A fundamental question about research

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of c=h=g=1 in research and how it is becoming more common. One person does not use it because it makes their calculations easier to understand with units, but they may switch to it in the future. The use of these units is also dependent on the field of research and can make comparisons with other results more challenging.

Are you using c=h=g=1?

• yes, I do

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • No, I don't

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
MacRudi
When you are in research behind your desk, are you using c=h=g=1?
I think this is common now. Everyone is doing it.
Is there anyone, who is not doing it?
And if, why?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't do it because keeping units in my calculations makes them easier for me to understand on a physical level (I either use MKS-SI units, or work on concepts independent of choice of units (as in quantum information theory)).
But then, the theory work I do is simple enough that there isn't enough savings to be worth it.
If I want to avoid hbar, I consider frequency and wavenumber instead of energy and momentum.

##c=1## always (GeV is energy, mass and momentum), ##\hbar=1## sometimes (decay widths for short-living particles in MeV), ##g=1## never (doesn't help in experimental particle physics).

Currently, I don't but I will once I move to my next lab, where I will most likely work with the atomic units (in which ##\hbar=1##). Honestly, I don't like those inventions on unit since it makes comparison with the other result reported in papers in a different field of research indirect, and requires a calculator.

thanks for your answers

Related to A fundamental question about research

1. What is the purpose of research?

The purpose of research is to systematically gather and analyze information in order to answer a specific question or solve a problem. It is a process of inquiry that aims to expand knowledge and understanding in a particular subject or field.

2. What are the different types of research?

There are several types of research, including basic research, applied research, quantitative research, qualitative research, and mixed methods research. Basic research is focused on expanding knowledge and understanding, while applied research is aimed at solving practical problems. Quantitative research involves collecting and analyzing numerical data, while qualitative research is focused on gathering and interpreting non-numerical data. Mixed methods research combines both quantitative and qualitative approaches.

3. What is the importance of research in society?

Research plays a crucial role in society by providing evidence-based solutions to problems, driving innovation and technological advancements, and expanding our understanding of the world. It also helps to inform decision-making and policy development in various fields, including healthcare, education, and economics.

4. What are the key steps in the research process?

The research process typically involves the following steps: identifying a research question, conducting a literature review, formulating a hypothesis, designing a study, collecting and analyzing data, interpreting the results, and communicating the findings. These steps may vary depending on the type of research and methodology used.

5. How do researchers ensure the validity and reliability of their findings?

Researchers use various methods to ensure the validity and reliability of their findings. These include using appropriate research designs, ensuring the accuracy and consistency of data collection methods, using statistical analysis to test the significance of results, and conducting peer review and replication studies to validate findings. Additionally, researchers must also adhere to ethical principles and standards to ensure the integrity of their research.