A multiple concept problem thermal expansion/stress

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving steam beams with concrete on the sides and the pressure exerted by the concrete. The equation used to solve for the stress of the concrete is provided, along with the values for Young's Modulus and alpha. However, the final answer given in the book is significantly different from the calculated answer. The conversation also touches on converting from decimal notation to scientific notation.
Janinever
Hi guys!

I think I need to explain myself before I ask for the advice :) I'm 27 (so been in grade 12 ages ago) - I didn't have science, I wrote it years later. Now I'm enrolled for a Bsc degree in the hope of getting into medical school (very tough in South Africa). I'm putting a lot of time into studying and started physics now - but I'm clueless - so have to start from the bottom and hit a bit of a roadblock!

I got a multiple concept problem - I managed to follow along in the book to where they reached the section just before the answer... but how they get from the final part of the equation to the answer is a mystery - and I see many more like these in the book but no explanation so I'm guessing this part was sort of "assumed knowledge from school".

Homework Statement

The problem involves steam beams with concrete on the sides. So with the increase in temp the beams have no space to expand but the concrete is exerting pressure to avoid expansion of the beams. They want to know what pressure the concrete is exerting.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So in the book they mention and explain Youngs Modulus

After some equations have been substituted into others (this i understand which is why I haven't included this) you end up with

Stress = Y (alpha) (T-T0)

and we also know that
y=2.0 x 10^11 N/m^2 and (alpha) = 12 x 10^-6 (Celsius degrees)^-1

Now if you put that into the above stress equation you get :

(2.0 x 10^11 N/m^2) {12 x 10^-6(Celsuis degrees)^-1}(42-23)And now I have no clue further...

the books answer is 4.6 x 10^7 N/m^2

I have no idea how they even get close to this answer. If anyone can help me please explain as if I am a little kiddie :) Doing this after SO many years is really difficult but with many hours of studying I'm really motivated to learn!

Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Janinever! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Stress = Y (alpha) (T-T0)

and we also know that
y=2.0 x 10^11 N/m^2 and (alpha) = 12 x 10^-6 (Celsius degrees)^-1

Now if you put that into the above stress equation you get :

(2.0 x 10^11 N/m^2) {12 x 10^-6(Celsuis degrees)^-1

And now I have no clue further...

the books answer is 4.6 x 10^7 N/m^2
The books answer differs from your expression by a factor x19.2

Could this hint at somethinghttps://www.physicsforums.com/images/icons/icon5.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about the 19.2?

I find the answers using the calculator - but how to write that answer in the terms of for example (4.6 x 10^7) is confusing...

I sort of get how it could get to there but further on in the book there are answers such as 5.6 10^-2 (for these I also get a normal decimal on the calculator but have no clue how they convert it to those answers).

Sorry for sounding so confusing!

Janinever said:
Not sure about the 19.2?
Now that you've gone back and fixed it, I think you agree with the book. Yes? :smile:
I sort of get how it could get to there but further on in the book there are answers such as 5.6 10^-2 (for these I also get a normal decimal on the calculator but have no clue how they convert it to those answers).
You need some work on converting from 0.0002 to 2.0x10-4 ? Maybe someone can point to a good site. That's converting from decimal notation to scientific notation. Maybe try a google search for a tutorial on that topic.

Wonderful, now I know what it's called :) (have a lot ahead of me!) - I'm doing a maths module as well, I should probably get a bit further with that before tackling the physics - scientific notation seems to be one of the next sections. Thanks so much! :)

FAQ: A multiple concept problem thermal expansion/stress

1. What is thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion refers to the tendency of materials to expand or contract in response to changes in temperature. When a material is heated, its molecules vibrate faster, causing them to take up more space and thus increase in volume.

2. How does thermal expansion affect structures and objects?

Thermal expansion can cause structures and objects to change in size and shape, which can lead to issues such as warping, distortion, and even failure. This is because different materials have different rates of thermal expansion, so when they are combined in a structure, they may expand or contract at different rates, causing stress and strain.

3. What is stress in relation to thermal expansion?

Stress is the force per unit area that is applied to a material. When a material experiences thermal expansion, this can result in stress being applied to the material. If the stress becomes too great, the material can deform or even break.

4. Can thermal expansion be controlled or prevented?

Thermal expansion cannot be prevented, as it is a natural property of materials. However, it can be controlled by using materials with similar rates of thermal expansion in structures, or by using techniques such as expansion joints to allow for movement without causing stress.

5. How is thermal expansion measured and calculated?

Thermal expansion is typically measured in terms of the coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE), which is the fractional change in size of a material per degree change in temperature. It can be calculated by dividing the change in length or volume by the original length or volume, and then dividing by the change in temperature.