A Bit of Help With Peak Current Flowing with Inductor Please

In summary: OK thank you!In summary, the peak current is the same as in the first case. The power dissipation is zero, because in that circuit the current and the voltage are 90 degrees out of phase.
mmmboh
Hi can somebody help me with part B of this question please? :)

2vn3mtx.jpg

I already did part a) and I found the peak current to be 31.1 mA, and the power rating required to be 4.84 W.

For part B I know the current for inductance is I=(1/L)[tex]\int[/tex]Vdt
and I know V=V0sin(wt), however with only this information I don't know what to do, am I suppose to assume the voltage from the previous question and use V0 as 110[tex]\sqrt{}2[/tex]? and am I suppose to assume a frequency of 60 hz (the frequency in the US as stated by my textbook), or is there another way to do it.

And once I find the current, I just use P=IV to find the power right?

Thanks for any help :D

Physics news on Phys.org
In the pure inductor, the peak current is the same as in the first case. But the power dissipation is zero, because in that circuit the current and the voltage are 90 degrees out of phase and power dissipation W = V*I*cos(theta)

But how is the peak current the same as in the first case if there is no resistor this time? and is this still assuming the voltage from the first case?
And would you mind explaining how the current and voltage are 90 degrees out of phase please? Is there an equation?

Sorry. I mean the peak voltage is the same. The peak current will be infinity, because the pure inductor has very small resistance.
You have written
I = 1/L*intg(Vo*sinwt) = (Vo/L*w)*(-coswt) = (Vo/L*w)*[sin(w-pi/2)t]

Thanks. But for the power, P=IV, if I is infinity, I don't understand how the power is zero.

Is it because when I equals infinity V=0 because they are out of phase? I am confused, how do you know they are out of phase by 90 degrees?

Power is dissipated in the resistance only. If the resistance is nearly zero, power dissipation is also zero.

OK thanks!

Can you explain why the voltage and current are 90 degrees out of phase please?

When you connect an inductor to a voltage source, current does not increases suddenly like in resistance, due to back emf. Time taken to reach the maximum current depends on the resistance present in the circuit.
When the inductor is connected to the ac source the current in the circuit is given by
I = 1/L*intg(Vo*sinwt) = (Vo/L*w)*(-coswt) = (Vo/L*w)*[sin(wt-pi/2)]
Or I = Io*[sin(wt-pi/2)] In the resistance I = Io*sin(wt)
Hence V and I are in phase in the resistance and 90 degree phase difference in inductor.

Related to A Bit of Help With Peak Current Flowing with Inductor Please

1. What is peak current flowing in an inductor?

Peak current flowing in an inductor refers to the maximum amount of current that flows through the inductor during a given period of time. It is typically measured in amperes (A) and can vary depending on the design and characteristics of the inductor.

2. Why is peak current important to consider when using an inductor?

Peak current is important because it helps determine the maximum load that an inductor can handle without reaching its saturation point. This is especially important in circuits where the current can fluctuate significantly, as exceeding the peak current rating can cause the inductor to overheat and potentially fail.

3. How is peak current calculated for an inductor?

Peak current can be calculated by dividing the peak voltage by the inductive reactance of the inductor. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by dividing the peak power by the peak voltage. It is important to note that the peak current may vary depending on the frequency and waveform of the current.

4. How does the value of inductance affect peak current?

The value of inductance directly affects peak current, as a higher inductance will result in a lower peak current and vice versa. This is because inductance is a measure of how much a current resists changes in its flow, so a higher inductance will require a higher voltage to produce the same amount of current.

5. What can cause peak current to exceed the rated value of an inductor?

Peak current can exceed the rated value of an inductor due to sudden changes in the circuit, such as a sudden increase in voltage or a rapid decrease in resistance. This can also occur if the inductor is not properly rated for the circuit or if it is subjected to excessive heat or mechanical stress.