A double alpha disintegration?

• Thread starter Frank Einstein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alpha
In summary, the conversation discussed the phenomenon of a double alpha disintegration observed in footage from a cloud chamber. The particles followed a V-shaped trajectory and the only radioactive element present was radon. After consulting the disintegration chain, it was determined that the most likely explanation was a disintegration from radon to polonium and an immediate disintegration from polonium to lead. However, it was also mentioned that random chance or other types of decays could also potentially explain the phenomenon. The conversation concluded by mentioning the possibility of double proton emission and double beta decay as well.
Frank Einstein
Hi everybody; I was watching footage from a cloud chamber and I stumbled upon a double alpha disintegration; both particles came from the same spot and their trajectory was shaped as a V; the only radioactive element which was in the air was the natural radon; after consulting the disintegration chain, I think that the only phenomenon which can explain that is a disintegration tfrom radon to polonium and an immediate disintegration of that polonium to lead.

Is there other way to explain this phenomenon?

Thanks for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
214Po has a half-life of only 160 microseconds and various other isotopes have similarly short half-lifes, so two decays within a millisecond are not uncommon.
Frank Einstein said:
Is there other way to explain this phenomenon?
Random chance - two independent decays at roughly the same place and time.

Likes Frank Einstein
Well I gess that's true, but I was wondering if it is possible for a single Rn atom to expell two alpha particles and not to have two steps of the disintegration chain separated little time.

The intermediate nucleus can be so short-living that the question "did it really exist?" becomes tricky. I don't think that happens for alpha decays, however.

There is double proton emission and of course double beta decay, the latter clearly without a proper intermediate nucleus.

Likes Frank Einstein
I see.
Thank you very much for anwsering me.

FAQ: A double alpha disintegration?

1. What is a double alpha disintegration?

A double alpha disintegration is a type of radioactive decay in which an atomic nucleus emits two alpha particles, resulting in a decrease in atomic number and mass number.

2. How does a double alpha disintegration occur?

A double alpha disintegration occurs when the nucleus of an atom is unstable and has excess energy. This excess energy is released in the form of two alpha particles, which are helium nuclei consisting of two protons and two neutrons.

3. What elements undergo double alpha disintegration?

Elements with a high atomic number, such as uranium and plutonium, are more likely to undergo double alpha disintegration due to their larger number of protons, which results in a less stable nucleus.

4. What are the effects of double alpha disintegration?

The main effect of double alpha disintegration is the release of energy in the form of radiation. This radiation can be harmful to living organisms and has the potential to cause mutations in DNA.

5. How is double alpha disintegration used in science?

Double alpha disintegration is used in nuclear physics research to study the properties of nuclei and in nuclear medicine for diagnostic imaging and cancer treatment. It is also utilized in nuclear power plants to generate electricity.