A KE derivation from Compton Effect

In summary, the conversation involves deriving an equation for kinetic energy (KE) and finding a way to turn the term \frac{{\lambda '}}{{\lambda _o ^2 }} into 1 + (\frac{{\Delta \lambda }}{{\lambda _o }}). The speaker has already derived KE = \frac{{hc}}{{\lambda _o }} - \frac{{hc}}{{\lambda '}} and is now trying to manipulate it to get the desired form. They are considering the term \frac{\Delta \lambda}{\lambda_0}=\frac{\lambda-\lambda_0}{\lambda_0} and are looking for any special properties of the equation they are trying to find.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
I have an odd problem here. I need to show that:

[tex]KE = \frac{{\frac{{\Delta \lambda }}{\lambda }}}{{1 + (\frac{{\Delta \lambda }}{\lambda })}}hf[/tex]

I've basically derived [tex] KE = \frac{{hc}}{{\lambda _o }} - \frac{{hc}}{{\lambda '}}[/tex] down to…

[tex] KE(\frac{{\lambda '}}{{\lambda _o ^2 }}) = (\frac{{\Delta \lambda }}{{\lambda _o }})hf[/tex]

but I'm not sure how I can turn that [tex] \frac{{\lambda '}}{{\lambda _o ^2 }}[/tex] into a [tex] 1 + (\frac{{\Delta \lambda }}{{\lambda _o }})[/tex]

Can anyone help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\Delta E=\frac{hc}{\lambda_0}(1-\frac{\lambda_0}{\lambda})[/tex]

[tex]1-\frac{\lambda_0}{\lambda}=\frac{\lambda-\lambda_0}{\lambda}=\frac{\frac{\lambda-\lambda_0}{\lambda_0}}{1+\frac{\lambda-\lambda_0}{\lambda_0}}[/tex]

Consider [tex]\frac{\Delta \lambda}{\lambda_0}=\frac{\lambda-\lambda_0}{\lambda_0}[/tex]

And we have the answer

Alright i'll try to get to that myself... is there anything special about the equation they wanted me to find?

Related to A KE derivation from Compton Effect

1. What is the Compton Effect and how does it relate to kinetic energy?

The Compton Effect is a phenomenon in which the wavelength of a photon increases after colliding with an electron. This change in wavelength is directly related to the kinetic energy of the electron, as the energy of the photon is transferred to the electron during the collision.

2. How is the kinetic energy of the electron calculated from the Compton Effect?

The kinetic energy of the electron can be calculated using a formula derived from the Compton Effect, which takes into account the change in wavelength of the photon and the mass of the electron. This formula is KE = (hc)/λ - (hc)/λ', where KE is the kinetic energy, h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, λ is the initial wavelength of the photon, and λ' is the final wavelength of the photon after the collision.

3. Is the kinetic energy of the electron always conserved in the Compton Effect?

No, the kinetic energy of the electron is not always conserved in the Compton Effect. This is because some of the energy from the photon is also transferred to the scattered photon, resulting in a decrease in the kinetic energy of the electron.

4. What is the significance of the Compton wavelength in the KE derivation?

The Compton wavelength, also known as the Compton scattering length, is a fundamental constant in physics that represents the scale at which quantum effects become important. In the KE derivation from the Compton Effect, this wavelength is used to calculate the change in wavelength of the photon, which is a crucial factor in determining the kinetic energy of the electron.

5. How does the KE derivation from the Compton Effect contribute to our understanding of particle interactions?

The KE derivation from the Compton Effect provides a way to calculate the kinetic energy of electrons in particle interactions, which is important in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles. It also supports the concept of energy conservation, as the energy of the photon is transferred to the electron during the collision.