7 segments display difficult problem

• Thread starter hitham
  • Start date
In summary: The difference is which way you make your output pin swing in logic voltage to turn on the LED segments. The rest of the circuit (eg, the K-maps and logic gates) can stay the same. In summary, the conversation discusses a question about designing a combinational logic circuit using AND, OR, and NOR gates for two outputs that will display the last two digits of a passport number on a 7-segment display. The individual is confused about how to implement the circuit using only the mentioned gates without a decoder, and how to design it to display the last two digits of a 4-digit input number. The conversation also touches on how to simulate and calculate the necessary components for the circuit, as well as the difference
hitham
hi there ...

I got a question about the 7 segments display .. I need help please because I am lost now ..

the question is asking to design a combinational logic circuit using AND , OR and NOR gates for two outputs that will display the last two digits of my passport number . (note if the last two digits are same choose the next higher digits ,,

this was the question ..

I made the truth table because it's very easy ,, but then what should I do .. the problem is in the question they asked us to use the AND , OR and NOR gates only so how am I going to use it without using any decoder ,, also how to design the circuit so I can enter 4 digits number and display the last two digits ?

seriously I am confused right now because I am in the 1st sem year 1 and I need any help in that ..

thanks guys

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hitham said:
hi there ...

I got a question about the 7 segments display .. I need help please because I am lost now ..

the question is asking to design a combinational logic circuit using AND , OR and NOR gates for two outputs that will display the last two digits of my passport number . (note if the last two digits are same choose the next higher digits ,,

this was the question ..

I made the truth table because it's very easy ,, but then what should I do .. the problem is in the question they asked us to use the AND , OR and NOR gates only so how am I going to use it without using any decoder ,, also how to design the circuit so I can enter 4 digits number and display the last two digits ?

seriously I am confused right now because I am in the 1st sem year 1 and I need any help in that ..

thanks guys

Welcome to the PF. Show us your truth table. Do you know how to draw a Karnaugh Maps from the truth table? That is the next step, and that will give you equations for your outputs that you can implement with the gates you mentioned.

thanks berkeman

I attached the truth table and karnugh map for the segment a .. but how to group it to find the equation ,,

Attachments

• truth table and Karnaugh Map for segment a ..........doc
    43 KB · Views: 297
hitham said:
thanks berkeman

I attached the truth table and karnugh map for the segment a .. but how to group it to find the equation ,,

I'm not sure which segment your K-map is for... which one is it? You need one for every segment that you are going to drive with your logic.

Also, are your 7-segment displays common anode (CA) or common cathode (CC). It makes a difference in how you drive each segment -- with either a logic high or a logic low.

After you draw your K-maps for each segment, you use grouping to come up with the simplest sum of products for each output term:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karnaugh_map

Then you use AND-OR logic (with NOR gates used for any inversions of terms that you need as inputs) to make each sum of products output term to drive the segments.

thanks a lot for ur information but I got two question ..

when u want to simulate the circuit in multism how to get the common cathode or either the common anode ,, I mean how to calucalte the resistor and power supply ,.,

as well what is the difference between common cathode and common anode when connect the circuit ?

thanks again

hitham said:
thanks a lot for ur information but I got two question ..

when u want to simulate the circuit in multism how to get the common cathode or either the common anode ,, I mean how to calucalte the resistor and power supply ,.,

as well what is the difference between common cathode and common anode when connect the circuit ?

thanks again

You model them as LEDs, which they are. You calculate the series current limiting resistors' value by assuming about a 2V drop across the LED, and dropping the rest of the voltage across the resistor (assuming your drive gate or transistor has negligible voltage drop).

This page: http://www.hobbyprojects.com/components/7_segment_displays.html
shows some info about a CA 7-segment display, and discusses the CC option.

Related to 7 segments display difficult problem

1. What is a 7 segments display?

A 7 segments display is a type of electronic display device that is commonly used to represent numerical or alphanumeric characters. It consists of seven individual segments (usually arranged in a figure-eight shape) that can be turned on and off to create different numbers and letters.

2. What are the difficulties associated with using a 7 segments display?

One of the main difficulties with using a 7 segments display is that it can only display limited characters, such as numbers and a few letters. This can be challenging when trying to display more complex information. Additionally, the limited number of segments can make it difficult to create certain characters with clarity and precision.

3. How do scientists overcome the limitations of a 7 segments display?

Scientists have developed various techniques to overcome the limitations of a 7 segments display, such as using multiple displays to create larger characters or using specialized circuits to display more complex characters. They also use different display technologies, such as LED, LCD, and OLED, to achieve better resolution and display capabilities.

4. Can 7 segments displays be used for more than just numbers and letters?

Yes, 7 segments displays can be used for more than just numbers and letters. With the advancement of technology, it is now possible to display graphics, symbols, and even full-color images on a 7 segments display. However, this requires specialized hardware and software to control the segments accurately.

5. Are 7 segments displays still commonly used in modern technology?

Yes, 7 segments displays are still commonly used in modern technology, especially in devices that require simple and cost-effective displays. They are often used in appliances, clocks, thermometers, and other electronic devices. However, with the development of more advanced display technologies, their usage is becoming less prevalent.