A difficult integral with exp and erf squared

• Thread starter petru
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the author was trying to solve the integral described in the first post using differentiation under the integration sign, but he was not able to get the answer. He asks for help from others and suggests that b>0. The last integral in the first post is also solved using the differentiation under the integration sign.
petru
Hello,

I have big difficulties solving the following integral:
[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}x\exp\left(-b^{2}\left(x-c\right)^{2}\right)\mathrm{erf}^{2}\left(a\left(x-d\right)\right)\,\mathrm{d}x
[/tex]

I tried integration by parts, and also tried to apply the technique called “differentiation under the integration sign” but with no results.

I’m not very good at calculus so my question is if anyone could give me any hint of how to approach this integral. I would be ultimately thankful.

If it could help at all, I know that
[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}x\exp\left(-b^{2}\left(x-c\right)^{2}\right)\mathrm{erf}\left(a\left(x-d\right)\right)\,\mathrm{d}x=\frac{a}{b^{2}\sqrt{a^{2}+b^{2}}}\exp\left(-\frac{a^{2}b^{2}\left(c-d\right)^{2}}{a^{2}+b^{2}}\right)+\frac{\sqrt{\pi}c}{b}\mathrm{erf}\left(\frac{ab\left(c-d\right)}{\sqrt{a^{2}+b^{2}}}\right),
[/tex]

and
[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\exp\left(-b^{2}\left(x-c\right)^{2}\right)\mathrm{erf}\left(a\left(x-d\right)\right)\,\mathrm{d}x={\frac{\sqrt\pi}{b}}\ \mathrm{erf}\left(\frac{ab\left(c-d\right)}{\sqrt{a^{2}+b^{2}}}\right),
[/tex]

both for b>0.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If Mathematica and Gradshteyn-Rytzhik can't help you with the answer, it means it can't be done. You'd gave to let a,b,c,d have some specific numerical values and then use approximation techniques.

dextercioby Thanks for your reply! I spent a lot of time trying to find closed form of that integral, so even if it can’t be done, I would like to learn smoething out of it and thus I have another question.

The last integral in my first post:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\exp\left(-b^{2}\left(x-c\right)^{2}\right)\mathrm{erf}\left(a\left(x-d\right)\right)\,\mathrm{d}x={\frac{\sqrt\pi}{b}}\ \mathrm{erf}\left(\frac{ab\left(c-d\right)}{\sqrt{a^{2}+b^{2}}}\right),[/tex]
for b>0,

was calculated using “differentation under the integration sign” method.

The author of the original post explains how he obtained the solution:
“got it by differentiating the integrand w.r.t. a, then integrated over x=-inf..inf, then substituted a=sqrt(b*z)/sqrt(1-z) and integrated over z and then - most important - checked the result numerically.”

So I tried to follow that procedure and I get:
[tex]I\left(a\right)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\exp\left(-b^{2}\left(x-c\right)^{2}\right)\mathrm{erf}\left(a\left(x-d\right)\right)\,\mathrm{d}x[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}I\left(a\right)}{\mathrm{d}a}=\ \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}a}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\exp\left(-b^{2}\left(x-c\right)^{2}\right)\mathrm{erf}\left(a\left(x-d\right)\right)\,\mathrm{d}x[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}I\left(a\right)}{\mathrm{d}a}=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\partial}{\partial a}\exp\left(-b^{2}\left(x-c\right)^{2}\right)\mathrm{erf}\left(a\left(x-d\right)\right)\,\mathrm{d}x[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}I\left(a\right)}{\mathrm{d}a}=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{2\exp\left(-b^{2}(-c+x)^{2}-a^{2}(-d+x)^{2}\right)(-d+x)}{\sqrt{\pi}}\,\mathrm{d}x[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}I\left(a\right)}{\mathrm{d}a}=\ \frac{2b^{2}(c-d)}{\left(a^{2}+b^{2}\right)^{3/2}}\exp\left(-\frac{a^{2}b^{2}(c-d)^{2}}{a^{2}+b^{2}}\right)[/tex]

Now I substitute [tex]z=\frac{a^2}{a^2+b^2}[/tex] and after some manipulations I get the right side of the last equation:
[tex]
2\sqrt{b}(c-d)(1-z)^{3/2}\ \exp\left(-zb^{2}(c-d)^{2}\right)
[/tex]

I would appreciate any suggestions of how I should proceed.

Last edited:

FAQ: A difficult integral with exp and erf squared

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve. It is used to find the total amount or value of something, such as the distance traveled by a moving object or the amount of change in a system over time.

2. What is exp?

Exp is a mathematical function that stands for the exponential function, which is the inverse of the natural logarithm. It is commonly used in growth and decay problems, and is represented by the symbol e.

3. What is erf squared?

Erf squared is the squared form of the error function (erf), which is a special function used in statistics and probability theory to calculate the probability of a random variable falling within a certain range of values. It is commonly used in solving integrals involving normal distributions.

4. Why is this integral difficult?

This integral is difficult because it involves both the exp and erf squared functions, which are complex and not easily solvable by hand. It requires advanced mathematical techniques and knowledge to solve, and often requires the use of specialized software or calculators.

5. What are some applications of this type of integral?

This type of integral is commonly used in the fields of physics, engineering, and statistics, to solve problems involving growth, decay, and probability. It is also used in economics, finance, and other areas where the behavior of systems over time needs to be analyzed and understood.