A contradiction? - Calculus III Question

Thanks for your help!In summary, when finding the tangent plane to a surface at a particular point, the choice of F(x,y,z) does not matter as both versions (ln(x+z) - yz and yz - ln(x+z)) will give the same result for the gradient. However, for the normal line of the surface, there may be a difference in the direction of the line but both forms will define the same line. It is important to note that there are infinite ways to write a correct equation for both the line and the plane, so it is not necessary to only accept one specific answer.
eurekameh
yz = ln(x+z)
So I'm trying to find the tangent plane to the surface at a particular point (x0,y0,z0).
Here's the general formula:
Fx(x0,y0,z0)(x-x0) + Fy(x0,y0,z0)(y-y0) + Fz(x0,y0,z0)(z-z0) = 0,
where Fx, Fy, and Fz are the partial derivatives of the below F(x,y,z):

1. F(x,y,z) = ln(x+z) - yz
2. F(x,y,z) = yz - ln(x+z)

When I take the partial derivatives Fx,Fy,Fz for both of these functions, they turn out to be different:

For (1.), I get:
Fx = 1/(x+z)
Fy = -z
Fz = 1/(x+z) - y

For (2.), I get:
Fx = -1/(x+z)
Fy = z
Fz = y - 1/(x+z)
, which all have the opposite signs of (1.)

So my question is: how do I know which F(x,y,z) to use when trying to find the tangent plane through a particular point?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first version of F(x,y,z) is the negative of your second version, so of course that gives you a different result.

Added in Edit:

Of course I should have said, ... a different result for the gradient. The result for the overall problem should be the same for both versions of F(x,y,z).

Last edited:
eurekameh said:
yz = ln(x+z)
So I'm trying to find the tangent plane to the surface at a particular point (x0,y0,z0).
Here's the general formula:
Fx(x0,y0,z0)(x-x0) + Fy(x0,y0,z0)(y-y0) + Fz(x0,y0,z0)(z-z0) = 0,
where Fx, Fy, and Fz are the partial derivatives of the below F(x,y,z):

1. F(x,y,z) = ln(x+z) - yz
2. F(x,y,z) = yz - ln(x+z)

When I take the partial derivatives Fx,Fy,Fz for both of these functions, they turn out to be different:

For (1.), I get:
Fx = 1/(x+z)
Fy = -z
Fz = 1/(x+z) - y

For (2.), I get:
Fx = -1/(x+z)
Fy = z
Fz = y - 1/(x+z)
, which all have the opposite signs of (1.)

So my question is: how do I know which F(x,y,z) to use when trying to find the tangent plane through a particular point?

It doesn't matter: an equation of the form [itex] \sum_{i} a_i x_i = 0[/itex] is the same as [itex] \sum_{i} (-a_i) x_i = 0.[/itex]

RGV

Yeah, that's true, which is my point.
Differentiating
F(x,y,z) = ln(x+z) - yz and F(x,y,z) = yz - ln(x+z) should give me the same result for the tangent plane and normal line of the surface at a particular point, but it doesn't. It gives me the negative of what it should be (by should be, I mean the correct answer to the homework problem).

The normal line has parametric equations:
x = x0 + Fxt
y = y0 + Fyt
z = z0 + Fzt, where <Fx,Fy,Fz> is the gradient.
So if both functions give me a negative result of the gradient, the parametric equations are also negative of each other for both situations, and there can be only one answer.

It may look like a different line, but any point on one of the lines is also on the other. So, both forms define the same line.

But don't they point in opposite directions?

Then the lines only differ by a constant -t. If you remember the equation of a line.

Vectors point.

A line goes to infinity in both directions.

Last edited:
eurekameh said:
But don't they point in opposite directions?

Vectors point in directions, but lines do not. Anyway, you are getting a *plane* and that does not point in any direction at all (at least as normally understood by the word "point"). Locally, the floor you are standing on is the plane perpendicular to a vertical line, and is the same plane whether you regard it as perpendicular to an upward-pointing vector or a downward-pointing one.

RGV

It makes sense, but when the normal line to a plane is mentioned, I automatically think of a vector that points in a specific direction and not a line that goes on forever.
So in summary, both answers should be correct? My online homework only accepts one of the answers as correct, for both the plane and the line.

eurekameh said:
It makes sense, but when the normal line to a plane is mentioned, I automatically think of a vector that points in a specific direction and not a line that goes on forever.
So in summary, both answers should be correct? My online homework only accepts one of the answers as correct, for both the plane and the line.
It's ridiculous for the online homework to take only one specific answer for either of these. There are an infinite number of ways to write a correct equation for each of the line & the plane.

K, thanks. I guess it was just programmed to take that one answer.

Related to A contradiction? - Calculus III Question

1. What is a contradiction in the context of Calculus III?

A contradiction in Calculus III refers to a mathematical statement or theorem that is logically inconsistent or cannot be true based on the given assumptions or conditions. In other words, it is a statement that contradicts itself or leads to a logical impossibility.

2. How is a contradiction identified in Calculus III?

In Calculus III, a contradiction can be identified by carefully examining the provided assumptions or conditions and determining if they lead to a logical impossibility. This can be done by applying mathematical laws and principles to the statement or theorem in question.

3. What are the consequences of a contradiction in Calculus III?

A contradiction in Calculus III can have significant consequences, as it can render a statement or theorem invalid and potentially undermine the entire mathematical proof or argument. It can also lead to incorrect conclusions or solutions if not identified and addressed.

4. Can a contradiction be avoided in Calculus III?

While it is possible to avoid contradictions in Calculus III by carefully formulating assumptions and conditions, it is not always possible to completely eliminate them. In some cases, a contradiction may arise due to incorrect reasoning or an error in the mathematical proof.

5. How can a contradiction be resolved in Calculus III?

If a contradiction is identified in Calculus III, it must be addressed and resolved in order to maintain the validity of the mathematical statement or theorem. This can be done by carefully reexamining the assumptions and conditions and adjusting them if necessary. Additionally, seeking guidance from a mathematics expert or consulting other sources can also help in resolving a contradiction.