A gravity problem i came across.

• Thread starter robert_jaas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of energy being created or transferred through different states. The specific scenario of a space shuttle being put in orbit around a planet with a strong gravitational pull is brought up, and the question of whether energy is created in that situation is raised. It is noted that the shuttle's speed increases when leaving the orbit, but it is clarified that this increase in speed is due to the burning of fuel and not a spontaneous occurrence.
robert_jaas
Hello!

Im sure we're all familiar with the fact that energy can't be created, only changed into diffrent states. However, I've been thinking about this scenario i find rather strange:
If a space-shuttle is put in orbit around a planet or object with large gravity, the shuttle will accelerate around it. When the speed is high enough the gravity-field will not be able to keep the shuttle in orbit, and it will be thrown out into space again.

My question is: Have energy been created? Since the shuttle have greater speed after leaving the orbit than when it entered the orbit.

Im sure my problem is somehow invalid, i just want to get this one out of my head.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You say, "when the speed is high enough..." Aren't you implying that fuel is being burnt (and energy transferred into kinetic) in order to achieve the higher speed? Maybe I just don't understand the set-up.

I think you have the wrong idea. A body in orbit around another body is accelerating and acceleration is a change in velocity. However velocity is a vector, and it is the angle part of the velocity which is changing not the speed. The speed varies slightly because of the orbit eccentricity but the orbit doesn't change, apart from losing energy to friction etc.

robert_jaas said:
Hello!My question is: Have energy been created? Since the shuttle have greater speed after leaving the orbit than when it entered the orbit.

The shuttle will indeed have more energy, but YOU have to give it that energy. As Philip Wood said, probably by burning fuel. It's not just going to happen by itself spontaneously.

Ok, thanks for the help!

Related to A gravity problem i came across.

What is a gravity problem?

A gravity problem is a scenario or situation where the force of gravity is a key factor in determining the outcome or solution.

How does gravity affect objects?

Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards each other. The larger the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull. This is why objects with more mass, like planets, have a stronger gravitational pull than smaller objects, like humans.

How do scientists study gravity?

Scientists study gravity through various experiments and observations. They use mathematical equations, such as Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, to calculate and predict the effects of gravity on objects.

What are some examples of gravity problems?

Some examples of gravity problems include calculating the trajectory of a falling object, determining the amount of force needed to launch a rocket into space, or predicting the orbit of a satellite around a planet.

Why is understanding gravity important?

Understanding gravity is important because it is a fundamental force of nature that affects all objects in the universe. It helps us understand how objects move and interact with each other, and it is crucial for advancements in fields such as astrophysics, engineering, and space exploration.