16
7-seg display never works for me:(

Im flippin out. I always have this same problem with 7-segment-displays having only touched on theory stuff I don't know why this 7-seg display won't work. I've attached up probes and it shows all the right outputs.

ive fiddled with common anode and cathode displays, I have used 7447N for the conversion.

ive tried all combinations of EL EN BI and all I can get is it shows all segments lit up.

most of the time I see current limiting resistors but I am not sure how to apply them. there in nearly every example but nowhere is the theory for it.

ive attached the multisim 11 file

any help would be great. thanks.

and if possible the theory behind any of it.

Attachments

• IMG_1533.jpg
    IMG_1533.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 493
Physics news on Phys.org
If you have some description of your IC, it would help if you could share it.

Those AND/OR combinations look strange to me.

It's bin-BCD Conv
It's the "units" digit of what will be 3 digits. That's why the 5th output is left untouched.

What is the description of the ~EL input? The 7447 outputs are active low. Are you using a 7-segment display with active low inputs? Finally, what is with all the gates? Why don't you feed the switch outputs directly into the D inputs? Or is there more you haven't told us?

Oh never mind. The screenshot I submitted is actually a 4511. And EL is enable latch. And it should be high.

And the gates convert the binary inputs into the switch to BCD for the display. So I know binary and BCD are equal for 0-9 but now when binary 10-11-12-14-15 is on the switch it just displays the "units" digit.

Actually it's right. EL should be high, but since its inverted it should be low. So it should still work.

All fixed (:

Related to 7-seg display never works for me

1. Why is my 7-segment display not lighting up at all?

There could be a few reasons for this. First, check to make sure all the connections are secure and the display is receiving power. If the connections are all correct, there may be an issue with the code or circuit design.

2. Why are some segments on my 7-segment display not lighting up?

This could be due to a faulty connection or damaged segment on the display. Check all connections and if they are secure, try replacing the display.

3. Why is my 7-segment display showing incorrect numbers or characters?

If the display is showing the wrong numbers or characters, there may be an issue with the code or circuit design. Check to make sure the code is correctly written and all connections are secure.

4. How can I troubleshoot my 7-segment display if it is not working?

First, check all connections and make sure the code is correctly written. If everything seems to be in order, try using a multimeter to check for any faulty connections or damaged components.

5. Can I use a 7-segment display without a microcontroller?

Yes, it is possible to use a 7-segment display without a microcontroller by using a BCD to 7-segment decoder. This will allow you to directly control the display without the need for a microcontroller.