A circuit problem involving voltage/current.

• Thread starter thoradicus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the student is trying to solve for the current through a 1500 ohm resistor when the voltage is set to 6. They need to find the voltage and current when the current is 0.75 amps and 1.3 amps. They also need to know the total potential drop across the resistor.
thoradicus

Homework Statement

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge%20International%20A%20and%20AS%20Level/Physics%20%289702%29/9702_w04_qp_2.pdf
number 6b

Homework Equations

V=IR
E=IR+Ir maybe

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not sure why the line which is supposed to be drawn passes through the top right corner.

Also, I am not sure how to go about the second part.. how to find the resistance at C? I don't know the PD across it. What am i missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
The line you have to draw is a line with resistance 1500ohms.
When the voltage is 6 (horizontal axis) the current will be 4mA (he vertical axis)
Hope this gets you to the next step.

thoradicus said:

Homework Statement

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge%20International%20A%20and%20AS%20Level/Physics%20%289702%29/9702_w04_qp_2.pdf
number 6b

Homework Equations

V=IR
E=IR+Ir maybe

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not sure why the line which is supposed to be drawn passes through the top right corner.
Pick a few values of voltage and plot the points for the resulting current through the 1500Ω resistor. Is the I/V plot for this component going to be curved or straight?
Also, I am not sure how to go about the second part.. how to find the resistance at C? I don't know the PD across it. What am i missing?
You know the total PD across both. What does that tell you about the sum of the individual PD's? In what approximate location on the graph must the circuit be operating? (hint: vary the current and estimate the PD's on both components).

Thanks. I missed the resistor R part :/ :/

So with the 2 graphs we estimate the current when V=2.
0.75A and 1.3 something, and add them together

thoradicus said:
Thanks. I missed the resistor R part :/ :/

So with the 2 graphs we estimate the current when V=2.
0.75A and 1.3 something, and add them together
Yes, that'll do it for part (b)(ii).

For some reason I was looking at part (c) when I wrote what I did about summing the potential drops. I'm glad you managed to work out the similar process for part (b)(ii) :smile:

FAQ: A circuit problem involving voltage/current.

1. What is voltage and current?

Voltage is the measure of the potential difference between two points in a circuit, while current is the flow of electric charge through a circuit. Voltage is measured in volts (V) and current is measured in amps (A).

2. How are voltage and current related?

Voltage and current are directly proportional, meaning that an increase in voltage will result in an increase in current, and vice versa. This relationship is governed by Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) equals current (I) multiplied by resistance (R) in a circuit.

3. What causes a circuit problem involving voltage/current?

There are a variety of factors that can cause a circuit problem involving voltage and current. Some common causes include loose connections, faulty components, overloaded circuits, and incorrect wiring. It is important to troubleshoot and identify the specific cause in order to properly fix the problem.

4. How can I measure voltage and current in a circuit?

Voltage can be measured using a voltmeter, which is connected in parallel to the circuit. Current can be measured using an ammeter, which is connected in series to the circuit. It is important to note that these measurements should only be taken by trained professionals, as working with electricity can be dangerous.

5. How can I fix a circuit problem involving voltage/current?

The specific solution for fixing a circuit problem involving voltage and current will depend on the cause of the problem. In general, it is important to safely disconnect power to the circuit before attempting any repairs. Some potential solutions may include replacing faulty components, tightening loose connections, or redistributing the load on the circuit to prevent overloading.