A Future in Electrical Engineering

In summary: EE because they like technology and computers and end up using it in their careers. But there are other fields out there as well.Thank you for the advice!In summary, Jack Brassens is considering engineering as his major and is looking into the different differences between the two programs. He is undecided about whether to specialize in Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering, and is considering taking AP classes next year. He is also considering taking an early-studies college course. He would like to know what other steps he should take to prepare for college.
JackBrassens
Hello,

My name is Jack Brassens and I am currently a Sophomore in high school.
For the past few months I've been thinking a lot about my future and decided that Engineering is something that I really want to major in and live my life doing.

So without further ado, I have a few different questions to ask.

First, I can't quite decide whether I would like to specialize in Computer Engineering or go with the more general Electrical Engineering. What are the major differences between the two (I've researched a bit, but want to hear your explanations)?

Second, I have the opportunity to take AP classes as a Junior next year, as well as an early-studies college course. A little background is that I am currently, and have been this entire school year, in both Algebra 3 and Physics. I plan on taking Calculus next year, but I have one elective block open that I don't know what kind of class to put into. Also, I need to decide on an early-studies class to take.
Any suggestions to help me out there?

Lastly, are there any other things that I should do to familiarize myself with the field and further prepare for college?

Thank you for your time,
Jack Brassens

Engineering news on Phys.org
I am currently a Junior in college studying Electrical and Computer engineering. As far as preparing you for college (as far as the things that seem important to me) are:

1. Properties of logs and exponents.
2. Properties of waves
3. The unit circle
4. Maybe the fundamentals of electricity (When I started my first circuits class I didn't even know the difference between voltage and current). You don't have to overdo it, because most people have never been taught about electricity, and the professors know that.

It seems silly but the things that give me the most trouble are the trivial looking formulas that I would usually cram and forget in high school. (Logs, trig identities, etc).

Chances are good you will change your mind again before college anyway.

Hope this helps,

John

JackBrassens said:
First, I can't quite decide whether I would like to specialize in Computer Engineering or go with the more general Electrical Engineering. What are the major differences between the two (I've researched a bit, but want to hear your explanations)?

I think you just said it. The more general Electrical Engineering is ... well, more general. Study in this area makes you more well versed in the physics, math and various technologies related to most modern areas of electrical engineering. Computer engineering is more specialized to digital and computer systems, and math needed in these areas.

A general electrical engineering program in which you choose your electives in the computer engineering area is almost identical to computer engineering. The main difference would be maybe an extra electromagnetics class. So, EE is a more versatile program.

The simplest way to choose is to ask yourself how much you like physics. If you are a physics nut, then choose general EE. If you are a digital/computer nut, then maybe you want computer engineering.

elect_eng said:
The more general Electrical Engineering is ... well, more general. Study in this area makes you more well versed in the physics, math and various technologies related to most modern areas of electrical engineering. Computer engineering is more specialized to digital and computer systems, and math needed in these areas.

I agree with the above. With a major in EE it's not so hard to get a minor in CE. The reverse is much more difficult. If your degree was in CE and you lose interest after a few years what would you do? Go back to school for an EE? With a degree in EE there are enough different fields to choose from that losing interest in one shouldn't set you back in your career.

I'd say go for the advanced proficient courses only if you can maintain at least a B average in them.

jbord39 said:
1. Properties of logs and exponents.
2. Properties of waves
3. The unit circle
4. Maybe the fundamentals of electricity (When I started my first circuits class I didn't even know the difference between voltage and current). You don't have to overdo it, because most people have never been taught about electricity, and the professors know that.

Sorry, what's a unit circle?

berkeman said:
Sorry, what's a unit circle?

I think he means things taught in pre-calculus - a circle in terms of radian angles, sines, and cosines.

waht said:
I think he means things taught in pre-calculus - a circle in terms of radian angles, sines, and cosines.

Indeed.

Also, EE encompasses things like power distribution and generation while Computer eng does NOT (minus one 2nd year course).

Oh, and on the point that you may not end up liking what you go into, make sure you go to a school that has co-op or internship (mine has both - 4 month summer co-op and a 12 or 16 month internship. And they both count towards your PEng :D)

Are you in the US? My EE course surveyed many topics. There were electives that one could take to specialize further in any particular field but the bare basics of digital and analog design were requisite for everyone. I studied signal processing(analog), logic, microchip layout, state machines, microwave circuits, antennas, and power electronics just to name a few electives from both the digital and analog world. Any accredited college with a BSEE program should offer much of the same.

