A great post over in General Astronomy

In summary, there is a great post in General Astronomy by the author "moving finger". The post discusses the quote from the Rubaiyat about the fleeting nature of time and the author's interest in science history. The discussion also mentions Rovelli, a physicist who has incorporated history into his work on quantum gravity. The conversation ends with a suggestion for a potential history of science subforum on PF.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
there is a great post over in General Astronomy
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=507074&postcount=14

the author is someone I'm not familiar with named "moving finger"

as in my wife's favorite verse from the Rubaiyat
(no kidding, she likes the Rubaiyat and this quatrain is her favorite of them)

the moving finger writes, and having writ,
moves on, nor all your piety nor wit
can call it back to cancel half a line,
nor all your tears wash out a word of it.

thing about the poster MF is he knows some science history
science history is interesting-----Rovelli the LQG guy has a second degree
in it and has taught history of science sometimes instead of Gen Rel and Quantum Gravity----and his book about quantum gravity is very much informed by the history of peoples ideas of space and time, and the historical perspective adds to the physics. So I know that history of science is important as well as fun.

some day PF should have a history of science subforum. it might have very good threads

Physics news on Phys.org
Marcus said:
some day PF should have a history of science subforum. it might have very good threads

Second the motion! Here! Here!

in it.

Thank you for bringing this post to our attention! The quote from the Rubaiyat is definitely thought-provoking and a great reminder of the power and permanence of our actions. It's interesting to see how the author, "moving finger," connects this idea to science history and the influence it has on current theories and ideas. I agree that a history of science subforum would be a valuable addition to Physics Forums. It would provide a space for discussions on the evolution of scientific thought and how it has shaped our understanding of the world. I hope to see more posts like this in the future!

Related to A great post over in General Astronomy

1. What is the topic of the post in General Astronomy?

The topic of the post in General Astronomy is a discussion on a recent astronomical discovery or development.

2. Who is the author of the post?

The author of the post is usually a member of the astronomy community, such as a scientist, researcher, or educator.

3. What are some common themes or subjects discussed in "A great post over in General Astronomy"?

Some common themes or subjects discussed in "A great post over in General Astronomy" include new discoveries in space, updates on ongoing research or missions, and discussions on current theories or debates in the field of astronomy.

4. Can anyone participate in the discussion on "A great post over in General Astronomy"?

Yes, anyone with an interest in astronomy can participate in the discussion by commenting on the post or sharing their own thoughts and insights.

5. How can I stay updated on new posts in General Astronomy?

You can stay updated on new posts in General Astronomy by subscribing to the forum or following the author's social media accounts. You can also check the forum regularly for new posts or use the search function to find topics that interest you.