A/C circuits Pre-Lab questions

• Thread starter Amcote
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary: You've shown that the frequency is 1/2πCR and that the peak voltage of either the resistor or capacitor is Vin/√2 at this frequency. If you had two resistors in the circuit, the frequency would still be the same, but the peak voltage across the resistors would be Vin/2√2.
Amcote

Homework Statement

For the RC circuit shown in Fig. 1, at some frequency the peak voltage across the capacitor and resistor are equal. Find the frequency at which this occurs. Show that the peak voltage across the capacitor or the resistor at this frequency is given by Vin/ √ 2. How would this compare if we had two resistors R instead of a resistor and a capacitor?

fig 1. is an RC circuit with 1 capacitor (0.1μF), 1 resistor (1kΩ) and a voltage source.

Homework Equations

1. Zc = −i/ ωC
2. |Zc| = |Vc|/ |I| = 1/ ωC ,
3. R = V/I
4. ω=2πf

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
To be honest it's been a very long time since I've done any physics and I'm having a little difficulty re-learning all the circuit stuff.

To get the frequency the only thing I can think of is setting Vc equal to V to get

IR=I/wC=I/2πfC

Then,

f=1/2πCR

so,

f=1/2π(0.1μF)(1kΩ)=1591.55Hz

As for the next part, I'm really not sure what it is asking. Perhaps if I knew exactly what Vin/ √ 2 is then I'd be able to make some progress.

But using the formulas, the peak voltage across the capacitor is

|Vc|/ |I| = 1/ ωC (I think)

And I don't know a formula for the peak voltage across the resistor, the only formula I have for the resistor is

R = V/IAnd actually another thing I am confused about is the difference between resistance and impedance because it seems they use these terms interchangeably. Thanks guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a series or parallel circuit?
If V is the voltage across the resistor, then putting Vc=V is just what the description says.
Your reasoning looks long winded: if ##V_c=V## then ##Z_c=##?

The next part is asking you to rewrite your equation for the frequency in terms of the input voltage. Clearly the frequency cannot be the (scaled) input voltage since they don't have the same units.

Impedence is resistance that depends on frequency... so, at a constant frequency, they are the same thing.

This is a series circuit.

So what I have so far is that we are trying to find the frequency when |VR|=|VC|

|VR|=IR
|VC=I(1/wC)

IR=I(1/wC), w=2πf

Rearrange to get
f=1/(2πCR), or w=1/(CR)

Now to show that the peak voltage for the cap and the resistor at this frequency can be written as Vin/√2

I can take the ratio |VC|/|Vin|= (1/wC)/(R2+(1/wC)2)1/2

and so
|VC|/|Vin|=1/ (1+(wCR)2)1/2

plug in w=1/(CR) (from before)

and I get

|VC|/|Vin|=1/ (1+(CR/CR)2)1/2=|VC|/|Vin|=1/ (1+(1)2)1/2=1/√2

thus |VC|=|Vin|/√2

Well done.

Related to A/C circuits Pre-Lab questions

1. What is an A/C circuit?

An A/C (alternating current) circuit is an electrical circuit that uses alternating current to power devices. Alternating current is a type of electrical current that changes direction periodically, unlike direct current (D/C) which flows in only one direction.

2. What are the components of an A/C circuit?

An A/C circuit consists of a power source (such as a generator or power plant), conductors (wires) to carry the current, and loads (devices) that use the electrical energy.

3. How does an A/C circuit work?

In an A/C circuit, the power source produces an alternating current that flows through the conductors and into the loads. The loads use the electrical energy to perform their intended functions, and then the current returns to the power source to complete the circuit.

4. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single loop, so the current has only one path to flow through. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches, allowing the current to flow through multiple paths. This results in different characteristics for voltage, current, and resistance in each type of circuit.

5. What is the purpose of a pre-lab for A/C circuits?

A pre-lab for A/C circuits allows scientists to familiarize themselves with the concepts and procedures involved in working with A/C circuits before conducting experiments. This helps ensure a safe and efficient experiment and allows for better understanding and analysis of the results.