A good book on Calculus to clear the concepts

In summary, there are several recommended books for learning and practicing calculus, including Serge Lang's texts, Calculus and Analytical Geometry by Thomas/Finney, Moishe, Simmons, Thompson, Kline, Lee, Spivak, Apostol, Kelley, and Schaum. For the stated purpose of improving calculus abilities, Kelley and Schaum's Outline of Calculus are suggested. Other helpful resources include Thomas - Finney "Calculus", Stewart's Calculus, and Schaum's Outlines of Calculus. The 3rd edition of Thomas: Calculus with Analytical Geometry and the 9th edition for multivariable calculus are recommended. These books provide clear explanations and sufficient examples to confidently tackle differentiation and integration problems
Shafia Zahin
Hi,
I want to know about some books that can help me to clear my concepts of calculus.I know the basics of differentiation and integration,but don't have clear idea about it.Well,I would like to buy such a book that has explained the rules and methods of calculus properly.Also,I want to know about any book that can help me to do any kinds of differentiation.So, it would be a great help if anyone can tell me about a book containing sufficient examples and help me to go ahead confidently to do any kinds of differentiation or integration.
Thank you,
Shafia.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are too many calculus texts to list. Your best bet would be to sift through the library and find one that suits you. My personal picks were a combination of Serge Lang's texts and Calculus and Analytical Geometry by Thomas/Finney.

Likes NathanaelNolk, Shafia Zahin and micromass

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Shafia Zahin
Thank you very much for your help.I believe that these books will help me a lot to improve my ability in calculus as I've seen the preview.I'll look up for these books in my nearest book shop soon.
With regards,
Shafia.:smile:

Shafia Zahin said:
Hi,
I want to know about some books that can help me to clear my concepts of calculus.I know the basics of differentiation and integration,but don't have clear idea about it.Well,I would like to buy such a book that has explained the rules and methods of calculus properly.Also,I want to know about any book that can help me to do any kinds of differentiation.So, it would be a great help if anyone can tell me about a book containing sufficient examples and help me to go ahead confidently to do any kinds of differentiation or integration.
Thank you,
Shafia.

In the past I've been taught calculus from the two volumes of Thomas - Finney "Calculus" but I also recommend Stewart's Calculus https://www.amazon.com/dp/0538497815/?tag=pfamazon01-20 and Schaum's Outlines of Calculus https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071795537/?tag=pfamazon01-20 for exercises and problems. After these you can go to advanced texts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Shafia Zahin
I prefer the 3rd edition of Thomas: Calculus with Analytical Geometry 3rd ed. For the multivariable calculus (often called Cal 3),the 9th edition is better than the 3rd. Great use of physics motivation to explain Stokes Theorem.

Likes Shafia Zahin

Related to A good book on Calculus to clear the concepts

1. What makes a good book on Calculus?

A good book on Calculus should have clear and concise explanations, plenty of examples and practice problems, and a variety of difficulty levels to cater to different learning styles. It should also have a comprehensive index and glossary for easy reference.

2. Is it important to have a strong foundation in algebra before studying Calculus?

Yes, having a strong foundation in algebra is essential for understanding and solving complex calculus problems. It is important to have a thorough understanding of algebraic concepts such as equations, functions, and graphing before diving into calculus.

3. Are there any online resources that can supplement a good book on Calculus?

Yes, there are many online resources such as video tutorials, interactive practice problems, and forums where you can ask questions and get help from other students and experts. These resources can be a great supplement to a good book on Calculus.

4. How can I know if I am understanding the concepts correctly while studying from a book?

You can test your understanding by solving practice problems and checking your answers. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to discuss and clarify any doubts you may have. Additionally, many books also have online resources or answer keys to help you check your understanding.

5. Is it necessary to read the entire book to understand Calculus?

No, it is not necessary to read the entire book. It is important to focus on the topics and concepts that you are struggling with and spend more time on those. However, it is also important to have a general understanding of all the topics covered in the book to have a well-rounded understanding of Calculus.