A football team consists of 20 defensive and 20 offensive players

• Thread starter mynameisfunk
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the probability of offensive and defensive players being randomly paired as roommates in a football team. The first question asks for the probability of no offensive-defensive pairs, while the second question asks for the probability of exactly 4 offensive-defensive pairs. The solution involves calculating the total number of possible pairings and using combinations and permutations to determine the desired probabilities. The concept of equivalent pairings is also mentioned as a clarification.
mynameisfunk
Hey guys, test review problem, I have the solution but having a very hard time wrapping my head around it.
Q: A football team consists of 20 defensive and 20 offensive players. The players are
to be paired to form roommates and the pairing is done at random.
(a) What is the probability that there are no offensive-defensive pairs?
(b) And that there are exactly 4 offensive-defensive pairs?

A: (a) I know that there are [tex]\frac{40!}{2!^20)}[/tex] total ways to pick pairs. Then we have [tex]\frac{20!}{2!^10}[/tex] total ways that the offensive (or defensive) players can be lined up. Soo... without looking at my solution, my best attempt is [tex]\frac{20!^2}{40!}[/tex] Having squared the numerator and simplifying. Reasoning was that the multiplication rule held for the total ways offensives can pair and total way defensives can pair over the total amount of possible pairs.

B: (b) Again, the total possible pairings are [tex]\frac{40!}{2!^(20)}[/tex]. Now, we have 20C4 ways each group can pick their 4 people to be paired. And [tex]\frac{8!}{2!^4}[/tex] ways to pair these guys up. Now for the rest of one particular group we have [tex]\frac{16!}{2!^8}[/tex] ways for them to pair up, so since there are 2 of these, we square this. My final answer: 20C4[tex]\times[/tex][tex]\frac{16!^22!^2}{40!}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

are you sure about a) ?

have you considered the both the ordering of different pairs & the order within a pair does not change the outcome... though your tex is a little difficult to read

to explain, consider 1234, selecting numbers at random, the following pairings are all equivalent
12 34, 34 12
21 34, 43 12
12 43, 34 21
21 43, 43 21

Related to A football team consists of 20 defensive and 20 offensive players

1. How many players are typically on a football team?

A football team consists of 20 defensive and 20 offensive players, making a total of 40 players.

2. What is the purpose of having both defensive and offensive players on a football team?

The purpose of having both defensive and offensive players is to ensure that the team has players specialized in different roles. Defensive players focus on preventing the opposing team from scoring, while offensive players focus on scoring points for their team.

3. Are there any other types of players on a football team besides defensive and offensive players?

Yes, there are also special teams players on a football team who are responsible for kicking, punting, and returning kicks or punts. However, these players are not included in the total number of 40 players.

4. How are the 20 defensive and 20 offensive players selected for a football team?

The selection process for football teams varies, but generally, players are chosen through tryouts, evaluations, and scouting. Coaches also consider factors such as skill, experience, and physical ability when selecting players for their team.

5. Can players on a football team switch between offensive and defensive positions?

Yes, players on a football team can switch between offensive and defensive positions if needed. This often occurs when a player is more skilled in one position but is needed to fill a gap in another position due to injuries or other circumstances.