Okefenokee said:
Are you in the US?

Me or OP? I'm in Canada. But yes, there's a million electives you can take for whatever you want! That's the beauty of it :)

I was asking the OP. I don't know anything about EE programs in other nations but, in the US, any BSEE degree at an accredited university will require a core study of both analog and digital topcis. A student can take any number of electives and internships to specialize their studies.

I live in Maine, but I was looking at McGill university in Montreal as a possible college choice.

Thank you everyone who has posted to help me, but I've still got one question that I don't really have the answer to; what classes, AP or early studies college, should I look into taking next year? So far I'm looking at a "COS 160 - Structered Problem Solving: Java" as an early studies college course that I think will be helpful for Computer Engineering. Other than this, I don't know what to take.

JackBrassens said:
... but I've still got one question that I don't really have the answer to; what classes, AP or early studies college, should I look into taking next year? So far I'm looking at a "COS 160 - Structered Problem Solving: Java" as an early studies college course that I think will be helpful for Computer Engineering. Other than this, I don't know what to take.

Personally, I would recommend focusing on fundamentals in math and physics. Programming is a good skill to get a head start on, so that sounds good. A solid foundation in advanced algebra and trig is important because you don't really cover this much in college courses, but you use these in everything you do in math, physics and engineering. If you are 100% solid in these areas, then go into pre-calc or calc to get a head start on engineering math. Physics is also important. I think freshman year is usually focused on calculus, physics and general education classes, although I'm not familiar with McGill's undergrad curriculum, but you can check this out easily enough.

It's good to plan and get a head start, but don't forget to have some fun too before you dive into your college years. You're only young once. You can learn anytime in your life, but you can't ever get back this period of your life once it passes. I suspect you already have everything you need to succeed in college. Don't let apprehension of the unknown cause you to over-prepare. It may end up being redundant coursework (costs money and time), and could even burn you out a little bit.

By the way, good luck and have fun.

Last edited:
I took AP Calc and found that it helps a lot.

I think also the same about to take step for opportunity to take AP classes in Electrical Engineering.

http://247electrical.co.uk/

Last edited by a moderator:
JackBrassens said:
So far I'm looking at a "COS 160 - Structered Problem Solving: Java" as an early studies college course that I think will be helpful for Computer Engineering. Other than this, I don't know what to take.

Hi, senior in compE here. AP java will get you out of intro CS, but you should probably take intro anyway if it's in C 'cause you need to learn some low level languages to do hardware programming well. (CompE is all about hardware.) AP physics C and AP calculus BC are the other two courses that'll probably help.

All the other posts seems to be ignoring the fact that CompE is half CS, so you've got algorithms, data structures, design, assembly, and a couple of other courses, so you can go into a whole bunch of programming fields after you finish. You learn enough EE that you could probably get EE jobs too, and there's always the option of picking up a few more EE electives in power or analog if it appeals to you.

I think Berkeman's point was that you really don't need to know the unit circle all that well before you start EE. You'll either learn it or look it up somewhere along the way.

FAQ: A Future in Electrical Engineering

What is electrical engineering?

Electrical engineering is a field of engineering that deals with the study, design, and application of electricity, electromagnetism, and electronics. It involves the use of scientific principles and mathematical methods to develop systems and devices that use electricity.

What are the career opportunities in electrical engineering?

Electrical engineering offers a wide range of career opportunities in various industries such as power generation, telecommunications, electronics, and manufacturing. Some common job titles in this field include electrical engineer, power systems engineer, control systems engineer, and electronics engineer.

What skills are required for a future in electrical engineering?

To succeed in electrical engineering, one needs to have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills are important for designing and implementing electrical systems.

What are the educational requirements for becoming an electrical engineer?

Most electrical engineering positions require a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or a related field. Some positions may also require a master's degree, especially for more advanced or research-oriented roles. Continuing education and certifications are also important for staying updated with new technologies and advancements in the field.

What is the future outlook for electrical engineering?

The future for electrical engineering looks very promising, with a growing demand for sustainable and renewable energy sources, advancements in technology, and the increasing use of electronics in various industries. This creates a need for skilled electrical engineers who can design and develop innovative solutions to meet these demands.

Back