A definite trigonometric absolute integral

In summary, the question asks to evaluate the integral ##\int_0^{nπ+v} |sinx| dx## and provides several options. The solution involves breaking the integral into two parts, one from 0 to v and the other from v to nπ+v, and using the property that the integral of a T-periodic function over an interval of length T is the same. This simplifies the integral to ##2n + \int_0^v sinx dx##, which can be easily evaluated.
Raghav Gupta

Homework Statement

Find ## \int_0^{nπ+v} |sinx| dx ##
Options are,
2n+ 1+ cosv
2n+1-cosv
2n+1
2n+cosv

Homework Equations

Integration of sinx is -cosx.

The Attempt at a Solution

Sin x is + ve from 0 to π,
Negative from π to 2π
We can make |sinx| as sinx in 0 to π,
And - sinx in π to 2π
But here n is confusing.
We will rotate in a cycle?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the integral up to pi, up to 2pi, 3pi, ... n pi?
What is the integral from n pi to n pi + v?

Upto pi it is 2, upto 2 pi it is 4.
So for upto n pi it is 2n.
But for integral from n pi to n pi +v , we should know whether n is even or odd, isn't it?

If n is fraction , then what?

Raghav Gupta said:
If n is fraction , then what?
It's pretty clear that ##n## is intended to be a natural number. ##v## takes care of any extra fractional part beyond ##n\pi## .

Should we know that n is even or odd?

Raghav Gupta said:
Look at a graph, or try some cases.

Raghav Gupta said:

Does it matter in the answer? And I don't see where you stated it anywhere but I guess we are assuming ##0\le v <\pi##, right?

Wouldn't the sign change in modulus function for even pi?

Raghav Gupta said:
Wouldn't the sign change in modulus function for even pi?
I don't know. Would it? Have your tried both?

The sign of the sine changes, but the sign of |sin(x)| does not.

mfb said:
The sign of the sine changes, but the sign of |sin(x)| does not.
...as both SammyS and I have been trying to get the OP to discover for himself.

Likes SammyS
I'm getting diff. Answers considering even and odd.
For n to be even,
-[ cosx ] from n pi to v,
It's
-(cosv - 1)= 1-cosv
For odd,
[cosx] from n pi to v,
cosv +1.

Last edited:
What does ##[\cos x]## mean? Are you saying that you think the antiderivative of ##|\sin x|## is ##\cos x##?

LCKurtz said:
What does ##[\cos x]## mean? Are you saying that you think the antiderivative of ##|\sin x|## is ##\cos x##?
No ant iderivative of sin x is -cosx and of -sinx is cosx.

mfb said:
None of the two is right.
I see that there was a time lapse of 1 min between my editing of 13th post and your reply.
Can you reconsider it?
Regards.

Raghav Gupta said:
I
For odd,
[cosx] from n pi to v,
cosv +1.
The upper limit is not ##v##, it is ##n\pi + v##.

The problem is exactly the same for odd and even n, because in both cases v is between 0 and pi and the sine goes from 0 to 1 and back to 0 again. I don't see why you make two categories.

See this,
## \int_0^{nπ+v} |sinx| dx ##

= ## \int_0^π sinx dx - \int_π^{2π} sinx dx + \int_{2π}^{3π} sinx dx + ... \int_{nπ}^{v} sinx dx ##
= ##2n + \int_{nπ}^{v} sinx dx ##
= ## 2n - (cosx) ## here cos x has limits nπ to v, ( I don't know the latex for that).
= ## 2n - (cosv - cosnπ) ##
Now surely,here if n is even, odd it matters, cos value being -1 for odd π and +1 for even π ?

Got it... its not np to v. Its np to np+v.
$$2n+\int_{n\pi}^{n\pi+v}|sinx|dx$$
Now apply property ##\int_{nT}^{nT+a}f(x)dx=\int_0^af(x)dx##
Since ##|sinx|## has a period of π.
Now your integral becomes very easy:
$$I=2n+\int_0^vsinxdx$$

Likes Raghav Gupta
Thanks very much Aditya. I don't know that time period property. Can you give a link or reference for the proof of it?

