A function describing a tilted tube

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a function that is cylindrical symmetric and rotates along a given line. It is possible to construct such a function by using a rotation matrix and slanting it along the line ky=x. It is also possible to slant the function independently in both the x and z dimensions by extending the formula to include k' and k''. The conversation also mentions the possibility of generalizing this result to ellipses.
Niles
Hi

I have a function, which is cylindrical symmetric given by
[tex]
f(x, y, z) = \exp(-x^2-z^2)
[/tex]
For a given [itex]y[/itex], the function [itex]\exp(-x^2-z^2) = c[/itex] traces out a circle (where c is a constant). A contourplot of [itex]f(x, 0, z)[/itex] is attached.

However, this is for [itex]y=0[/itex] (currently, I get the same plot for an arbitrary value of y). I am interested in constructing a function, which is identical to [itex]f[/itex], but where the center of the above circle increases linearly with y. In other words, at [itex]y=y'[/itex] I want my function to have the same contour plot as attached, but its center should be at [itex]y=y'[/itex].

Is it possible to construct such a function? I guess this is merely a tube, which is tilted.

Attachments

• cplot.jpg
    cplot.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 450
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Niles! :smile:

Essentially, this is a function of r, where in the simple case r is the distance from the y-axis,

ie r2 = x2 + z2.

In the slanted case, r is the distance (parallel to the x-z-plane) from (ky',y',0),

so r2 = (x - ky')2 + z2. :wink:

Thanks tiny-tim, that is a good explanation.

If I want to rotate this function by an angle α around the y-axis (for a given slope k), then I need to invoke the rotation matrix. So we now have
[tex]
f(x, y, z) = \exp(-(x-ky)^2)\exp(-z^2)
[/tex]
and in order to rotate it I would use
[tex]
f(x\cos(\alpha) - z\sin(\alpha), y, x\sin(\alpha) + z\cos(\alpha))
[/tex]
Is this correct?

Last edited:

Yes, that looks ok.

tiny-tim said:

Yes, that looks ok.
Thanks. However, I think I am not 100% correct - simply because we're not rotating the function along the [itex]y[/itex]-axis (which is what I suggested above), but along the line [itex]ky=x[/itex]. I'll have to work on this a little more... I can let you know how it turns out.

By the way, can I slant [itex]f[/itex] independenty in both [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]z[/itex]? So if I want a gradient in both of these dimensions, I am allowed to make the trivial extension
[tex]
f(x, y, z) = \exp(-(x-k'y)^2)\exp(-(z-k''z)^2)
[/tex]
I believe so, because the two dimensions are independent of each other.

Niles said:
By the way, can I slant [itex]f[/itex] independenty in both [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]z[/itex]? So if I want a gradient in both of these dimensions, I am allowed to make the trivial extension
[tex]
f(x, y, z) = \exp(-(x-k'y)^2)\exp(-(z-k''z)^2)
[/tex]
I believe so, because the two dimensions are independent of each other.

let's see …

that makes r the distance from (x,y,z) to (k'y,y,k''z),

so yes, that would be from the axis x/k' = z'k'' = y, but slanted so as to be parallel to the x-z plane :smile:

tiny-tim said:
let's see …

that makes r the distance from (x,y,z) to (k'y,y,k''z),

so yes, that would be from the axis x/k' = z'k'' = y, but slanted so as to be parallel to the x-z plane :smile:

Thanks, that's also what I thought.. I'm interested in seeing how to generalize this result to ellipses. I'll best create a new thread in order to keep things organized, but I will refer to this thread.

Last edited:

Related to A function describing a tilted tube

1. What is a tilted tube function?

A tilted tube function is a mathematical representation that describes the shape of a tube that is tilted at an angle with respect to a reference axis. It can be used to model a variety of physical phenomena, such as fluid flow or heat transfer.

2. How is a tilted tube function different from a regular tube function?

A tilted tube function takes into account the angle at which the tube is tilted, whereas a regular tube function assumes that the tube is oriented vertically. This means that a tilted tube function will have different values for parameters such as length, diameter, and curvature.

3. What factors affect the shape of a tilted tube function?

The shape of a tilted tube function is primarily affected by the angle of tilt, the length and diameter of the tube, and the material properties of the tube. Other factors such as external forces or boundary conditions may also influence the function.

4. How is a tilted tube function used in scientific research?

Tilted tube functions are often used in scientific research to model and understand various physical processes, such as fluid flow in pipes, heat transfer in heat exchangers, and diffusion in membranes. They can also be used to design and optimize engineering systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using a tilted tube function?

While tilted tube functions are a useful tool in scientific research, they do have some limitations. They may not accurately represent real-world situations where the tube is not perfectly tilted, and they may not account for all possible variables or external factors. Additionally, the accuracy of the function may depend on the quality and quantity of data used to derive it.