A little bit beyond projectile motion.

In summary, the conversation discusses a projectile motion project that involves launching a ping-pong ball from a device with an adjustable launch angle and measuring its distance traveled at various angles. The goal is to develop equations of motion in terms of x and y and find the drag coefficient of the ball. The equations involve the force of drag and acceleration in the x and y directions. The person is seeking help with using MATLAB to plot the projectile motion and velocity in terms of x and y.
faust9
Ok, here's the deal. I have a projectile motion project that goes a little beyond the normal "ideal projectile" problems.

The project consisted of shooting a projectile from a device that, within a few percent, launched a projectile at the same initial velocity every time it is fired. The launcher has an adjustable launch angle and shoots a ping-pong ball sized 5g projectile with a rough surface (yellow foam ball). My team shot the ball ten times at 15,30,45, and 60 degrees and then measure the distance traveled. We were told this data will be used later this week to find the drag coefficient of the ball but for today I simply need to develop a general equation of motion given:

[tex]v_0=100m/s,\ \theta=30^\circ,\ m_{proj}=20kg[/tex] and various values of K.

Also, the force of drag is described as [tex]F_D=-Kv^2[/tex]

where K is the drag coefficient and v is velocity.

I need to develop the equations of motion in terms of x and y for this "test" projectile which I will use later on to find the drag coefficient of our yellow ball and predict the range of the ball given an angle of launch.

I know I need 2 second order ODE's which I can convert to four first order ODE's, but I don't know where to start or how to start.

I have my FBD--a round ball with weight parallel to the y-axis and drag opposite to the direction of velocity.

Any help would be greatly appreciated here. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
what equations did u get from ur FBD?
Also give ur thoughts on how u think u would like to proceed?

-- AI
P.S -> Man this is fun ... i wish i had done physics this way ... :(

That's the thing. We are told to express our equations of motion in terms of x/y but I don't know how to do that. My I get the following from my FBD:

i: [tex]m\vec a=-\vec F_{Dx} [/tex]

j: [tex]m\vec a=-\vec F_{Dy} \sin - \vec W[/tex]

I know that [tex]\vec a=\ddot {x} i+\ddot {y} j[/tex]

I don't see how this helps though because theta is changing as is the acceleration.

[edit] I've combined forces in the x/y direction to get:

i direction: [tex]\ddot{x}=\frac{-F_{Dx}}{m} [/tex]

j direction: [tex]\ddot{y}=\frac{-F_{Dy}}{m}-g [/tex]

Last edited:
i direction: [tex]\ddot{x}=\frac{-Kv^2\cos \theta}{m} [/tex]

j direction: [tex]\ddot{y}=\frac{-Kv^2\sin \theta}{m}-g [/tex]

Is this correct thus far?

In know also that [itex]\dot{x}(0)=100\frac{m}{s}\cos \theta,\ \dot{y}(0)=100\frac{m}{s}\sin \theta[/itex] and [itex]x(0)=0,\ y(0)=0[/itex]

Last edited:
OK, I've got this so far:

[tex]m\ddot x+Kv^2\cos \theta=0[/tex]
[tex]m\ddot y+Kv^2\sin \theta+mg=0[/tex]

I have to use MATLAB to display a graph of this using the ODE45 function. Unfortunetly, I've never used MATLAB before so this is quite a problem.

From whay I understand, I have to set up an m-file containing a vector where all of the ODE functions are stored.

I think I need a vector like this : v={v(1),v(2),v(3),v(4)} where:

v(1)=x
v(2)=y
v(3)=x_dot
v(4)=y_dot

I also have the following:[itex]\dot x(1)=x(3)[/itex], [itex]\dot x(2)=x(4)[/itex], [itex]\dot x(3)=\ddot x[/itex], and [itex]\dot x(4)=\ddot y[/itex].

thus:
[tex]m\dot x(3)+Kv^2\cos \theta=0[/tex]
[tex]m\dot x(4)+Kv^2\sin \theta+mg=0[/tex]

which I can solve for x_dot (x(3)_dot) and y_dot(x(4)_dot) but I'm not entirely sure if I need to:
[tex]\dot x(3)=\frac{-Kv^2\cos \theta}{m}[/tex]
[tex]\dot x(4)=\frac{-Kv^2\sin \theta}{m}-g[/tex]

I am so lost with this right now. What exactly do I do with the above to get a plot of projectile motion in terms of x and y and a plot of velocity in terms of x and y? Is there anyone out there who can help?

Last edited:

Related to A little bit beyond projectile motion.

1. What is "A little bit beyond projectile motion?"

"A little bit beyond projectile motion" refers to the study and analysis of objects in motion that go beyond the basic laws of projectile motion. This can include factors such as air resistance, spin, and non-uniform gravitational fields.

2. Why is it important to study "A little bit beyond projectile motion?"

Studying "A little bit beyond projectile motion" allows scientists to better understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion, which has practical applications in fields such as engineering, sports, and space exploration.

3. How is "A little bit beyond projectile motion" different from traditional projectile motion?

Traditional projectile motion only takes into account the effects of gravity and ignores other factors such as air resistance and spin. "A little bit beyond projectile motion" expands on this concept and considers these additional factors, resulting in a more accurate representation of the motion of objects.

4. What are some real-life examples of "A little bit beyond projectile motion?"

Examples of "A little bit beyond projectile motion" can be seen in activities such as throwing a football or baseball, where the spin of the ball and air resistance play a role in its trajectory. Another example is the motion of satellites, where the gravitational pull of different celestial bodies and the effects of air resistance must be considered.

5. How is "A little bit beyond projectile motion" studied and analyzed?

Scientists use mathematical models and simulations to study and analyze "A little bit beyond projectile motion." These models take into account various factors such as air resistance, spin, and non-uniform gravitational fields to predict the motion of objects in different scenarios. Experimental data is also collected and analyzed to validate these models.