Its intuitive. Draw a graph of sinx and shade the area from p to p+2 and shade the area between 0 to 2. You have to prove it using graph.

Okay got the intuitive idea. I had to see Khan Academy video to clear this graph thing. Thanks.

Also thanks to other guys for giving me a approach to solve problem.

Raghav Gupta said:
Thanks very much Aditya. I don't know that time period property. Can you give a link or reference for the proof of it?

Suppose that ##f## is a ##T## periodic function. Then for any real number ##\alpha##, we can write:

$$\int_{\alpha}^{\alpha + T} f(x) \space dx = \int_0^T f(x) \space dx$$

To prove this, write:

$$\int_{\alpha}^{\alpha + T} f(x) \space dx = \int_{\alpha}^0 f(x) \space dx + \int_{0}^{\alpha + T} f(x) \space dx$$

Now suppose ##u = x + T \Rightarrow x = u - T \Rightarrow dx = du## for the first integral on the right, then:

$$ \int_{\alpha}^0 f(x) \space dx + \int_{0}^{\alpha + T} f(x) \space dx = \int_{\alpha + T}^{T} f(u - T) \space du + \int_{0}^{\alpha + T} f(x) \space dx$$

Now due to the ##T## periodicity of ##f##, we may write:

$$ \int_{\alpha + T}^{T} f(u - T) \space du + \int_{0}^{\alpha + T} f(x) \space dx = \int_{\alpha + T}^{T} f(u) \space du + \int_{0}^{\alpha + T} f(x) \space dx$$

Simply replace the dummy variable ##u## by ##x## now to obtain:

$$\int_{\alpha + T}^{T} f(u) \space du + \int_{0}^{\alpha + T} f(x) \space dx = \int_{\alpha + T}^{T} f(x) \space dx + \int_{0}^{\alpha + T} f(x) \space dx$$

The integrals represent the area from ##[0, T]## because we integrate from ##0## to ##\alpha + T## and then from ##\alpha + T## to ##T##. Therefore:

$$\int_{\alpha + T}^{T} f(x) \space dx + \int_{0}^{\alpha + T} f(x) \space dx = \int_0^T f(x) \space dx$$

So really, the integral of a ##T## periodic function over any interval of length ##T## is the same.

Likes Raghav Gupta
Split your integral as follows:
##\displaystyle\ \int_0^{nπ+v} |sinx| dx = \int_0^{v} |sinx| dx + \int_v^{nπ+v} |sinx| dx##
and apply what Zondrina recently posted.

Thank you guys, once again.

FAQ: A definite trigonometric absolute integral

1. What is a definite trigonometric absolute integral?

A definite trigonometric absolute integral is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve of a trigonometric function between two specific points on the x-axis. It is represented by the symbol ∫|f(x)| dx and is used to calculate the total magnitude of a function over a given interval.

2. How is a definite trigonometric absolute integral calculated?

A definite trigonometric absolute integral is calculated using the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the integral of a function is equal to the difference between the values of the function at the upper and lower bounds of the integration. This involves evaluating the integral using integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities.

3. What are the applications of a definite trigonometric absolute integral?

A definite trigonometric absolute integral has many applications in physics, engineering, and other sciences. It can be used to calculate displacement, velocity, and acceleration of an object, as well as various quantities related to sound, light, and electricity. It is also used in signal processing, probability, and statistics.

4. Can a definite trigonometric absolute integral have negative values?

No, a definite trigonometric absolute integral cannot have negative values. The absolute value function |f(x)| ensures that the result of the integral is always positive, as it measures the total magnitude of the function over the given interval. This is different from a definite integral, which can have both positive and negative values.

5. What are some common trigonometric functions used in definite trigonometric absolute integrals?

Some common trigonometric functions used in definite trigonometric absolute integrals include sine, cosine, tangent, and their inverse functions. Other trigonometric functions such as secant, cosecant, and cotangent can also be used, depending on the specific problem at hand.