A confusion from David tong's notes on QFT

In summary, The author of the notes is using Wick's theorem to apply contractions in the |0> state. The expression : \psi_1^\dagger \psi_1 \psi_2^\dagger \psi_2 : is already normal ordered, so all annihilation operators act on the state to the right before any creation operators do. Since the incoming state on the right contains two particles and no anti-particles, the only contribution comes from the particle annihilation operators, allowing the author to factorize and insert |0><0| in the middle.
kof9595995
Physics news on Phys.org
He didn't just insert |0><0|. He's applying Wick's theorem, and his contractions correlations in the |0> state.

It's already normal ordered, so I don't think he applied Wick's theorem. And I still don't see why we can insert |0><0|.

I just took a quick look and I'm not sure about his conventions, but from the conventions I'm used to here is my reasoning:

The expression [tex] : \psi_1^\dagger \psi_1 \psi_2^\dagger \psi_2 : [/tex] is normal ordered. So in any terms in the creation/annihilation-operator expansion of this, all annihilation operators act on the state to the right before any creation operators do.

Since the incoming state on the right contains two particles and no anti-particles, the only contribution from this comes from terms where there are two particle annihilation operators (no anti-particle annihilation operators). This comes only from the [tex] \psi [/tex], not the [tex] \psi^\dagger[/tex].

The only possible result from the particle annihilation operators acting on the right is the vacuum state. Therefore he can factorize as he does, and put in |0><0| in the middle.

FAQ: A confusion from David tong's notes on QFT

1. What is QFT?

QFT stands for quantum field theory. It is a theoretical framework that combines quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of particles and their interactions.

2. Who is David Tong?

David Tong is a theoretical physicist and professor at the University of Cambridge. He is known for his research in string theory and quantum field theory.

3. What is the confusion from David Tong's notes on QFT?

The confusion from David Tong's notes on QFT refers to a specific section in his lecture notes where he discusses a concept that may be difficult for some students to understand or may lead to misconceptions.

4. How can I overcome the confusion from David Tong's notes on QFT?

The best way to overcome confusion from David Tong's notes on QFT is to seek clarification from your professor or a more experienced physicist. You can also try studying the concept from other sources or discussing it with your peers.

5. Is QFT an important topic in physics?

Yes, QFT is a fundamental theory in modern physics and has been successful in explaining a wide range of phenomena, from the behavior of elementary particles to the properties of materials. It is an important topic for both theoretical and experimental physicists.