A Career in Designing Processors

In summary, the speaker is interested in starting a career in designing microprocessors and has a background in mathematics and digital logic. They are seeking advice on how to get into this field and are interested in the process behind processor technology and the formation of companies like Intel and AMD. The suggested steps include getting an MS in EE with a focus on microprocessor design and trying to secure an internship at a company working in this area. The speaker also notes that most microprocessor engineers work for smaller companies designing microcontrollers or modifying and integrating cores into SOCs. They also disagree with the statement that designing a microprocessor in an FPGA is easy.
QuantumKnight
Good evening,

I am curious as to where I would start if I wanted to start a career designing microprocessors? Although my major is mathematics I have taken Digital Logic courses and many other EE courses. I am very interested in the process behind processor technology. While it's relativitly easy to design a microprocessor using a breadboard and a FPGA chip, I have no clue how processor companies are formed or how the engineers in companies like Intel or AMD get to where they are designing and manufacturing processors. Can anyone point me in a decent direction?

Good day.

Physics news on Phys.org
Get an MS in EE focusing on Microprocessor design. Try really hard to get an internship at a company doing microprocessor work. Keep in mind the vast majority of microprocessor engineers do not work for Intel or AMD but work for smaller companies designing microcontrollers (MCUs) or ASIC companies modifying and integrating ARM (or similar) cores into SOCs.

For what it's worth, I disagree strongly that it's "easy" to design a microprocessor in an FPGA. If you did a Z-80 clone, good job, but it's like saying you can design an adaptive equalizer because you put a shunt capacitor after a series resistor once.

Related to A Career in Designing Processors

What is the role of a processor designer?

A processor designer is responsible for designing and developing computer processors, which are the central processing units (CPUs) that power electronic devices. They work on creating efficient and effective designs that can perform complex calculations and instructions, and integrate with other components of a computer system.

What skills are required to become a processor designer?

To become a processor designer, one needs to have a strong background in computer engineering or electrical engineering. They should have a thorough understanding of computer architecture, digital logic design, and computer programming. Good analytical and problem-solving skills are also essential in this field.

What are the main challenges faced by processor designers?

One of the main challenges faced by processor designers is to keep up with the rapidly advancing technology and evolving demands of the industry. They also need to balance performance, power consumption, and cost while designing processors. Another challenge is to ensure compatibility and integration with other components in a system.

How does a processor designer stay updated with the latest developments in the field?

A processor designer can stay updated by attending conferences and workshops, reading research papers and journals, and networking with other professionals in the industry. They can also participate in online forums and communities dedicated to processor design and technology.

What are the future prospects for a career in designing processors?

The demand for faster and more efficient processors is continuously increasing, making the field of processor design a promising career choice. With the development of new technologies such as artificial intelligence and the Internet of Things, the need for processors will only continue to grow, providing ample job opportunities for processor designers.