9 Billion-Year-Old Galaxy Discovered

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Galaxy
In summary: This is not a record-breaking redshift, as z=1.4 is only the highest redshift for a galaxy cluster that has been discovered so far.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://www.physicsweb.org/articles/news/9/3/2/1

title: "Galaxies break new records"

Last year Roser Pello's team at the Pyrennees Observatory thought they had found a 10 billion year old galaxy IIRC, but this was later challenged [CORRECTION: hellfire reminded me that Roser thought she had found one at z=10, it wasnt 10 billion LY but z=10 which is much more remarkable]

now according to a news item some people at European Southern say they'v found one 9 billion years old. I am not sure this makes sense or that I understand correctly. It looks to me that they are claiming redshift 1.4, which would not be record-breaking. Am I missing something?

"Christopher Mullis of the University of Michigan and co-workers at the European Southern Observatory (ESO) discovered the distant cluster by sifting through old images from the XMM-Newton satellite. They looked for large X-ray sources that had not been studied before and then took a series of follow-up images of 30 candidate galaxies at optical wavelengths with ESO's Very Large Telescope (VLT) in Chile. One of these galaxies - now named XMMU J2235.3-2557 - had a redshift of 1.4, which means that it is nine billion light years away and must have formed when the universe was less than a third of its present age. Moreover, the spherical shape of the cluster implies that it has a well-organised and mature structure (Astrophysical Journal to be published)."

Here is the technical article mentioned in the article
http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0503004

here is a webpage with more info and some pictures
http://www.astro.lsa.umich.edu/~cmullis/research/xmmuj2235/

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Roser Pello's galaxy (or protogalaxy) was postulated to be located at z = 10, which means it supposed to be more than 13 Gyr old. This 9 Gyr old galaxy (at 9 GLyr of light travel distance) is located at z = 1.4 within a galaxy cluster. As far as I know, it is believed that galaxy clusters began forming at z = 2. Thus, this is actually a far cluster, but I think it is not the farthest cluster discovered till now (the paper claims that it is the "the most distant X-ray-selected cluster found to date").

Last edited:
Hellfire, thanks for jogging my memory about that Roser Pello thing.
It was the z=10 that was so astonishing there.
this z= 1.4 is not all that much----9 billion LY. according to the usual assumptions

Here is another related article where the claim is z > 2
http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0502216

Spectroscopic Redshifts to z > 2 for Optically Obscured Sources Discovered with the Spitzer Space Telescope
J. R. Houck, B. T. Soifer, D. Weedman,...et al
Accepted for publication on 7 Feb 2005 in ApJL. 7 pages 2 figures

"We have surveyed a field covering 9.0 degrees^2 within the NOAO Deep Wide-Field Survey region in Bootes with the Multiband Imaging Photometer on the Spitzer Space Telescope (SST) to a limiting 24 um flux density of 0.3 mJy. Thirty one sources from this survey with F(24um) > 0.75 mJy which are optically very faint (R > 24.5 mag) have been observed with the low-resolution modules of the Infrared Spectrograph on SST. Redshifts derived primarily from strong silicate absorption features are reported here for 17 of these sources; 10 of these are optically invisible (R > 26 mag), with no counterpart in B_W, R, or I. The observed redshifts for 16 sources are 1.7 < z < 2.8. These represent a newly discovered population of highly obscured sources at high redshift with extreme infrared to optical ratios. Using IRS spectra of local galaxies as templates, we find that a majority of the sources have mid-infrared spectral shapes most similar to ultraluminous infrared galaxies powered primarily by AGN. Assuming the same templates also apply at longer wavelengths, bolometric luminosities exceed 10^13 L(solar)."

Last edited:
marcus said:
Assuming the same templates also apply at longer wavelengths, bolometric luminosities exceed 10^13 L(solar)."
Huh? Luminosity of over 10 Trillion suns?

but I think it is not the farthest cluster discovered till now
You're true, the article of marcus is wrong. The most distant galaxy cluster known was discovered a few days ago, and existed 1 billion years after Big Bang (see the news of 17 february of this article)
http://astronomy.com/default.aspx?c=a&id=2851
See also
http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/galaxy_clusters_early.html?1722005
Ok, introducing an age at redshift equal to 1 billion year in the Cosmology calculator
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/CosmoCalc.html
This implies for this cluster a redshift of z=5.8
That is, a comoving radial distance of 27.1 Gly

It would be nice to know when exactly formed the first galaxy cluster

Last edited:

Related to 9 Billion-Year-Old Galaxy Discovered

1. What is the significance of discovering a 9 billion-year-old galaxy?

Discovering a 9 billion-year-old galaxy is significant because it provides insight into the early stages of galaxy formation and evolution. It allows us to study the characteristics and behavior of galaxies in their infancy, which can help us better understand the development of the universe.

2. How was the 9 billion-year-old galaxy discovered?

The 9 billion-year-old galaxy was discovered using data from the Hubble Space Telescope and the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA). By analyzing the light emitted by the galaxy, scientists were able to determine its age and other characteristics.

3. What makes this galaxy different from others?

This galaxy is different from others because of its age. At 9 billion years old, it is one of the oldest galaxies ever discovered. It also has a unique shape and structure, which can provide valuable insights into the early stages of galaxy formation.

4. What can we learn from studying this 9 billion-year-old galaxy?

Studying this galaxy can provide valuable information about the early universe and the processes that led to the formation of galaxies. It can also help us understand how galaxies evolve over time and how they contribute to the structure of the universe.

5. Are there any other 9 billion-year-old galaxies in the universe?

It is likely that there are other 9 billion-year-old galaxies in the universe, but they may be difficult to detect due to their faint light and distant location. However, with advancements in technology and space observation, we may be able to discover more of these ancient galaxies in the future.