A game of roulette and generating functions

psie
Homework Statement
Consider a game of roulette and Charlie who bets one dollar until number ##13## appears, with the roulette wheel having numbers ##0,\ldots,36##. Then he bets one dollar the same number of times on number ##36##. Find the generating function of his loss in the second round. Try also finding the generating function for his overall loss.
Relevant Equations
The probability generating function (pgf) of a sum ##S_N## of random number ##N## of i.i.d. random variables ##X_1,X_2,\ldots## is ##g_{S_N}(t)=g_N(g_X(t))##.
Here's my attempt. So, let ##N\in \text{Fs}(1/37)## be the number of bets on number ##13## (here ##\text{Fs}(1/37)## is the geometric distribution that models the first success), and let ##Y_1,Y_2,\ldots## be the losses in the bets on number ##36##. Thus $$Y_k=\begin{cases} 1,&\text{if number 36 does not appear}\\ -35&(\text{i.e.} -36+1)\quad\text{otherwise}\end{cases},$$and ##Y_1,Y_2,\ldots## are independent with ##P(Y_k=1)=36/37## and ##P(Y_k=-35)=1/37## (note that a negative loss is a gain).

So Charlie's loss in the second round equals ##X=Y_1+\ldots +Y_N##. We know the generating function of ##X## is ##g_X(t)=g_N(g_Y(t))##. Computing the generating function of the geometric distribution is straightforward; it is ##\frac{tp}{1-(1-p)t}## where ##p=1/37##. But what is the generating function of ##Y##?

I have not yet been able to think about the total loss part of the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I didn't do it right. As before, let ##N\in\text{Ge}(p)##, with pdf ##f(n)=(1-p)^{n-1}p## for ##n\geq 1## and ##p=1/37##, be the number of bets on ##13##. If $$Y_k=\begin{cases} 1,&\text{if number 36 does not appear}\\ 0&\text{otherwise}\end{cases},$$ then ##P(Y_k=1)=1-p## and ##P(Y_k=0)=p##. Then the total loss in the second round is ##X=Y_1+\ldots +Y_N##. Applying the formula for ##g_X(t)=g_N(g_Y(t))##, with $$g_N(t)=\frac{tp}{1-(1-p)t},\quad g_Y(t)=p+(1-p)t,$$we have that the pgf of his loss in the second round is $$g_N(g_X (t)) = \frac{p(p + (1-p)t)}{1-(1-p)(p + (1-p)t)}.$$ I am unsure about the pgf for his overall loss though and would be really grateful for some help. I am not sure what the random variable is that describes his overall loss.

My educated guess is that the overall loss is ##X+N##. What complicates things is that I don't think they are independent. In what follows, it'll be clearer if we write ##X=S_N##. The pgf is (I think) $$Et^{S_N+N}=E\left(E\left(t^{S_N+N}\mid N\right)\right).$$ Now, ##E\left(t^{S_N+N}\mid N\right)## is the r.v. ##h(N)##, where $$\begin{align*}h(n)&=E\left(t^{S_N+N}\mid N=n\right) \\ &=E\left(t^{S_n+n}\mid N=n\right) \\ &=E\left(t^{S_n+n}\right) \\ &=t^nEt^{S_n} \\ &=t^n (Et^X)^n \\ &=t^n(g_X(t))^n.\end{align*}$$ So the pgf of the overall loss, i.e. of ##X+N##, is $$Eh(N)=E(t\cdot g_X(t))^N=g_N(t\cdot g_X(t)).$$ The formula at least makes sense if we write ##S_N+N = \sum_{n=1}^N (X_n+1)##.

I realize I abused the notation here in #3 compared to #2. So the pgf of ##X+N##, where ##X=Y_1+\ldots+Y_N##, is $$g_N(t\cdot g_Y(t)),$$ and not ##g_N(t\cdot g_{S_N}(t))##. Sorry.