A doubt related to infinitesimals in continuous fourier transform.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of probability density function and its relation to Fourier transform. The difference between Fourier series and Fourier integral is also mentioned. The interpretation of a Fourier transform plot is explained, with the help of Parseval's relation. The square of the Fourier transform is considered to be an energy density, and this is usually what is plotted. The conversation also touches on the use of infinitesimals and low pass signals.
dexterdev
Hi all,
Only few days back I got the idea of probability density function. (Till that day , I believed that pdf plot shows the probability. Now I know why it is density function.)
Now I have a doubt on CTFT (continuous time Fourier transform).

This is a concept I got from my friend.The Fourier series lists particular frequencies, while the Fourier transform is the frequency density function.

I got the former idea but not the later. How do I interpret a Fourier transform plot. Suppose at frequency F if the magnitude spectrum gives X(F) ,do that mean there is a sinusoid with frequency component F with amplitude proportional to X(F)? Is Fourier transform also a frequency density function, if so how we interpret it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fourier series is used for periodic functions. Fourier integral is for integrable (in some sense) functions over infinite line. (The description is somewhat simplified, but this should give you an understanding of the distinction).

Thanks for the reply. In the case of a Fourier series plot, the sticks imply sinusoids with corresponding amplitude. But to represent a sinusoid in Fourier transform plot we require a shifted delta function (defined with area equalling amplitude of the particular sinusoid). So how do I interpret a complicated waveform's Fourier transform plot with no delta functions it. This is where infinitesimals come to play. How to read those plots. If it is a low pass signal bandlimited to W Hz , is it right to say that this signal contains many sinusoids from 0 Hz to W Hz with respective amplitudes?

I think that Parseval's relation helps here:
[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} |x(t)|^2 dt = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} |X(f)|^2 df
[/tex]
The left hand side is the total energy in the signal, so you can think of the square of the Fourier transform as an energy density, and indeed the square is usually what is plotted. In particular, [itex] |X(f)|^2 df[/itex] is the amount of energy between [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]f+df[/itex].

jason

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

Related to A doubt related to infinitesimals in continuous fourier transform.

What are infinitesimals in the context of continuous Fourier transform?

Infinitesimals are infinitely small quantities that are used in the mathematical concept of limits. In the context of continuous Fourier transform, infinitesimals are used to represent the infinitesimal changes in the input function that result in the corresponding changes in the output function.

How are infinitesimals used in continuous Fourier transform?

In continuous Fourier transform, infinitesimals are used to represent the incremental changes in the input function and their corresponding changes in the output function. This allows for the transformation of a continuous function into its frequency domain representation.

What is the significance of infinitesimals in continuous Fourier transform?

Infinitesimals play a critical role in continuous Fourier transform as they allow for the representation of continuous functions in terms of their frequency components. This enables the analysis and manipulation of complex signals and systems in the frequency domain.

Are infinitesimals necessary for continuous Fourier transform?

No, infinitesimals are not necessary for continuous Fourier transform. There are other mathematical methods, such as Laplace transform, that can also be used to obtain the frequency domain representation of a continuous function. However, infinitesimals are commonly used in the traditional approach to continuous Fourier transform.

What are some common misconceptions about infinitesimals in continuous Fourier transform?

One common misconception is that infinitesimals are actual numbers with a value of zero. In reality, infinitesimals are considered to be infinitely small quantities that approach zero but are not actually equal to zero. Another misconception is that infinitesimals are only used in continuous Fourier transform, when in fact they are used in many other areas of mathematics and science.