A Hamiltonian represented by a matrix, find the eigevalues

In summary, John has been struggling with a problem and goes on to ask on a forum what people think might work best for him. After some basic algebra, he is able to find the eigenstate and eigenenergies for the given Hamiltonian.
Jdraper

Homework Statement

Been struggling with a particular problem that keeps coming up in one of my modules, so i thought i'd see if anyone here can enlighten me.

A Hamiltonian H0 is represented by the matrix:

top row: 3 0 -1
Middle row: 0 a 0
Bottom row: -1 0 3

(Unsure how to display matrices)

where is a dimensionless parameter. Show that (1/√2)(1 0 1) is an
eigenstate of the Hamiltonian and derive its eigenvalue. Find the other
two eigenstates and the associated eigenenergies.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

Can find the eigenenergy associated with the eigenstate given to us with relative ease, it has a value of 2eV.

However finding the remaining eigenstates has always puzzled me. Is there easy way to find them? as opposed to learning how to use row operators.

Thanks, John

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll try contribute something, it could be wrong but might give you some ideas. for

[tex]H =
\begin{pmatrix}
3 & 0 & -1\\
0 & a & 0\\
-1 & 0 & 3
\end{pmatrix} [/tex]

we can write

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}
3 & 0 & -1\\
0 & a & 0\\
-1 & 0 & 3
\end{pmatrix} \Psi = E\Psi[/tex]

we can introduce the identity operator

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}
3 & 0 & -1\\
0 & a & 0\\
-1 & 0 & 3
\end{pmatrix} \Psi =
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 1 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}
E\Psi[/tex]

put E in the matrix and minus from the left hand side so

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}
3-E & 0 & -1-E\\
0 & a-E & 0\\
-1-E & 0 & 3-E
\end{pmatrix} \Psi = 0[/tex]

we can then insert the matrix form of the eigen state

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}
3-E & 0 & -1-E\\
0 & a-E & 0\\
-1-E & 0 & 3-E
\end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix}
a_{1}\\ a_{2}
\\ a_{3}

\end{pmatrix}
= 0[/tex]

then take the determinant and this will give you the possible energy values. for each energy value put it back into the matrix and it will tell you what a1, a2 and a3 are in relation to each other. once you know this then it should be clear where the given wave function comes from. i.e. a1=a3 and a2 = 0 and what the other possible eigenstates are.

Essentially what you are doing is what is commonly known as diagonalising the matrix. You should look up some basic linear algebra texts or even google to find out more about the details. The general idea in post #2 is correct, although some careless mistakes slipped in from line 4 onwards.
Give it a try and let us know if you face any further problems when trying to work them out.

Related to A Hamiltonian represented by a matrix, find the eigevalues

1. What is a Hamiltonian matrix?

A Hamiltonian matrix is a square matrix that represents a physical system's total energy, including both kinetic and potential energy. It is used in quantum mechanics to describe the evolution of a system over time.

2. What are eigenvalues?

Eigenvalues are the values that satisfy a specific equation when multiplied by a given vector. In the context of a Hamiltonian matrix, they represent the possible energy states of the system.

3. How do you find the eigenvalues of a Hamiltonian matrix?

To find the eigenvalues of a Hamiltonian matrix, you can use a variety of methods such as diagonalization or the characteristic polynomial. However, the most common method is to use a computer algorithm, such as the QR algorithm or the Jacobi algorithm.

4. What is the significance of finding eigenvalues of a Hamiltonian matrix?

The eigenvalues of a Hamiltonian matrix represent the possible energy states of a physical system. This information is crucial in understanding the behavior and evolution of the system, particularly in quantum mechanics.

5. Can the eigenvalues of a Hamiltonian matrix change over time?

No, the eigenvalues of a Hamiltonian matrix are constant and do not change over time. However, the corresponding eigenvectors may change, which can affect the overall behavior of the system.