A few question on torques and periodic motion.

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions from Kleppner's book related to small oscillations. The first question (6.17) involves finding the frequency of small oscillations of a rod with a spring at its midpoint and far end, both pulling in opposite directions. The second question (6.18) asks for the period of a pendulum consisting of a disk and rod, with a variation in the period if the disk is mounted on a frictionless bearing. The conversation includes equations and discussions about the solutions to these questions, specifically regarding the correct displacement of the springs and the use of rotational problems.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
i have two questions from kleppner's book, here it goes (iv'e attached a file which have the sketchs of the two problems):
A rod of length l and mass m, pivoted at one end, is held by a spring at its midpoint and a spring at its far end, both pulling in opposite directions.
The springs have spring constant k, and at equilibrium their pull is perpendicular to the rod. find the frequency of small oscillations about the equilibrium position.

Find the period of pendulum consisiting of a disk of mass M and radius R fixed to the end of a rod of length l and mass m. how does the period change if the disk is mounted to the rod by a frictionless bearing so that it is perfectly free to spin.

my attempt at solving the problems
i got to the next equations which as i see contradict each other:
[tex](1)=N=cos(\theta)[/tex]
[tex](2)=m\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}=2kx-Nsin(\theta)[/tex]
[tex](3)=x=\frac{l\theta}{2}[/tex]
the fourth equation is the equation of the torques around the point of contact of the rod with pivot:
[tex](4)=\frac{mglsin(\theta)}{2}-2kxsin(\frac{\pi}{2}+\theta)=\frac{ml^2\frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}}{3}[/tex]
but obviously (4) contradicts 1+2, so where did i go wrong here?

without friction between the bearing and the disk we would have the equation of torques this way:
[tex]-(\frac{mglsin(\theta)}{2}+Mglsin(\theta))=I_0 \alpha[/tex]
where:
[tex]I_0=MR^2/2+ml^2/12[/tex]
and with friction, we would have include f*l.
the torques are calculated around the poivot of the rod with the cieling.

anyway, is something from what i wrote is correct? thwe problems is that for those questions there isn't even an answer clue.

Attachments

• Scan10021.jpg
    Scan10021.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 474
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
With respect to 6.17, at first glance, 2 and 3 would appear to be incorrect. The springs will not have the same displacement, except when both springs have zero deflection, if that is possible.

Please refer to the statement "a spring at its midpoint and a spring at its far end, both pulling in opposite directions." The springs are pulling in opposite direction, so one must be in compression while the other is in tension, assuming both have zero deflection at equilibrium. The other part of the statement is "a spring at its [rod] midpoint (l/2) and a spring at its far end (l). So the springs will have different deflections, and x1 and x2, and if x2 is the bottom spring, then x2 = 2*x1.

ithink you meant the other way around, i.e x1=2x2, and i understand how did you get to that, thanks.
btw, what's wrong with (3)?

I think using tan theta=theta for small angles is ok, and Astronuc's objection was again that the two displacements are not the same.

But my own conjecture is that you only need to treat this entirely as a rotational problem, eg

the spring at the top exerts a torque about the pivot=-k*(l*theta)x l

and the moment of inertia is used for both displacements, eg, something along lines of

d"(theta)/dt"=-k*L^2*tan(theta)*sin(pi/2+theta)/Iend-[similar expression for midpoint spring], and finally torque from gravity,

and noting tan=sin/cos and
sin(pi/2+theta)=cos(theta), the problem simplifies nicely.

Last edited:
loop quantum gravity said:
ithink you meant the other way around, i.e x1=2x2, and i understand how did you get to that, thanks.
btw, what's wrong with (3)?
I hadn't seen the attached picture, so I assumed the pivot at the top and the spring at l at the bottom.

The point is that the for small displacement (small angle about the pivot), sin (theta) ~ theta.

if x = l/2 (theta), at the middle spring, then at l, that spring has twice the displacement x, but it is twice x in the opposite direction, or x2 = l*theta.

Equation 3 is only correct for the spring at l/2.

ok, what about the second question?

p.s
thanks for the help.

Related to A few question on torques and periodic motion.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is torque related to rotational motion?

Torque is directly related to rotational motion because it is the force that causes an object to rotate. The greater the torque, the faster the object will rotate.

3. What is the difference between torque and moment of inertia?

Torque is the force that causes an object to rotate, while moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. They are related but different concepts.

4. How do you calculate torque in a system of multiple forces?

To calculate the total torque in a system of multiple forces, you must first calculate the torque for each individual force, using the formula torque = force x distance. Then, add all of the individual torque values together to find the total torque in the system.

5. What is periodic motion?

Periodic motion is any motion that repeats itself at regular intervals. This can include simple harmonic motion, circular motion, and oscillation. One characteristic of periodic motion is that it has a constant period, or time it takes for one complete cycle of motion.

Back