A.: Exploring Coherent States & Perfect Solutions

In summary, the show discussed a concept called Coherent States which according to the show has something to do with data which contains no outliers and no anomalies, hence pointing to a perfect solution. The show mentioned that such a perfect set up is so improbable as to go against Coherent States. However, I am just looking to see if the show's interpretation was correct and a simple explanation of what Coherent States are if they were not.
impendingChaos
I just watched the latest episode of NUMB3RS which brought up a very interesting concept called Coherent States. From what I got from the show this concept has something to do with data which contains no outliers and no anomalies, therefore pointing to a perfect solution. In the show it was stated that such a perfect set up is so improbable as to go against Coherent States.

I am just looking to see if the shows interpretation was correct and a simple explanation of what Coherent States are if they were not.

C.N.

Physics news on Phys.org
I somehow think they totally missed the point. In quantum mechanics, coherent states (for the quantum harmonic oscillator, at least), provide position-momentum minimum uncertainty states. If you look at it in terms of second quantized electromagnetic fields, then they correspond to classical electromagnetic fields.

These states all correspond to "minimum uncertainty states" which kind of corresponds to what was on NUMB3RS.

There could be several defn's of the term coherent state outside of QM. Wouldn't surprise me.

In QM, coherent states actually describe a Poisson Distribution, which allows for considerable variation, say, from the mean -- that is a coherent state can be quite variable.

I suspect that, who knows why, what they are talking about is a situation with perfect correlations, hence no unforseen variations. Never have heard of a coherent state in statistics. But...
Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

reilly said:
Never have heard of a coherent state in statistics

Please, explain what you mean. For example, M@W and in particular Ch.12

Dany.

I base my comment on coherent States and statistics on 40 years of doing statistics. if there is such a thing as a coherent state in statistics then it is quite new -- perhaps connected with recent efforts with Robust
Statistics..

Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

What is M@W?

M@W is abbreviation of L.Mandel and E.Wolf “Optical coherence and quantum optics”, Cambridge University Press, 1995. I am not sure, but I remember that you introduced that abbreviation few months ago.

Size of photon particle”:

reilly said:
:” The bible on photon physics is Optical Coherence and Quantum Optics by Mandel and Wolf. It discusses, in great detail what I mentioned above. It assumes a sophisticated grasp of QM and statistics -- but it starts from ground zero, and does the basics -- state vectors, coherent fields, correlations,...-- albeit quickly. it is a great book, and it is worth the fight to read it.

reilly said:
I base my comment on coherent States and statistics on 40 years of doing statistics.

I use to ask questions if I have impression that I may study something new or the person will improve my understanding of the problem. By the way, my first post in PF addressed to you was about the coherent states.

StatMechGuy said:
In quantum mechanics, coherent states (for the quantum harmonic oscillator, at least), provide position-momentum minimum uncertainty states. If you look at it in terms of second quantized electromagnetic fields, then they correspond to classical electromagnetic fields.

Let check if we use the same notion. I mean a coherent state the solution of SE presented by E. Schrödinger, Die Naturwissenschaften, 14, 664, (1926). About 50 years ago the detailed investigation was initiated by R.J. Glauber et al. Specifically, I am interesting in the coherent states described by P. Carruthers and M. Nieto, Rev. Mod. Phys. 40, 411(1968) since they discuss the minimum uncertainty states which are not necessarily position-momentum and also the minimum uncertainty but not necessarily h/2. I agree that “the bible” is pretty accurate description of M@W.

Your statements:” Never have heard of a coherent state in statistics” and now:” if there is such a thing as a coherent state in statistics then it is quite new -- perhaps connected with recent efforts with Robust Statistics..” make me feel that I am reading a detective story. Besides the coherent states, what is wrong with Maxwell, Boltzmann, Gibbs, Einstein etc. which make it non robust?

Please start to tell the end and please include the relevant references.

Regards, Dany.

P.S. Sorry, it was Vanesch in “Particle-Wave duality and Hamilton-Jacobi equation”:
” But the q-variables in M&W are not exactly this.”

Last edited:
Here's something I found in the http://www.atsweb.neu.edu/math/cp/blog/?id=218&month=04&year=2007&date=2007-04-07 .
(Blog entry: Coherence, April 7, 2007)

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: A.: Exploring Coherent States & Perfect Solutions

1. What are coherent states?

Coherent states are a type of quantum state that exhibit properties of classical states, such as well-defined position and momentum. They are described by a special mathematical function known as the coherent state wave function.

2. How are coherent states used in quantum mechanics?

Coherent states are used in quantum mechanics to describe the dynamics of quantum systems and to understand the behavior of quantum particles. They are also used in quantum information processing, quantum optics, and quantum field theory.

3. What are perfect solutions in quantum mechanics?

Perfect solutions are exact solutions to the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of a quantum system. These solutions represent the ideal behavior of a quantum system and are often used as a theoretical basis for understanding more complex systems.

4. How are coherent states and perfect solutions related?

Coherent states can be considered as "almost perfect" solutions in quantum mechanics. They exhibit properties that are very similar to those of perfect solutions, but with some slight deviations. Coherent states are often used as a good approximation for perfect solutions.

5. Can coherent states and perfect solutions be observed in experiments?

While coherent states and perfect solutions are primarily theoretical concepts, there have been experiments that have observed their properties in quantum systems such as trapped ions and superconducting circuits. However, due to the complex nature of quantum systems, perfect solutions may be difficult to achieve in practical experiments.