A guide to Calculating the Laurent Series of $\frac{33}{(2z - 1)(z + 5)}$

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Laurent series for a given function and determining the annulus in which it converges, particularly focusing on the case where the point $z = -3i$ lies in the middle annulus. The process involves using partial fractions and converting the given function into a series form, and the book used for reference is "Complex Analysis" by Serge Lang.
Dustinsfl
I have never done a Laurent series nor have we went over it in class but I guess I am supposed to know it perfectly already. The explanation in the book isn't that great.

Find the Laurent series of the form $\sum\limits_{n = -\infty}^{\infty}c_nz^n$ for $f(z) = \dfrac{33}{(2z - 1)(z + 5)}$ that converges in an annulus containing the point $z = -3i$

So I have used partial fractions
$$
f(z) = \frac{33}{(2z - 1)(z + 5)} = \frac{6}{2z - 1} - \frac{3}{z + 5}
$$

What am I supposed to do next?

Is this it

$$
\frac{-6}{1-2z}=-6(1+2z+(2z)^2+\cdots )\quad\text{and}\quad
\frac{3/5}{1-\left(-z/5\right)} = \frac{3}{5}\left(1+\frac{-z}{5}+\left(\frac{-z}{5}\right)^2+\cdots \right)
$$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are some cases to be considered. The function is analytic when \( |z| < \frac{1}{2} \), \( \frac{1}{2} < |z| < 5 \) and \( 5 < |z| < \infty \). The only annulus that contains \( z = -3i \) is the middle. So, we need that \( |z| > \frac{1}{2} \) which means \( \left| \frac{1}{2z} \right| < 1 \) and \( |z| < 5 \) with \( \left| \frac{z}{5} \right| < 1 \).

Then $$\frac{6}{2z-1} = \frac{3}{z} \cdot \frac{1}{1 - \frac{1}{2z}} = \frac{3}{z} \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} 2^{-n} z^{-n} = 3 \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} 2^{-n} z^{-(n+1)}$$ and $$\frac{-3}{z+5} = \frac{-3}{5} \cdot \frac{1}{1 - \left( - \frac{z}{5} \right) } = \frac{-3}{5} \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n z^n}{5^n} = -3 \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n z^n}{5^{n+1}}.$$

Finally, $$ f(z) = 3 \left( \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} 2^{-n} z^{-(n+1)} - \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n z^n}{5^{n+1}} \right).$$

Hope it's clear. By the way, which book are you using?

Last edited:
Fantini said:
Hope it's clear. By the way, which book are you using?

Complex Analysis by Serge Lang

FAQ: A guide to Calculating the Laurent Series of $\frac{33}{(2z - 1)(z + 5)}$

1. What is a Laurent series?

A Laurent series is a representation of a complex function as an infinite sum of terms, including both positive and negative powers of the variable. It is used to extend the concept of a Taylor series to functions with singularities or branch points.

2. Why is it important to calculate the Laurent series of a function?

Calculating the Laurent series of a function allows us to better understand its behavior near singularities or branch points. It can also help us approximate the function and evaluate it at specific points.

3. How do you calculate the Laurent series of a function?

To calculate the Laurent series of a function, we first need to identify the singularities or branch points of the function. Then, we use the appropriate formula to expand the function into an infinite series of terms. The coefficients of these terms can be found using the Cauchy integral formula or by repeatedly differentiating the function.

4. What is the Laurent series of the function $\frac{33}{(2z - 1)(z + 5)}$?

The Laurent series of this function is:
$\frac{11}{z + 5} - \frac{1}{2z - 1}$
This can be obtained by first finding the singularities at $z = -5$ and $z = \frac{1}{2}$, and then using the formula for the Laurent series around a simple pole.

5. How can the Laurent series be used in practical applications?

The Laurent series has many practical applications, including in physics, engineering, and finance. It can be used to approximate complex functions, solve differential equations, and analyze the behavior of systems with singularities. It is also commonly used in signal processing and image reconstruction.

Back