A: How far does a car traveling at 90.0 km/h take to stop?

• Thread starter cherryrocket
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the camera dropped from the helicopter will have a vertical displacement of 1 meter after 2 seconds, while the helicopter itself will have risen 8 meters in that same time. Therefore, the camera and the helicopter will be 9 meters apart.
cherryrocket
7.Q: "Nancy was riding in a helicopter which was rising at 4.0 m/s when she dropped her camera out. After 2.0 s how far apart were the camera and the helicopter?"
A: This isn't an acceleration question is it? Just velocity?
d=vt = (4.0m/s)(2.0s) = 8.0m

8.Q: "A certain car tire can accelerate a car to a stop at a maximum rate of -11.2 m/s^2".
A driver going at 90.0 km/h sees a hole 30.0m ahead and hits the brakes. How far does it take the car to stop? Does the car hit the hole? Assume a reaction time of zero seconds."
A: :confused:
a = -11.2 m/s^2
v = 90.0 km/h = 24.993 m/s = 25.0 m/s

t=v/a = 25.0m/s / -11.2 m/s^2 = 36.2s

d=vt = 25.0m/s / (36.2s) = 0.691 m

"The car stops 0.691 m later, so no it does not hit the hole." Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
For number 7, yes it is an acceleration problem...

You got the distance the helicopter traveled in 2.0s. So the helicopter has a vertical displacement of 8.0m from the place where the camera is dropped...

But what is the camera's displacement? The camera also moves.

For number 8,

you seem to be doing something wrong with your calculations... 25/11.2 is not 36.2

And why are you dividing instead of multiplying when you calculate d = vt ?

Nancy's dropped camera REvised

okay, so first I went:
d=vt =4m/s(2s)
= 8m.
So 8m is the distance that the helicopter rised in 2 secs, from the time the camera was dropped.

Then I look for the final velocity of the camera, because I will need it in a formula.
Vf = 4m/s + (-9.81m/s^2 X 2sec)
Vf = 4 m/s + (-19.62 m/s)
Vf = -15.62 m/s a formula for distance:
d = (Vf - Vi)/2a
= (-15.62 m/s - 4m/s) / 2(-9.81m/s^2)
= -19.62 m.s^2/-19.62m/s^s
= 1 m

So the Camera went down 1 m from where Nancy dropped it. Thus, the helicopter and the camera are 9 m apart.
Is this right?
I think negatives and positives (if I didn't get them right) are going to screw up my answer big time.

Someone please answer my question. I really need it... it is the last question on my assignment and I need to understand it... thnks

In this part:

"d = (Vf - Vi)/2a
= (-15.62 m/s - 4m/s) / 2(-9.81m/s^2)
= -19.62 m.s^2/-19.62m/s^s
= 1 m"

You need d = (Vf^2 - Vi^2)/2a

which gives d = -11.62

The minus sign indicates the camera went down... if there was no minus sign, then the camera went up (which could definitely have been a possibility if they chose a different time instead of 2s).

So the answer is 8 + 11.62 = 19.62m

Another way to look at it... the position of the helicopter is 1m (taking the start point as 0m)

The position of the camera is -11.62m

The displacement from the helicopter to the camera is position of helicopter - position of camera

8 - (-11.62) = 19.62m (that way, the minus signs are taken care of)

You could have also calculated the position of the camera with:

d = v1*t + (1/2)at^2

d = 4*2 + (1/2)(-9.81)*2^2 = -11.62m (same answer as before).

anyway, your answer is 19.62m.

cherryrocket said:
So the Camera went down 1 m from where Nancy dropped it. Thus, the helicopter and the camera are 9 m apart.
Is this right?
I think negatives and positives (if I didn't get them right) are going to screw up my answer big time.

For this question, another way to 'verify' your answer is to think about it. The amount the helicopter has risen is correct, and it makes sense, however the idea that a camera would have only fallen 1 m in two seconds, hmmm, just doesn't ring true. I know you can't often use this type of thinking, but for this particular problem it is useful.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Related to A: How far does a car traveling at 90.0 km/h take to stop?

1. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is the rate at which an object covers distance, while velocity is the rate at which an object covers both distance and direction. In other words, velocity takes into account the direction of motion, while speed does not.

2. How are acceleration and force related?

Acceleration is directly proportional to the net force acting on an object, and inversely proportional to the mass of the object. This means that the greater the force applied, the greater the acceleration, and the greater the mass of the object, the smaller the acceleration.

3. Can an object have constant speed but changing velocity?

Yes, an object can have constant speed but changing velocity if it changes direction while moving at a constant speed. This is because velocity takes into account both speed and direction.

4. What is the difference between uniform and non-uniform motion?

Uniform motion is when an object moves in a straight line with a constant speed, while non-uniform motion is when an object's speed or direction changes over time. In other words, uniform motion is when an object moves at a steady pace, while non-uniform motion is when the object's motion is irregular.

5. How is displacement different from distance?

Displacement is the shortest distance between the starting and ending point of an object's motion in a specific direction, while distance is the total length of the path traveled by an object. Displacement takes into account the direction of motion, while distance does not.