A good time to join the graphene bandwagon?

In summary, the large number of researchers in graphene means that it will be harder to make a significant impact in a thesis. The job market for graphene phd's is uncertain, but possible if the researcher is willing to move to a different area of research.
fiziks
Graphene research has been going on for a decade now, with huge numbers of researchers piling into get a cut of the magic. I have a PhD offer in the topic of the mechanical properties of graphene, and I am pondering whether to accept and join the bandwagon myself.

I would be interested to hear people's experiences and opinions on situations like this, in which there is a sudden explosion in research in a completely new area. I have a few questions of my own:

1. Does the fact that so many people are in the field now mean that it will be harder to do a phd with a strong impact? With so many competitors who have been in the field a while, is it not harder for a student to catch up and do something worthwhile in their thesis when the pace of the field is so great?

2. What happens to the job market in these situations? Will the large cohort of phd students trained in the graphene boom years be in trouble when research subsides and funding decreases?

3. After my graphene phd, how easy would it be to move to a different area of research in the broader field of nanoscience/nanotech? If I had been trained in 2D materials, could I make the move to say microfluidics or microrobotics or similar?

I have little understanding or insight into the pro's and con's of joining emerging fields such as this, so would be grateful for any offered here. Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
I am wondering the same thing because I am considering joining a graphene research group when I start grad school this Fall.

The advantage of a hot field is that it is interesting and there are a lot of people working on it. The disadvantage of a hot field is that it is interesting and there are a lot of people working on it.

I think it is a mistake to think of this as a process that makes you a graphene expert. It would be much wiser to think of this as a process that makes you an expert in thin films and particularly mechanical properties of thin films.

^^very excellent observation considering that thin films are actually a very broad and important topic with lots of flexible avenues of study and potential in industry.

Be an investor rather than an investigator...

Related to A good time to join the graphene bandwagon?

1. What is graphene and why is it important?

Graphene is a single layer of carbon atoms arranged in a honeycomb lattice structure. It is the thinnest, strongest, and most conductive material known to man, making it a highly promising material for various applications in fields such as electronics, energy storage, and biomedicine.

2. How do I know if it is a good time to invest in graphene?

The best time to invest in graphene is when there is a growing demand for its applications and when there are advancements in production methods that make it more cost-effective. It is also important to consider the stability of the market and the potential for long-term growth.

3. What are the potential risks of investing in the graphene industry?

As with any investment, there are always risks involved. Some potential risks of investing in the graphene industry include technological challenges in production, competition from other materials, and regulatory issues. It is important to thoroughly research and understand these risks before making any investment decisions.

4. How can I get involved in the graphene industry as a scientist?

As a scientist, you can contribute to the graphene industry by conducting research and developing new applications for this material. You can also collaborate with companies that are working with graphene or seek job opportunities in this field. Networking and staying up-to-date with the latest developments in the industry are also important for involvement.

5. What are some potential uses for graphene in the future?

Graphene has a wide range of potential uses in various industries. Some potential future applications include flexible and transparent electronics, more efficient solar panels, stronger and lighter materials for aerospace and automotive industries, and advancements in biotechnology and medicine. Continued research and development in this field will likely uncover even more potential uses for graphene in the future.