A 300 kg rocket sits on a launch pad. What is the thrust nee

In summary, the rocket would need to have a thrust to weight ratio of 3 to 1 in order to achieve a desired thrust.
j doe

Homework Statement

A 300 kg rocket sits on a launch pad. What is the thrust needed to obtain a thrust to weight ratio 3:1?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

300.0 kg x 9.817 m/s2 = 2945.1 N

i know this is not the correct answer, but i have no idea where to start. can someone please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello JD,
what do you think they mean with a thrust to weight ratio ?

the amount of acceleration it needs in order to thrust an object with the mass of 300 kg?

I do not have much experience with this sort of equation but I believe that the equation for thrust to weight ratio is T/W where T is the force of the thrust and W is the weight of the given body measured in Newtons hope this helps

Kaura said:
I do not have much experience with this sort of equation but I believe that the equation for thrust to weight ratio is T/W where T is the force of the thrust and W is the weight of the given body measured in Newtons hope this helps

so based on your equation, would it be 3 / 2945.1 N? that would equal 0.00101864113. what would the units be?

j doe said:
so based on your equation, would it be 3 / 2945.1 N? that would equal 0.00101864113. what would the units be?

I think you would have to find the force of thrust so that T/W would be equivalent to 3/1

Kaura said:
I think you would have to find the force of thrust so that T/W would be equivalent to 3/1
how do i do that?

j doe said:
how do i do that?
Do you know what a ratio is?

Here's an example:

The ratio of centimeters to meters is 100 to 1.

You are asked to find the thrust such that a thrust to weight ratio of 3 to 1 is obtained. You have already determined the weight of the rocket.

SteamKing said:
Do you know what a ratio is?

Here's an example:

The ratio of centimeters to meters is 100 to 1.

You are asked to find the thrust such that a thrust to weight ratio of 3 to 1 is obtained. You have already determined the weight of the rocket.
do i multiply 2945.1 by 3? I'm not quite sure how to find the thrust.

j doe said:
do i multiply 2945.1 by 3? I'm not quite sure how to find the thrust.
weight = mass × acceleration due to gravity

You calculated the weight of the rocket in Post #1 (2945.1 N)

You want the thrust o this rocket to be 3 times its weight.

Therefore, the thrust = ?

SteamKing said:
weight = mass × acceleration due to gravity

You calculated the weight of the rocket in Post #1 (2945.1 N)

You want the thrust o this rocket to be 3 times its weight.

Therefore, the thrust = ?
thrust = 2945.1 N x 3 = 8835.3 N?

j doe said:

I believe that that is correct

If this is the case then excellent job

j doe said:
That looks OK.

Related to A 300 kg rocket sits on a launch pad. What is the thrust nee

1. What is the purpose of the rocket sitting on the launch pad?

The purpose of a rocket sitting on a launch pad is to prepare for launch into space. Rockets are used to carry satellites, spacecraft, and astronauts into orbit or on interplanetary journeys.

2. How much does the rocket on the launch pad weigh?

The rocket on the launch pad weighs 300 kg. This includes the weight of the rocket itself, as well as any fuel, equipment, and payload that may be attached to it.

3. What is thrust and why is it important for a rocket?

Thrust is the force produced by a rocket engine that propels the rocket forward. It is important for a rocket because without thrust, the rocket would not be able to lift off from the launch pad and reach its intended destination.

4. How does the thrust needed for a rocket on a launch pad differ from the thrust needed during liftoff?

The amount of thrust needed for a rocket on a launch pad is typically lower than the thrust needed during liftoff. This is because the rocket is not yet in motion and does not need as much force to overcome gravity and other forces acting against it.

5. What factors determine the thrust needed for a rocket on a launch pad?

The thrust needed for a rocket on a launch pad is determined by several factors, including the weight of the rocket, the weight of the payload, the force of gravity, and any external forces such as wind or atmospheric conditions. The type and power of the rocket engine also play a role in determining the necessary thrust.