A confusion related to Significant figures

In summary, the book states that 0.00052 has two significant figures, 5 and 2. However, when measuring a length with a scale that has a least count of 0.00005, the uncertainty of the last digit may lead to a question of whether the number of significant figures should be 5. However, significant digits are mostly non-zero digits and the best way to determine the number of sig figs is to convert the number to scientific notation without rounding off.
babita
A book says," 0.00052 has two significant figures: 5 and 2"

Now imagine a scale to measure length and suppose it's least count is 0.00005
we measure a length and it comes out to be 0.00052 where we are uncertain about the last digit. So if i am understanding the meaning of sig. figures right, shouldn't the no of significant figure be 5 ??

Physics news on Phys.org
babita said:

we measure a length and it comes out to be 0.00052 where we are uncertain about the last digit. So if i am understanding the meaning of sig. figures right, shouldn't the no of significant figure be 5 ??
No.

You're not at all certain of the 2. You're pretty certain of the 5.

Leading zeros don't count as sig. fig.s .

i know the rules..but i am trying to understand how they make sense
and I've nt got your point :(

Supposing you multiply 1734.6 by 0.0001. The answer, which is based on the least number of sig figs in the given values, is 0.2. It is not 0.1735. Why? Well, 0.0001 could actually be say 0.00014, in which case the answer is 0.24284. That's hardly 0.1735. So .0001 has just 1 sig fig, which is why the rule makes sense.

babita said:

significant digits are mostly non-zero digits.

best way to tell how many sig. figs. a number has is to convert it to scientific notation. (DO NOT ROUND OFF)..

56800 -> 5.68 x 10 ^ 4 5 6 8 three sig figs.

0.00052 ->5.2 x 10 ^ -4 5 2 two sig figs.

1000.001 -> 1.000001 x 10 ^ 3 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 seven sig figs.

Related to A confusion related to Significant figures

1. What are significant figures and why are they important in scientific measurements?

Significant figures, also known as significant digits, are the meaningful numbers in a measurement. They indicate the precision or accuracy of a measurement and help to convey the amount of uncertainty associated with the measurement. In scientific calculations, it is important to use the correct number of significant figures to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the results.

2. How do I determine the number of significant figures in a measurement?

The rules for determining significant figures are as follows:

• All non-zero numbers are significant.
  • Interior zeros (zeros between non-zero numbers) are significant.
  • Leading zeros (zeros to the left of the first non-zero digit) are not significant.
  • Trailing zeros (zeros to the right of the last non-zero digit) are only significant if there is a decimal point present in the number.

3. Can I round off a number to a certain number of significant figures?

Yes, when rounding off a number, you should keep the same number of significant figures as the original number, unless specified otherwise. If the number you are rounding off to has fewer significant figures, you should use zeros to fill in the missing digits.

4. How do I perform calculations with significant figures?

In addition to the rules for determining significant figures, there are also rules for performing calculations with significant figures:

• When adding or subtracting, the result should have the same number of decimal places as the number with the fewest decimal places.
  • When multiplying or dividing, the result should have the same number of significant figures as the number with the fewest significant figures.

5. What should I do with significant figures when using scientific notation?

When using scientific notation, the number of significant figures is determined by the number of digits in the coefficient. For example, in the number 2.34 x 10^3, there are three significant figures because there are three digits in the coefficient. Zeros in the exponent do not affect the number of significant figures.