A cyclist exerts 80N of energy pedalling. How much Work is done?

In summary: The distance traveled per stroke is 36 cm, so the required force is 80 N. Because the downward force is half of the total force exerted, the work done is 40 N per stroke.
Daaniyaal

Homework Statement

Cyclist pedals downward stroke with 80N of energy. The diameter of the circle traced by his pedals is 36 cm, how much work is done each stroke?

Homework Equations

W=F•d

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that the force exerted downwards means half of the circle traced, which would mean that it would be 80 N per 18 centimetres. It was not so. does centripetal stuff have anything to do with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The downward thing is just describing the stroke so I believe the problem is telling you that with one stroke, the rider produces 80 N of force forward, so if the diameter is 36 cm, the linear distance in one stroke would be 1 circumference.

Daaniyaal said:
I figured that the force exerted downwards means half of the circle traced, which would mean that it would be 80 N per 18 centimetres.
If you have ridden a conventional bicycle, you'll have noticed how while standing on the pedals you can force your foot DOWNWARDS for almost the whole depth of the circle traced by the pedals. You stand vertically, so your leg is exerting the main component force vertically downwards. (You do need to exert a small force tangentially to encourage the pedals to continue turning at the top & bottom of the path, but that tangential force is slight and does insignificant work in relation to that of the main downwards thrust.)

Work done = force • distance through which that force acts

(I've retained that dot you used, as it is very appropriate.)

I thank thee profusely, and I am honoured that my dot is appropriate. I bashed random buttons on my keyboard till it came out.

Daaniyaal said:

Homework Statement

Cyclist pedals downward stroke with 80N of energy. The diameter of the circle traced by his pedals is 36 cm, how much work is done each stroke?

Homework Equations

W=F•d

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that the force exerted downwards means half of the circle traced, which would mean that it would be 80 N per 18 centimetres. It was not so. does centripetal stuff have anything to do with this?

You can use the equation for work: W=F * D where D is the distance.

Substitute for D: D = circumference = pi * d, where d is the 0.36 meter diameter. Now the rest of the calculations should be self explanatory.

As I indicated in bold, I do not believe circumference is the applicable distance in this problem.

Related to A cyclist exerts 80N of energy pedalling. How much Work is done?

1. What is work in the context of cycling?

Work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. In this case, the cyclist is applying a force of 80N while pedalling, and the distance the pedals move is the distance the cyclist travels.

2. How is work calculated in this scenario?

The work done by the cyclist can be calculated by multiplying the force applied (80N) by the distance the pedals move. For example, if the pedals move 10 meters while exerting 80N of force, the work done would be 800 joules (80N x 10m = 800J).

3. Is the work done by the cyclist equal to the energy exerted?

Yes, in this context, the work done by the cyclist is equal to the energy exerted. This is because the cyclist is applying a force to move an object (the bike) over a distance, which requires energy.

4. Can the work done by the cyclist vary?

Yes, the work done by the cyclist can vary depending on factors such as the terrain, speed, and duration of the ride. For example, going uphill or pedalling faster would require the cyclist to exert more energy and therefore, do more work.

5. How is work related to power in cycling?

Work and power are closely related in cycling. Power is the rate at which work is done, meaning how quickly the cyclist is exerting energy to move the bike. In this scenario, the power output of the cyclist would be 80 watts (80J of work per second) if the distance travelled is 10 meters in 1 second.