A Few Questions about Going Back to School

• Thread starter Mariogs379
  • Start date
  • Tags
    School
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of pursuing a career in finance, while also considering the option of going back to school for math. The individual has questions about taking classes at Columbia or NYU as a non-degree student and how this may affect their chances of being accepted into a graduate program. They also inquire about the application process for additional classes and how having worked for an i-bank for a few years may impact their chances of getting into grad school.
Mariogs379
Hey all,

I posted a month or so ago but have a couple additional questions. Am going to work for a major i-bank after graduation (in the i-banking division) and am open to the possibility that I'll want to stay in finance for the long-haul. Having said that, I think there's a serious chance I'll want to go back to school for math.

Here are my questions:

1) If I took classes at Columbia/NYU, I could get six classes in. Does being a non-degree student get looked down upon by adcoms? Presumably I'd be taking the same classes as undergrads so I'd hope not. This may be jumping the gun but so far I have calc 1-3, ODEs, linear algebra. 6 classes would get me basically through a BA at my current school.

2) If I took additional classes, how would I go about applying? It seems like I'd need to apply the fall after having taken these classes but then I'd have nothing to do, really for that year. I suppose I could try to find a research gig or something. Seems like a somewhat unique situation.

3) How will having worked for an i-bank for a few years instead of going straight to grad school look? On the one hand, I can't imagine it looks bad to have BoA ML i-banking on your resume, but it might look like I'm less committed or something (which is true at this point, I'm not dead set on going to grad school yet).

Thanks for the help,
Mariogs

Physics news on Phys.org
bump

thanks in advance

FAQ: A Few Questions about Going Back to School

1. What are the benefits of going back to school?

Going back to school can have many benefits, including gaining new knowledge and skills, increasing job opportunities and earning potential, and expanding your professional network.

2. Is it too late to go back to school?

No, it is never too late to go back to school. Many people pursue higher education at different stages in their lives, and age should not be a barrier to furthering your education.

3. How do I balance going back to school with other responsibilities?

Balancing school with other responsibilities can be challenging, but it is possible with good time management and organization. Setting a schedule and prioritizing tasks can help you juggle school and other commitments.

4. Can I go back to school while working full-time?

Yes, it is possible to go back to school while working full-time. Many universities offer flexible schedules, such as evening or online classes, to accommodate working professionals. It may require some sacrifices and dedication, but it can be done.

5. What are the different types of programs available for going back to school?

There are various types of programs available for those looking to go back to school, including traditional undergraduate or graduate degrees, online programs, certificate programs, and vocational or technical training. It is important to research and choose the program that best fits your goals and needs.