A book is pushed against a vertical wall at an angle

In summary, to determine the force needed for Albert to push the 1.8 kg book down the wall at a constant speed, we must resolve his push into horizontal and vertical components and use the equations Fk + Fay = Fg and Fn = Fax to find the relationship between all the forces involved. We can then use this relationship to determine the necessary force for the book to slide down the wall. It should be noted that assuming Albert is pushing down at 30 degrees will result in an invalid solution.
purplepig

Homework Statement

Albert is pushing a 1.8 kg book against a vertical wall at an angle of 30.0 degrees. If the coefficient of static friction is 0.47 and kinetic friction is 0.35, how hard does Albert need to push the book to allow it to slide down the wall at a constant speed?

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma
uK = Fk/Fn (coefficient of kinetic friction)
uK = Fs/Fn (coefficient of static friction)

The Attempt at a Solution

If there was no angle involved, I know that I'd first calculate Fk (force of kinetic friction) as it is equal to Fg (force of gravity). Then using the formula for the coefficient of kinetic friction, I would rearrange to solve for Fn (normal force) since Fn = Fa (force applied) which would get me the answer.

However, I have no idea how to factor in the angle given in this question to solve the problem since I have not done any forces questions involving angles.

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Just resolve Albert's push into two forces, a horizontal and a vertical. Do you know how to do that? (Is he pushing down at 30 degrees or up at 30 degrees? Maybe it'll become clear as you solve the problem.)

Thank you for your response haruspex.

The question doesn't state if he's pushing up or down at 30 degrees, so I will assume he is pushing up. By a horizontal and vertical forces, do you mean that the force applied (Fa) and the normal force (Fn) are the horizontal forces and the force of gravity (Fg) and Fk (kinetic friction) are the vertical forces? Because that's how I drew my free body diagram and I have the horizontal forces equalling each other and the vertical forces equalling each other.

purplepig said:
By a horizontal and vertical forces, do you mean that the force applied (Fa) and the normal force (Fn) are the horizontal forces and the force of gravity (Fg) and Fk (kinetic friction) are the vertical forces?
No, I meant that if Albert is pushing with force Fa at an angle θ above horizontal then you can resolve that into a horizontal force and a vertical force. I.e. it is equivalent to the sum of a horizontal and a vertical force. Do you not know how to write those in terms of Fa and θ?

haruspex said:
No, I meant that if Albert is pushing with force Fa at an angle θ above horizontal then you can resolve that into a horizontal force and a vertical force. I.e. it is equivalent to the sum of a horizontal and a vertical force. Do you not know how to write those in terms of Fa and θ?

Are you saying to break up Fa into x and y components so that Fax = (Fa)(sin 30°) and Fay = (Fa)(cos 30°)?

If not, then I'm afraid I don't know how to write it in terms of Fa and θ.

purplepig said:
Are you saying to break up Fa into x and y components so that Fax = (Fa)(sin 30°) and Fay = (Fa)(cos 30°)?
Yes. Having done that, what are your two equations relating all the forces?

haruspex said:
Yes. Having done that, what are your two equations relating all the forces?

Vertical: Fk + Fay = Fg

Horizontal: Fn = Fax

Are these the correct equations?

purplepig said:
Vertical: Fk + Fay = Fg

Horizontal: Fn = Fax

Are these the correct equations?

Yes. You know what Fax and Fay are in terms of Fa, and you know the relationship between Fk and Fn. Put all that together.
Note that if you assume Albert is pushing down at 30 degrees you get an invalid solution.

Related to A book is pushed against a vertical wall at an angle

1. What is the force exerted on the wall by the book?

The force exerted on the wall by the book is equal to the weight of the book multiplied by the sine of the angle at which it is pushed against the wall. This is known as the normal force and acts perpendicular to the surface of the wall.

2. How does the angle at which the book is pushed affect the force on the wall?

The angle at which the book is pushed affects the force on the wall by changing the direction and magnitude of the normal force. When the book is pushed at a steeper angle, the normal force will be greater as it must support more of the book's weight.

3. What happens to the book when it is pushed against the wall at an angle?

When the book is pushed against the wall at an angle, two forces act upon it: the normal force from the wall and the force of gravity pulling the book downwards. These forces will cause the book to remain stationary or move along the wall depending on the magnitude and direction of the forces.

4. Is the force on the wall greater when the book is pushed at a steeper angle?

Yes, the force on the wall will be greater when the book is pushed at a steeper angle. This is because the normal force, which is equal and opposite to the force pushing the book against the wall, will be greater to support more of the book's weight.

5. Why is the angle at which the book is pushed important?

The angle at which the book is pushed is important because it determines the magnitude and direction of the normal force on the wall. This can affect the stability of the book and whether it will remain stationary or slide along the wall. Additionally, the angle can also affect the amount of force required to push the book against the wall.