A dielectric + an infinite line of charge = use method of images

In summary, a dielectric (homogeneous, isotropic, with relative permativity \epsilon_{r}) is located in the region x<0. An infinite line of charge \lambda, parallel to surface of dielectric slab and parallel to z axis, is located at (x,y,z) = (d,0,0). x>0 is a vacuum. We are told that the field in the region x>0 can be found by way of the method of images, by introducing an image charge \lambda^{'}, at (-d,0,0); and the field in the region x<0 can be found by replacing \lambda with \lambda^{
redglasses
Hi everyone, first time poster, long time reader (only because you're all so clever and I feel my contribution wouldn't be all that helpful haha).

Homework Statement

A dielectric (homogeneous, isotropic, with relative permativity [tex]\epsilon_{r}[/tex]) is located in the region x<0.

An infinite line of charge [tex]\lambda[/tex], parallel to surface of dielectric slab and parallel to z axis, is located at (x,y,z) = (d,0,0). x>0 is a vacuum.

We are told that the field in the region x>0 can be found by way of the method of images, by introducing an image charge [tex]\lambda^{'}[/tex], at (-d,0,0); and the field in the region x<0 can be found by replacing [tex]\lambda[/tex] with [tex]\lambda^{''}[/tex].

Homework Equations

E = -[tex]\nabla[/tex]V
Surface charge: [tex]\sigma[/tex] = [tex]\epsilon_{0}[/tex]*E [tex]\cdot[/tex] [tex]\widehat{n}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem is confusing me. Up until now it was my understanding that I could only really use the method of images when at the boundary the potential is equal to zero. That being said I did see an example in class where the potential was constant, but I found this rather confusing.

What I tried to do for the first part of the question, more as a thought process than by way of calculation (as for some reason I keep getting stuck finding the potential as I'm far more used to working more in 2 dimensions with image charges instead of lines of charge for this kind of problem) is to try to set up a similar problem where at the boundary it is an infinite grounded conducting plane (ie V = 0), try to find the surface charge that would be induced by [tex]\lambda[/tex] and integrating to find [tex]\lambda^{'}[/tex] and showing they're equivalent.

But by my luck that's probably the completely wrong approach! I have a feeling I've misunderstood a crucial concept.

I understand this is a poor attempt at a solution - I have almost resigned myself to the fact that I won't nut out this question without seeing my lecturer, but any small pushes in the right direction would be gladly accepted and greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, the method of image charges gets a little more advanced when you are dealing with a dielectric rather than a conductor. Most image questions involve an infinitely thin conducting sheet, because a for a "perfect conductor" this is sufficient. They could use an infinitely thick conductor though if they wanted.

With a dielectric, it needs to have some thickness, since it has resistance. Fortunately an infinitely thick dielectric is the simplest case (except of course for an infinitely thin one, in which case it could just be neglected!).

Given your line charge at (d,0,0), you will want to model your dielectric differently depending on which side of the boundary you're on. For x>0, outside the dielectric, you need to add an image line charge to mimic the dielectric at (-a,0,0), not necessarily the same distance from the boundary as would be the case for a conductor.

But as you said, you don't have zero potential at the boundary now. Even though the question doesn't ask it, you need to find the potential inside the dielectric is well. You do this by adding an image line charge at (b,0,0) - i.e. there are two separate "cases" needed to solve the problem. (both image charges are assumed to be of unknown [tex] \lambda [/tex]

Write up two equations for the potential then - one for x>0 and one for x<0.

Here's where the trick comes in - rather than knowing that V must be 0 at the boundary, we say that it must be continuous at the boundary. Using this condition, you can set the two potential equations equal at x=0.

You need another boundary condition though to solve for all the variables. That is that the electric field must also be continuous at the boundary. This means that your other boundary condition is

[tex] \epsilon_r \left(\frac{\partial V_{x<0}}{\partial x}\right)_{x=0} = \left(\frac{\partial V_{x>0}}{\partial x}\right)_{x=0} [/tex]

That's the key. Then it's just a matter of mathematics solving the resulting systems of equations for the two image line charges positions and magnitudes.

NOTE that one result of solving these equations will be that a=b=d, meaning that one of the image charges (b,0,0) is actually right on top of your original line charge, and thus amounts to changing the magnitude of the original line charge as the question states.

In a nutshell, this problem just makes clear how the method of images really works - applying the first boundary condition is really obvious with an infinite conducting sheet, and appyling the second is unneccesary in many cases.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Thank you gomboc for your long and helpful reply!
That really improved my understanding of the overall problem. It's only the little (and probably simpler :P) steps of the problem that I'm having some trouble with at the moment, but I'll give it another good bash now.

Related to A dielectric + an infinite line of charge = use method of images

1. What is the method of images?

The method of images is a mathematical technique used to solve electrostatic problems involving a dielectric and an infinite line of charge. It allows us to simplify the problem by introducing a fictitious or "image" charge that satisfies the boundary conditions of the problem.

2. Why is the method of images useful?

The method of images is useful because it allows us to solve complex electrostatic problems involving dielectrics and infinite line charges using simple geometry and algebra. It also helps us visualize the electric field lines and potential in such systems.

3. How do we use the method of images in this particular problem?

In this problem, we first determine the electric field and potential due to the infinite line of charge in the absence of the dielectric. Then, we introduce a fictitious or "image" charge on the other side of the dielectric that produces an electric field and potential that cancel out the effects of the real line charge on the dielectric boundary. The total electric field and potential is then the sum of the contributions from the real and image charges.

4. Can the method of images be applied to other geometries?

Yes, the method of images can be applied to other geometries such as a point charge near a conducting plane or a point charge between two conducting plates. However, the specific details of the method may vary depending on the geometry of the problem.

5. Are there any limitations to using the method of images?

While the method of images is a powerful tool for solving electrostatic problems, it does have some limitations. It can only be applied to problems with idealized conditions and does not take into account the effects of real-world factors such as imperfections in the dielectric or deviations from the ideal geometry. Additionally, the method may not work for more complex systems with multiple charges or non-uniform dielectrics.