A few circuit analysis questions.

In summary, the person is asking for help with solving a problem involving a circuit. They have used superposition to find the steady state DC current in a 20 Ohm resistor, but the presence of a capacitor is throwing them off. They believe that once the capacitor is fully charged, no current will flow into it and they can ignore its effects. They are seeking ideas on how to approach this problem.
SpeedBird
hello there,
i'm wondering how to go about solving this problem
A diagram of the circuit can be seen here
http://www.compsoc.nuigalway.ie/~filter/images/circuit.gif
(i threw it together in microcap) the pulse sourse is actually
meant to be a 2Amp current source. the capacitor
has a value of 1micro-Farad.

By using superposition i have to find the steady state DC
current flowing in the 20 Ohm resistor. i could usually do
this easy but the capacitor is throwing me off. I am assuming
that once a steady state has been reached, the capacitor
will be fully charged and no current will actually be flowing
into it right? if this is the case.. i decided that i could ignore
its effects.. because it should really have any. and this
appears to work. i don't know if its a fluke or not though.

the answers are 0.4A flows in the 20 Ohm resistor due to
the current source and 0.1A flows in the 20 Ohm resistor
due to the voltage source.

any ideas on how to go about this would be welcome.

i need my mind to be put at rest :-) cheers, Nik

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Since your link is broken, the circuit can't be seen so no help can be given

Related to A few circuit analysis questions.

1. What is circuit analysis?

Circuit analysis is the process of evaluating and understanding the behavior of electrical circuits. It involves using mathematical equations and theories to analyze the flow of electrical currents and voltages within a circuit.

2. Why is circuit analysis important?

Circuit analysis is important because it allows us to predict and control the behavior of electrical circuits, which are essential components in many modern technologies. Without circuit analysis, it would be difficult to design and troubleshoot electronic devices.

3. What are the basic components of a circuit?

The basic components of a circuit include a power source (such as a battery or power supply), conductors (such as wires), resistors, capacitors, and inductors. These components work together to control the flow of electricity within the circuit.

4. What are the different types of circuit analysis?

There are two main types of circuit analysis: DC (direct current) analysis and AC (alternating current) analysis. DC analysis is used for circuits with constant voltage sources, while AC analysis is used for circuits with varying voltage sources.

5. How can I apply circuit analysis in real life?

Circuit analysis has many practical applications in our daily lives. It is used in the design and manufacture of electronic devices such as computers, smartphones, and household appliances. It is also used in the electrical systems of buildings and vehicles, as well as in renewable energy systems like solar panels and wind turbines.

Back