A Community College student seeks advice.

In summary: Perhaps you could read through the chapters on Newton's Laws, kinematics, and work/energy. If you do that, you'll be well prepared for introductory physics. In summary, the conversation was between a community college physics major who is about to transfer to a four-year college and is seeking advice on what to expect from a more rigorous undergraduate program and how to prepare for it. They also have specific questions about research opportunities, coursework, and the impact of transferring from a community college on future graduate program applications. Recommendations include checking for prerequisite courses, studying ahead, and comparing syllabi between schools. Book recommendations are also given.
JaqAl
Hello, people of science.

I am a community college physics major finishing up my first year with the intention of transferring to a four-year college and, much further down the road, pursuing an advanced degree. I will be taking the last of the physics courses my school offers over the summer (meaning a full year with zero physics courses :cry: ) and am looking for some advice on both what to expect out of a more rigorous undergraduate program upon transferring as well as what I can do now to prepare myself for it. I would like to start as soon as possible on whatever would give me a leg up when I reach my four-year institution.

Specific questions:

1. Do REUs apply to Community college students (If not, are there any comparable programs or other opportunities for research experience available)?

2. As an incoming junior, can I expect myself to be behind on the coursework performed as compared to non-transfer students?

3. Will transferring from a community college effect my future applications to graduate programs?

4. Since I am going to be physics deprived for an entire year, literature recommendations?

5. Is there any other advice that you would give me that would assist me now in preparing for both undergraduate and higher level education?

Relevant information: Attending Moraine Valley Community College; Intending to transfer to either UIC or UIUC.Thanks in advance guys,

JaqAl

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. Do REUs apply to Community college students (If not, are there any comparable programs or other opportunities for research experience available)?
If you have taken the required courses to be of any use, I don't see why not. You might check with the REU you are interested in applying to in order to clarify.

2. As an incoming junior, can I expect myself to be behind on the coursework performed as compared to non-transfer students?

Depends. Personally I was behind because I had to take Intermediate Algebra and such (though not by much). Check the undergrad catalog of your transfer school to see what they recommend transfer students have completed on entering. I found it helpful to plan my 4 year schedule while I was attending a community college to make sure I would never have any semesters where I was limited on what courses I could take due to prerequisites.

3. Will transferring from a community college effect my future applications to graduate programs?

Not sure about this one, but I know plenty of people who have went on to good graduate schools coming from a community college. You basically learn introductory stuff at a community college anyway, I would think that the advanced courses at the University would hold more weight in those regards, but I suppose when comparing two exactly equal candidates, perhaps that could be a deciding factor?

4. Since I am going to be physics deprived for an entire year, literature recommendations?

Start studying ahead of yourself. Anticipate the courses that you are planning on taking in the next term and at least give yourself a survey of all the material so you are never surprised at the load ect. I am sure others can recommend much more.

5. Is there any other advice that you would give me that would assist me now in preparing for both undergraduate and higher level education?

Do yourself a huge favor and compare the syllabi from your community college to that of the university you hope to attend and make sure you are proficient in all the topics covered. There were one or two classes from my community college that failed to cover a few things leaving me scrambling at the last minute. Also, many professors at the local community colleges graduated from the university nearby. In my case, it was beneficial to be very friendly with my cc professors as one of them was able to help get me into a minor research role at the university!

That's what I have learned, I am sure others can contribute.

I transferred from a community college, and still have 2 semesters to go. I've been at this university for 3 semesters now. REUs are difficult to get into regardless of whether or not you're a transfer student. One problem you might run into in applications is recommendation letters. As a transfer student, your professors won't know you as well, and that might be reflected in their recommendations.

I didn't find myself behind in much coursework, though there were a few things that I missed out on. For example, at my university, they teach some Mathematica in the calculus classes. At my community college, they didn't. So, I was a bit behind on my Mathematica skills when I transferred.

I don't know how being a community college transfer will impact how grad schools look at you, but if you do very well in your junior and senior years, it shouldn't matter.

What classes will you be taking instead of physics courses? I think if you take some kind of math and other science courses, you won't fall behind too much. Especially if you'll be taking the calculus sequence and differential equations, maybe linear algebra.

The only advice I have is to stay focused, and maybe keep a little chip on your shoulder about being a transfer student. Maybe I'm just overly-competitive, but sometimes I use the fact that I went to community college to push myself a little further and a little harder than I otherwise would be, just to prove any detractors wrong.

Good luck!

1. You can try applying to REUs. I got into a REU at CERN while I was a community college student.

2. I'm starting as a Junior next semester. I'll let you know.

3. I doubt it. One of my physics professors told me that two of his students (from community college) got into MIT for grad school.

4. You can try getting a job as a math/physics tutor. That's what I did.

Last edited:
A good book to go through would be Mary Boas' Mathematical Methods.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471044091/?tag=pfamazon01-20

You may not have covered all the topics yet, but you will eventually. It's a very good and commonly used text - I think every physics major should have a copy :smile:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lisab, what level of math should one have completed before topics in that book become relevant?

QuarkCharmer said:
Lisab, what level of math should one have completed before topics in that book become relevant?

Calculus

edit: Single-variable, even. The book covers multivariable and vector calculus.

QuarkCharmer said:

Let's see...a year of calculus, at least. DE would help too.

It was used as a text for a two-quarter class called Elementary Mathematical Methods, which at the University of Washington is a sophomore level class. We didn't go through the whole book, but it sure was nice having it for reference for the upper division classes.

Related to A Community College student seeks advice.

1. What are the benefits of attending a community college?

Community colleges offer a variety of benefits, such as lower tuition costs, smaller class sizes, and flexible schedules. They also provide opportunities for students to transfer to four-year universities, obtain career training, and develop valuable skills for the workforce.

2. How can I make the most out of my community college experience?

To make the most out of your community college experience, it's important to get involved in extracurricular activities, build relationships with professors and peers, and take advantage of resources such as career services and tutoring. It's also beneficial to have a clear academic and career goal in mind and stay focused on achieving it.

3. Is it possible to transfer from a community college to a four-year university?

Yes, it is possible to transfer from a community college to a four-year university. Many community colleges have transfer agreements with universities, making the transfer process smoother. It's important to plan early and meet with an academic advisor to ensure that the classes you take will transfer to your desired university.

4. How do I choose the right community college for me?

When choosing a community college, consider factors such as location, cost, academic programs, and student support services. It's also helpful to visit the campus, speak with current students and alumni, and research the success rates of graduates.

5. What are some common challenges faced by community college students?

Some common challenges faced by community college students include balancing work, school, and personal responsibilities, financial struggles, and feeling disconnected from the college experience. It's important to seek support from professors, advisors, and peers to overcome these challenges and achieve academic success.