A conditional probability question on picking out chips from a bowl.

In summary, the probability of drawing the blue chip in both situations is independent of position, with each position having an equal chance of drawing the blue chip. This is because the sample space for each position is the same, regardless of the number of blue and red chips in the bowl. Therefore, the position does not affect the likelihood of drawing the blue chip.
Hodgey8806

Homework Statement

You are a member of a class of 18 students. A bowl contains 18 chips: 1 blue and 17 red. Each student is to take 1 chip from the bowl without replacement. The student who draws the blue chip is guaranteed an A for the course.

a)If you have the choice of drawing first, fifth, or last, which position would you choose? Justify you choice on the basis of probability.

b) Suppose the bowl contains 2 blue and 16 red chips. Which position would you now choose?

Homework Equations

I use a combinatorics formula that I will show on solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

I said that the 1st person has a simple chance of winning: 1/18

The 5th person, however, has to wait for 4 others to select the wrong chip so:
[(1C0)(17C4)/(18C4)] * (1/14). This gives me the probability of 1/18 though.

And the last person has to wait for 17 people to pick the wrong chip:
[(1C0)(17C17)/(18C17)]*(1/1). This give me the probability of 1/18 as well.

So I said I would like to be the 5th person for another reason. Last person has an unlikely chance that the people before him would not pick the blue chip (1/18). The 1st person has a (1/18) shot in the dark. While there is a 7/9 chance that the other people will pick the wrong chip. Leaving him a 1/14 chance of picking the blue chip.

I will pick up on part b later if the first part is correct. Does what I did make sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
So I said I would like to be the 5th person for another reason. Last person has an unlikely chance that the people before him would not pick the blue chip (1/18). The 1st person has a (1/18) shot in the dark. While there is a 7/9 chance that the other people will pick the wrong chip. Leaving him a 1/14 chance of picking the blue chip.

So you have to balance the fact that you have a lesser chance of being able to pick with the higher chance of picking the right chip when it's your turn. To decide whether that's a good thing or not, you calculate the probability of winning. And you found that all the positions had the same probability. So which spot is the best? They're all exactly the same!

Hodgey8806 said:

Homework Statement

You are a member of a class of 18 students. A bowl contains 18 chips: 1 blue and 17 red. Each student is to take 1 chip from the bowl without replacement. The student who draws the blue chip is guaranteed an A for the course.

a)If you have the choice of drawing first, fifth, or last, which position would you choose? Justify you choice on the basis of probability.

b) Suppose the bowl contains 2 blue and 16 red chips. Which position would you now choose?

Homework Equations

I use a combinatorics formula that I will show on solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

I said that the 1st person has a simple chance of winning: 1/18

The 5th person, however, has to wait for 4 others to select the wrong chip so:
[(1C0)(17C4)/(18C4)] * (1/14). This gives me the probability of 1/18 though.

And the last person has to wait for 17 people to pick the wrong chip:
[(1C0)(17C17)/(18C17)]*(1/1). This give me the probability of 1/18 as well.

I will pick up on part b later if the first part is correct. Does what I did make sense?

For both parts (a) and (b), I get that P{blue} is independent of your position. Hint: forget combinatorial formulas: look instead at the sample space, and what the event {blue in position i} looks like. Note: this assumes that when you pick a chip you have absolutely no information about colors already chosen by others, if any. Everything changes if you do have some information before picking.

RGV

I can see that if information is unknown, then position doesn't matter. But doesn't that change a bit for b?

I can see that for person 1, the probability is 2/18 = 1/9

But for the 5th person, I still used a combinatorial formula: [(2c0)(16c4)/(18c4)]*2/14 + [(2c1)(16C3)/(18c4)]*(1/14)] = 13/153 + 4/153 = 1/9

And then the last person has the probability [(2c1)(16c16)/(18c17)]*1 = 1/9 .

So again, I'm seeing that the probability is independent of position and each one still has an equal chance. Is this correct?

Related to A conditional probability question on picking out chips from a bowl.

What is a conditional probability question on picking out chips from a bowl?

A conditional probability question on picking out chips from a bowl is a type of probability problem where the likelihood of an event occurring is dependent on a previous event that has already occurred. In this case, it involves picking out chips from a bowl, where the probability of selecting a certain chip is affected by the chips that have already been selected.

How do you calculate conditional probability in this scenario?

To calculate conditional probability in this scenario, you would use the formula P(A|B) = P(A and B) / P(B), where A is the event you are interested in and B is the event that has already occurred. This formula takes into account the fact that the probability of event A occurring is dependent on the previous event B.

What is an example of a conditional probability question on picking out chips from a bowl?

An example of a conditional probability question on picking out chips from a bowl could be: A bowl contains 10 red chips and 15 blue chips. If you select a chip at random and it is red, what is the probability that the next chip you select will also be red?

How does the number of chips in the bowl affect the conditional probability?

The number of chips in the bowl can affect the conditional probability in two ways. First, it can change the total number of possible outcomes, which would impact the denominator in the conditional probability formula. Second, it can change the number of chips of a certain color, which would impact the numerator in the formula. Both of these factors can alter the overall probability of selecting a certain chip from the bowl.

Are there any practical applications for understanding conditional probability in this scenario?

Yes, understanding conditional probability in this scenario can have practical applications in fields such as statistics, genetics, and finance. For example, in genetics, conditional probability is used to determine the likelihood of inheriting certain traits from parents. In finance, conditional probability is used to assess risk and make decisions based on the probability of certain events occurring.