A mass attached to a pulley- torque

In summary, the angular acceleration of the disc in this system is approximately 31.033 rad/s2, with the positive direction being counterclockwise. This was found by setting up equations for the forces and torques acting on the disc and block, and using the relationships between these variables for circular motion. It is important to pay attention to positive and negative directions when setting up these equations.
natasha13100
Could someone please explain to me where I am going wrong? I've tried combining the relevant equations below in multiple ways. Also, I'm not sure if my answer is given in rad/s2 or °/s2.

Homework Statement

A uniform solid disc of mass 1.2 kg and radius 0.24 m is free to rotate on a horizontal frictionless axle passing through the center of the disc. A long light string is wrapped around the disc; a block of mass 1.9 kg is suspended on the string as shown. The system is released from rest, and the block begins to descend. Find the magnitude of the angular acceleration α of the disc. Enter your answer in rad/s2 and use g = 9.8 m/s2.

Homework Equations

force(F)=mass(m)*acceleration(a)
torque(t)=radius(R)*F*sin(θ) where θ=angle between R and F when the tails are placed together
Ʃt=moment of inertia(I)*angular acceleration(α)
I=mR2
tangential acceleration(atan)=Rα
I=1/2mR2/SUP] for discs of uniform density

The Attempt at a Solution

I use m for the mass of the block and M for the mass of the disc. a is the tangential acceleration/acceleration of the block and α is the angular acceleration.
For the disc, there is a normal force exerted by the axle that is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force of gravity. There is also string tension(T).
Two forces are acting on the mass: string tension and gravitational force.
The two equations relevant to α are Ʃt=I*α and a=R*α.
All of the torque is coming from the force T so Ʃt=t=RFsin(θ)=.24T. Additionally, I=1/2MR2=1/2(1.2)(.24)2=.03456. Therefore, .24T=.03456α and T=.144α
Tension also acts on the mass.
The net force(F)=T-the force due to gravity(G)=T-mg and F=ma so ma=T-mg and T=ma+mg=1.9a+1.9*9.8=1.9a+18.62
Therefore, .144α=1.9a+18.62. Next, I use a=Rα to make the equation .144α=1.9(.24)α+18.62 or .144α=.456α+18.62.
.312α=-18.62 so α=-4655/78≈-59.67948718

Physics news on Phys.org
natasha13100 said:
For the disc, there is a normal force exerted by the axle that is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force of gravity. There is also string tension(T).

The normal force is not equal to the force of gravity. (There are three vertical forces acting on the disk that must add to zero.) However, this doesn't affect your solution since the normal force doesn't create a torque.

In your calculations, you need to be careful with positive and negative directions. Does your positive direction for the angular acceleration of the disk correspond to your positive direction for the acceleration of the block?

I used the right hand rule to check and it doesn't. Therefore, α is positive 59.67948718.

You need to consider if the relation between the acceleration of the block and the angular acceleration of the pulley is a = +αR or a = -αR.

When the block is released, the pulley will start to undergo angular acceleration in a particular direction (CW or CCW depending on which side the block is on). Suppose you take positive angular acceleration to correspond to the direction the pulley accelerates.

The block will accelerate downward. So, it would be convenient to take downward as the positive direction of acceleration for the block. That way, when α is positive then a will also be positive and you can write a = +αR.

But if you take downward as the positive direction for the block, how should you choose the signs of the forces when you set up ƩF = ma for the block?

ƩF=mg-T=ma

natasha13100 said:
ƩF=mg-T=ma

Right. So, go back to your calculations and use this equation instead of T - mg = ma

The net force(F)=the force due to gravity(G)-T=mg-T and F=ma so ma=mg-T and T=mg-ma=1.9*9.8-1.9a=18.62-1.9a
Therefore, .144α=18.62-1.9a. Next, I use a=Rα to make the equation .144α=-1.9(.24)α+18.62 or .144α=-.456α+18.62.
.6α=18.62 so α≈31.03333333333333

That looks correct to me. The equation a = αR requires the rotation angle to be in radians. So, your answer for α will be rad/s2.

FAQ: A mass attached to a pulley- torque

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. How is torque related to a mass attached to a pulley?

In the context of a mass attached to a pulley, torque refers to the force exerted on the pulley by the mass as it rotates around the pulley's axis. This torque is responsible for the acceleration of the mass and the rotation of the pulley.

3. What factors affect the torque in a system with a mass attached to a pulley?

The torque in a system with a mass attached to a pulley is affected by the force applied to the mass, the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied, and the size of the pulley.

4. How does the direction of the force affect the torque in a system with a mass attached to a pulley?

The direction of the force applied to the mass can affect the direction of the torque in a system with a mass attached to a pulley. If the force is applied perpendicular to the radius of the pulley, it will generate a torque in the direction of rotation. If the force is applied parallel to the radius, it will not generate any torque.

5. Can the torque in a system with a mass attached to a pulley be increased?

Yes, the torque in a system with a mass attached to a pulley can be increased by either increasing the force applied to the mass or increasing the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. This can be accomplished by using a larger mass or a larger pulley, or by increasing the force applied to the mass.