A 160g hockey puck swings around on a spring

• Thread starter simpleA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary, the hockey puck is swinging on a spring attached to a fixed pivot point. The spring has a constant of 25N/m and an equilibrium length of 1m. The puck stretches the spring a distance of 10cm. The question asks for the magnitude of the acceleration and velocity of the puck, but the presence of the spring does not affect the centripetal acceleration.
simpleA
A 160g hockey puck swings around on the end of a spring on a frictionless surface. One end of the spring is attached to the hockey puck, and the other is attached to a fixed pivot point. The spring has a constant of 25N/m and an equilibrium length of 1m and stretches a distance of 10com.

a.what is the magnitude of the acceleration of the hockey puck?

b. what is the magnitude of the velocity of the hockey puck?

I have no clue how to approach this question due to the spring. If the spring wasn't a part of it i would have an understanding. please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, this is a strange question. Let me clarify something from you, do you know explicitly that the hockey puck is moving in a circle (as I am about to assume)? If so, the fact that there's a spring makes no difference in terms of centripetal acceleration. You'll have a different tension than if the puck were on a rigid string.

FAQ: A 160g hockey puck swings around on a spring

1. What is the relationship between the mass of the hockey puck and its swinging motion on a spring?

The mass of the hockey puck does not have a direct impact on its swinging motion on a spring. However, a heavier puck may require more force to create the same swinging motion as a lighter puck.

2. How does the spring affect the swinging motion of the hockey puck?

The spring acts as a restoring force, pulling the puck back towards its equilibrium point as it swings. The stiffer the spring, the faster the puck will swing back and forth.

3. Can the length of the spring impact the swinging motion of the hockey puck?

Yes, the length of the spring can affect the swinging motion of the hockey puck. A longer spring will have a longer period of oscillation, meaning the puck will take longer to complete one full swing. A shorter spring will have a shorter period of oscillation and the puck will complete swings more quickly.

4. How does the initial force applied to the hockey puck impact its swinging motion?

The initial force applied to the hockey puck will determine the amplitude of its swinging motion. A stronger initial force will result in a larger amplitude, while a weaker initial force will result in a smaller amplitude.

5. What factors may affect the accuracy of the swinging motion of the hockey puck on a spring?

The accuracy of the swinging motion of the hockey puck may be affected by factors such as air resistance, friction, and the elasticity of the spring. These factors may cause the puck to lose energy and affect its swinging motion over time.

Back